Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Catman ...do you mean nite clubs/bars as a place to play?? It used to be Honky Tonk clubs i.e. Desperado, Eagles Nest, Rocket Lounge and a biker bar i.e.Jerrys Lounge....but as its grown its becoming a progressive city so the scene may have changed although i no longer frequent the club scene so you may need to check it out your self and see what you see.

There are lots of outdoor festivals with lots of different music venues in the parks and up in the mountain communities thru out the year. Also Holloman AFB brings in people from all over the USA who are stationed there and also retire there so they bring their music intrests to the area.

I like Moriarity but keep in mind in the winter months the pass to Albuquerque and I-40 will shut down at times because of the snow.....

Anyway we are mostly very friendly in Alamogordo so WELCOME if you decide to stay and if not then best of luck to ya....harry !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Last year they had a bond issue in Alamo to build a new state of the art library where the old IGA store is on tenth st. but the voters voted it down. So we'll see.......
Ah. So they keep that sign up as a reminder to prod people to pass it one day....

Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Cathy,
Congrats on your decision to move to Alamo.
Good luck in getting ready to move.
We are looking forward to our move too but still needing to sell the house here in Texas first.
Cheryl
Thanks, Cheryl, same to y'all!!

I am going to sell mine after Alamo closes. I will be back and forth for a bit, but it should not take long to sell it here. We have a housing crunch in that price range here, so hopefully it won't drag on too long!!

Good luck to you also! If you are in Fburg, it should not take that long!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I play jazz and classic rock, but am open to just about anything. Right now I'm in a big band that plays mostly 1940s swing (Benny Goodman, etc.) I play fretless electric bass and tuba (traditional jazz or 'Dixieleand').
1940s Big Band? Wow! Do you get a younger audience for that these days?

I like almost anything other than heavy metal and very hard/screamy rock.

My fav is what I was raised on and played all of the time in family/other bands at rodeos and such....traditional country. We did a lot of Bob Wills, Hag, Ray Price, Johnny Bush, etc.

But I tend to listen to a mix, too.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,921 times
Cathy, congrats on your new home! I just got back from a trip to Alamo and Silver City, to check them out for mom and dad. I like Alamo. I like the mountains in the distance. It was hot but not humid like San Antonio. I gave mom and dad thumbs up for Alamo. I dont know if someone had kids I would suggest Alamo since the schools arent very good from what I have learned and seen but for an elderly couple or just someone not needing alot of night action, I think it is a nice town to settle into.

Silver City, I love the north area I think called Gila Wilderness. Beautiful. I didnt get to dawdle around since I had a time limit but I think I will go back someday when I have more time to investigate. Also didnt have time to go up to Cloudcroft but hope to if mom moves to Alamo, I will have time to go, everytime I visit. Silver City is a nice town but it feels isolated to me. It would be more for someone who likes more of a remote area. I like that Alamo is close to El Paso for hospitals too. Anyway Cathy congrats and hope you will enjoy Alamo. Thanks for the posts to us all and good luck!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Default Playing music professionally

harry o: I haven't played in bars and/or clubs for a long time, but I'll do whatever it takes to make a living. I used to have a good time doing that.

Are there any anti-smoking ordinances (in Alamo or statewide)? I'm not thrilled at playing in very smoky places. I realize that a commute from Moriarty to ABQ in winter might be problematical! Outdoor festivals would be fun, but I doubt that the income would be very dependable (what am I saying?!) from those.

cathy4017: Most of the people around here that like 1940s music are not young, but I'm 60! However, there are surprisingly many who are young and love the dancing and music from that era.

I have a Masters in Library Science that I've never used. I got it in 1988, but the Dallas Public Library had just let 20 or 30 experienced librarians go about that time, so the job market was poor, and I was doing so well playing that it didn't matter. The mention of the new library being built in Alamo piqued my interest!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,921 times
Catman, have you looked into Silver City? It seems like an artsy town to me and had quite a few tourists when I was there. It may be something to look at. Sorry Cathy, didnt mean to hijack Alamo thread, but just thought Catman might look there since it seems like an artsy place.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Cathy, congrats on your new home! I just got back from a trip to Alamo and Silver City, to check them out for mom and dad. I like Alamo. I like the mountains in the distance. It was hot but not humid like San Antonio. I gave mom and dad thumbs up for Alamo. I dont know if someone had kids I would suggest Alamo since the schools arent very good from what I have learned and seen but for an elderly couple or just someone not needing alot of night action, I think it is a nice town to settle into.

Silver City, I love the north area I think called Gila Wilderness. Beautiful. I didnt get to dawdle around since I had a time limit but I think I will go back someday when I have more time to investigate. Also didnt have time to go up to Cloudcroft but hope to if mom moves to Alamo, I will have time to go, everytime I visit. Silver City is a nice town but it feels isolated to me. It would be more for someone who likes more of a remote area. I like that Alamo is close to El Paso for hospitals too. Anyway Cathy congrats and hope you will enjoy Alamo. Thanks for the posts to us all and good luck!
Thanks, Luv, the good wishes are much appreciated! I do have some regrets about Farmington, but I think Alamo will work out better in the long run. Being that close to CO was one of the things I was looking forward to. But the long drive when I have to go back and forth to check on family, etc. was the big downer, along with the outrageous prices for housing.

IF I had kids in school, I don't know that I would choose any place in New Mexico at all--or I'd homeschool if I did.

I can't believe that Cloudcroft (20 miles), High Rolls (12) and Ruidoso (40)...along with Ski Apache (65) are all so CLOSE. It will be so easy to go up to get away from the heat!! The Gila wilderness is neat (been a long time, but...) There is so much so close by.....and yet the housing is much more reasonable, and I got my indoor swimming year-around....with having THREE places to choose from.

I love El Paso...always have. But I can't take the ratrace of a big city--not on a daily basis.

My question for your mom and dad is.......have they considered what a huge adjustment it might be for them to go from San Antonio (very large) to little bitty (relatively speaking) Alamo? I guess it depends on what they want, but they are giving up a lot in terms of many amenites. But I guess they have probably sat at the kitchen table many late evenings going over the pros and cons, LOL!!

Anyway, good luck to both them and you. Any idea when you might build on your lot in Bayfield?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Catman, have you looked into Silver City? It seems like an artsy town to me and had quite a few tourists when I was there. It may be something to look at. Sorry Cathy, didnt mean to hijack Alamo thread, but just thought Catman might look there since it seems like an artsy place.
Hey, no apology necessary....LOL!!

Silver City is beautiful....but it was not for me because there is no year-around indoor swimming!! But it's only 180 miles from Alamo, so I can visit!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Cathy,
If we are in town at the same time we can go to the tailgaiting at the space center..I go with friends, and they have bands in the summer. I will have to make sure we are in.
These are the bands and dates.

County Bunch - June 9th
The Kene Terry Band - June 23rd
Ben Martinez Project - July 7th
Billy Townes & Modern Session - July 21
Sheldon & County Connection - August 11th
Big Bank on the Rio Grande - August 25th

Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico