Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times

Advertisements

Ollieburger and Bigsandyb

A bit of info here .....

I seriously doubt that you'll find property in la luz for $100,000 and so if you choose to live in Alamo i believe that you can find affordable housing in the area between First Street in the south of the city up to Indian Wells Ave north of the city . If you really like la luz you might want to also check out Tularosa about 10 miles north of town.

Even if you live in Alamo once your at the city limit north of town at North Florida Ave and Highway U.S. 82 it's about a ten minute drive up to the tunnel and once thru it you're in the Lincoln National Forest for hundreds of square miles as there is camp grounds galore, hiking trails, fishing streams and lakes etc.. You can even golf up there at The Lodge hotel (Cloudcroft) as the tee off is at 9,000 ft elevation.

When you visit Cloudcroft you'll see license plates from different states all around New Mexico as they had to travel a long distance to get there and yet in Alamogordo you're just minutes away should you choose to relocate to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 PM

71 posts, read 157,177 times
Ollieburger and 6 ft 3

Alamo will be fine..........we have had realtors out this week to look at our house, and are disappointed to learn that the market is still slow here in south central TX.....so won't be moving this year, looks like.
But we are planning our June through October camping trip in NM and will be looking in the Alamogordo area. Am sure we will camp in the Lincoln forest near Ruidoso & Bonito Lake, as we did last summer, and also at Oliver Lee State Park outside Alamo.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
Back I the day I lived at the Tinsley Trailer Court in Alamogordo. I believe it's gone now.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:01 AM

Default Alamo area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Back I the day I lived at the Tinsley Trailer Court in Alamogordo. I believe it's gone now.
I am beginning to understand how full-time rv-ers are created. But I don't think I could give up having a "home base" somewhere.

Last edited by bigsandyb; 11-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: repetition

Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Trailers and RVs are quite different. Many of the former stay in the same place for decades. It would be fun to have an RV, but I can't see it as a permanent residence. At least not with all the stuff I've got.

I get the impression that La Luz is rather insular.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Trailers and RVs are quite different. Many of the former stay in the same place for decades. It would be fun to have an RV, but I can't see it as a permanent residence. At least not with all the stuff I've got.

Understand that house trailers/ mobile homes are different lifestyle from RVers, who can move season to season. We bought a vintage 80s pop-up camper and really enjoyed it this past summer into Oct. Everything works, and dh checked out the brakes, bearings, etc. and we like it fine. It fits our budget and allows us to see everything we want to see, except we steer clear of large cities. Mountain roads can get a bit hairy. We learned a lot about camping, some of it the hard way!

Think you are probably right about La Luz being perhaps a not so friendly and welcoming place to outlanders, as are some small towns everywhere. We are not set on it as a place to buy, and like Alamo about as well. And for sure there are many more choices as to homes that are affordable.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 AM

There's a brand new subdivision being built just south of Panorama Blvd in the south side of town as the sign out there stated ''homes for the $150,000's'' as they look super nice and are all ''Energy Star'' as the appliances, washers/dryers, lighting etc. are super energy efficient as that should make the utility costs very low and the lots are filling up fast as i assume they are in high demand and so those interested may want to look into it.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post

I believe that there's a mobile home park in La Luz next to U.S. 54.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I believe that there's a mobile home park in La Luz next to U.S. 54.
Sorry, I don't get the connection with its being "insular" (or not). I don't much want to live in a mobile home park.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
There's a brand new subdivision being built just south of Panorama Blvd in the south side of town as the sign out there stated ''homes for the $150,000's'' as they look super nice and are all ''Energy Star'' as the appliances, washers/dryers, lighting etc. are super energy efficient as that should make the utility costs very low and the lots are filling up fast as i assume they are in high demand and so those interested may want to look into it.

We will be looking at $100,000 max, and have found numerous older and smaller homes in decent neighborhoods in Alamo that would suit us fine. We will be looking when we come for our next camping trip. Right now, we are getting our present house into "for sale" shape, with new paint, tile floors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico