Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times

Advertisements

I really wish our language and culture was preserved under the state legislature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@SHV-ATL: I'm not talking about accents, local vocabulary, or influences; of course there are differences between Memphis and NOLA in all those. But both are English-speaking cities, just with a distinct native accent.

Montreal is a real French-speaking city. It operates in French, though many French speakers are bilingual. NOLA is English-speaking: jobs, schools, shops, colleges, street conversations, just with a more exotic accent. The French Quarter street signs in French are mostly for visitors; they're a nod to French Creole heritage, yes, but in practical terms the signs are fluff, and virtually no one in NOLA speaks French unless he/she is studying it at Tulane or U of NO. Many Europeans I've met are surprised at that. Often they were expecting a "functionally Francophone" city like Montreal. What they actually do find is, linguistically, much closer to Memphis.
Oh yeah, of course you're right. I didnt at all mean to convey that New Orleans is a real French speaking city. Just that the French influence extends throughout and is represented in the accent, architecture, street names, etc. So much so that I cringe reading Memphis and New Orleans in the same sentence. Even though I completely understand what you meant in that linguistically New Orleans is nothing like Montreal

Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
How about that the USACE failed New Orleans during Katrina, while it was just as much the lack of upkeep by local levee boards.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How about that the USACE failed New Orleans during Katrina, while it was just as much the lack of upkeep by local levee boards.
Oh , now you've gone and done it .

Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Uh oh...where's the door?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Everyone seems to think New Orleans is always hot, rainy and humid, filled with bugs and alligators, and everyone says "Nawlins".

Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Everyone seems to think New Orleans is always hot, rainy and humid, filled with bugs and alligators, and everyone says "Nawlins".
The hot and humid part is kind of hard to argue with...especially right now. But the whole Nawlins thing makes me want to thump small cats

Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM

246 posts, read 374,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVtoATL View Post
The hot and humid part is kind of hard to argue with...especially right now. But the whole Nawlins thing makes me want to thump small cats
People who believe that "Nawlins" & "Cher" are vocabulary mainstays in NOLA make me want to jump off the CCC.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM

26 posts, read 41,365 times
What I noticed the few times I visited New Orleans is they don't have a much Southern accent. No offense, but the accent there sounded a lot like a New York accent. I for one was really surprised. Some of the people there talked with that New York accent so thick I could just barely understand them and I'm hard of hearing anyways. I had to ask a lot of people to repeat there selves. Most of the time though I just acted like I understood what they were saying and shook my head in acknowledgement and said uh-huh, uh-huh, as they talked. Must have been a lot of New Yorkers that settled in New Orleans. That's all I could surmise.

I was also surprised at how strong the coffee is down there. I always drink my coffee black, no cream or sugar as I read the morning newspaper, but the coffee there in New Orleans, I just couldn't drink it. I thought the coffee tasted like it came straight from the ground. Like what you might think roots would tastes like.I figured the Mississippi river might have something to do with that coffee being so strong. It was about as strong as Starbucks and I think Starbucks coffee tastes burnt. I honestly don't see how anybody can drink that stuff and actually enjoy it. If you have to add cream and suger, then it ain't coffee anymore. It becomes something else.

Last edited by Virgil Steiner; 08-12-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,948,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
What I noticed the few times I visited New Orleans is they don't have a much Southern accent. No offense, but the accent there sounded a lot like a New York accent. I for one was really surprised. Some of the people there talked with that New York accent so thick I could just barely understand them and I'm hard of hearing anyways. I had to ask a lot of people to repeat there selves. Most of the time though I just acted like I understood what they were saying and shook my head in acknowledgement and said uh-huh, uh-huh, as they talked. Must have been a lot of New Yorkers that settled in New Orleans. That's all I could surmise.

I was also surprised at how strong the coffee is down there. I always drink my coffee black, no cream or sugar as I read the morning newspaper, but the coffee there in New Orleans, I just couldn't drink it. I thought the coffee tasted like it came straight from the ground. Like what you might think roots would tastes like.I figured the Mississippi river might have something to do with that coffee being so strong. It was about as strong as Starbucks and I think Starbucks coffee tastes burnt. I honestly don't see how anybody can drink that stuff and actually enjoy it. If you have to add cream and suger, then it ain't coffee anymore. It becomes something else.
That's actually a native New Orleans accent. It sounds like a New York accent because the same immigrants landed in both places.

As for our coffee, it's got chicory in it. Real coffee was hard to come by during the Civil War so chicory was substituted. Now we drink it by choice. Any other coffee just doesn't taste right to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans