Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No I don't, and neither do the schools nor does NCLB. Trying to say that it does marks you as either intentionally deceptive or ignorant of the demands made by NCLB.
NCLB demands that each school district improve each year, and that all students are proficient at their grade level in reading and math by 2014. Nowhere and in no way does it demand that all students perform at the same level.

I happen to think that the failing of NCLB is that, at least in the sort term, so much effort is being put into ensuring that the underperforming students get up to proficiency levels, the upper tier students, those who score very well, and are significantly more proficient than their peers, are ignored, instead of being challenged.

You think this realistic? Lets assume you do. What about the flow of illegal aliens that are coming into are schools? Let me guess you also think that 3 years after being in this country the should be a grade level also? How many illegals live in Livingston,Scotch Plains,Cranford, and Westfield? All "Passing" districts. Now look at New Brunswick,Paterson,Newark and tell me how the flow of illegals makes teaching even tougher. Let me guess you think teachers should not only teach but they should go home with students and then maybe stand at the border and do the border patrols jobs as well.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
What's wrong with creating measurable standards for accheivement and then asking that they be met?

How long did it take NJ to translate state tests? Whose fault is that the teachers union?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:21 PM

While I do agree with some of you that some teachers are not doing a good job but the same holds true for any job. You have Best,Avg and poor. Again the problem is its all political and most of you fail to admit it.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
You do realize that teachers do not decide whats taught.....they follow orders from above........if your school system isn't "excellent" you need to look at whos in charge.....not the teachers.
The people "from above" need to be accountable also. Lack of accountability is much bigger than just a problem with the teachers, it's pervasive.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
While I do agree with some of you that some teachers are not doing a good job but the same holds true for any job. You have Best,Avg and poor. Again the problem is its all political and most of you fail to admit it.
The difference is that in other jobs, you can fire the worst workers.

Again, as I've stated earlier, when businesses fail, they go out of business. When government organizations fail, they take more money from the tax payer.

For the most part, the ability of those in the private sector to do poorly is limited, because eventually they run out of money if they're bad enough (unless they can convince the government to throw money at them ... )

Old 01-16-2010, 03:46 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Many on here say that its possible to measure a teachers proficency but not one who makes these claims says how. I'd be very curious to hear specific details of their plans rather than random claims ?

Old 01-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Many on here say that its possible to measure a teachers proficency but not one who makes these claims says how. I'd be very curious to hear specific details of their plans rather than random claims ?
Not true, I provided some examples.

looks Like Gov Christie has declared war on NJEA

Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post

Again, as I've stated earlier, when businesses fail, they go out of business. When government organizations fail, they take more money from the tax payer.

For the most part, the ability of those in the private sector to do poorly is limited, because eventually they run out of money if they're bad enough (unless they can convince the government to throw money at them ... )

Actually you are all wrong. YOu can go after someone with tenure. While it may take a lot longer then the private sector it can be done and has been done. A teacher who gets bad evals for an entire year can have his tenure removed. It does not take burning down a school.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:59 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:

Thank you. Read this and learn, everyone. It seems that whenever a school underperforms, the absolute first thing the teachers say is we need more money.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 01-16-2010 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 05:42 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,949 times
Quote:
I could propose several, but that's somewhat beside the point -- it's a question better left to education experts.

Off the top of my head, here are a few:

(1) student improvement (not just their test scores, the point is that you compare their percentile on exit with their percentile going in)
So if a student doesn't improve adequately you wish to blame the teacher ?

(2) peer review and performance evaluations. This is good enough to weed out the really bad teachers.
They already have peer review.

(3) student evaluations (e.g. evaluations written by the students) (this is also one way to flag really bad teachers)
Wonderful....so a problem student gets to judge a teacher thats been pushing that student all year to do better ?

Thats your great "plan" to judge a teachers ability.....are you serious ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey