Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM

154 posts, read 288,072 times

Advertisements

Greenhouse13, seems you could just have your family member write up a landlord letter for you. I wouldn't worry about that too much. We are bailing on the Hobbs interview -- currently live in Park Slope and pay $100 more in rent than what we'd pay at Hobbs, just not worth it for us, especially since we're on a more appealing waiting list that might come through in a couple of years. Good luck all! And post pics, someone, we all want to see what the units look like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 6,792 times
hi all,
wondering about the Elliot J. Hobbs lottery you were posting about last year. I just got an email saying my interview is this week. I am wondering why I got called for an interview a full year after many of you did. I have a couple questions but can't reach anyone with the phone numbers they list in the email.
So, maybe you can help me. Have any of you gotten past the interview phase? If so, what was the interview like and what should I expect? How long after the interview would move-in be?
Also, how are the apartments and amenities in the building? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find any pictures.
And finally, what is the neighborhood like?
Even the lowest priced studios in the building are at the top of my price range but if the apartments are beautiful and the neighborhood is good, it might be worth it.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
I got called for an interview via email last Thursday. The interview is this Thursday at 4pm. We went to view the place, it looks nice from the outside but I was really hoping to find out sq footage before we went crazy trying to supply all of this info

Old 08-11-2015, 10:25 AM

49 posts, read 82,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacoolada724 View Post
I got called for an interview via email last Thursday. The interview is this Thursday at 4pm. We went to view the place, it looks nice from the outside but I was really hoping to find out sq footage before we went crazy trying to supply all of this info
I agree, it is annoying to do so much work up front, if you don't really know if you want it. I wish there was some info about the apartments online but I can't find anything. It just makes me skeptical, because it seems like they are having a hard time filling the apartments and I have to wonder what the issue is you know? Maybe people just feel like the apartments are not that good of a deal in Bed-Stuy? But we are in Williamsburg and are being totally priced out of anything in our area, so we are going to have to move further out anyway...

We have our interview next week, let's update the board if we find out any new info...

Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 AM

pinacoolada724- same here, Thursday at 4pm. I wish there were some pictures online, or at least floorpans. I am hoping a studio is available- I'll be annoyed if it's just the 1-beds, because they are out of my price range and it was a real pain to get all these documents together!

Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 AM

We just went through this with Hunter's Point South and we did sooooo much work upfront because my husband is self-employed, only to find out after it all that they didn't have any of the apartments we qualified for still available. It was super annoying. I have a feeling the same type of thing will happen with these apartments or for some reason we won't want to live there, but I still think it's worth it to go through with the process because it could end up working out well for our family. I've learned with all these lotteries to put in good effort, but never get your hopes up until you have keys to an apartment!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 AM

thanks for the advice Greenhouse. I will definitely post after the interview to let you know what the deal is!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:25 AM

Anyone get any more info from interviews this week?

Old 08-14-2015, 08:29 AM

So, i went to the interview yesterday and it was (maybe unsurprisingly) kind of disorganized. We were sent to the basement where there is a lunchroom and sat at lunch tables to wait. The 2 people doing interviews were Santiago and Vilma, who are both super young and very sweet but visibly overwhelmed. I had my interview with Vilma, she was really nice and everything went well. We went through every page of my documents and she marked my app as completed, and asked if i preferred a studio or 1 bedroom. She said there are lots of studios available but there is a wait list for the 1-bedrooms. She took all my paperwork and the 100 pages I had to sign for various legal things like background check etc and told me the next step is that they do a background check, then the city has to go through the app with a fine tooth comb. If I am still eligible at that point, I could get a call in as little as 5 days. Then I will be invited to see the apartment(s) and if I like one, I can move in that day. But judging by the stacks and stacks of what appeared to be complete/approved applications on one of the tables, it is still a guessing game as to whether I will get an apartment or not. My number was 50k by the way! Oh, and also the J train is really slow, so if you have an interview leave yourself plenty of time to get there! I will update if I get a call, fingers crossed!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimscobie View Post
So, i went to the interview yesterday and it was (maybe unsurprisingly) kind of disorganized. We were sent to the basement where there is a lunchroom and sat at lunch tables to wait. The 2 people doing interviews were Santiago and Vilma, who are both super young and very sweet but visibly overwhelmed. I had my interview with Vilma, she was really nice and everything went well. We went through every page of my documents and she marked my app as completed, and asked if i preferred a studio or 1 bedroom. She said there are lots of studios available but there is a wait list for the 1-bedrooms. She took all my paperwork and the 100 pages I had to sign for various legal things like background check etc and told me the next step is that they do a background check, then the city has to go through the app with a fine tooth comb. If I am still eligible at that point, I could get a call in as little as 5 days. Then I will be invited to see the apartment(s) and if I like one, I can move in that day. But judging by the stacks and stacks of what appeared to be complete/approved applications on one of the tables, it is still a guessing game as to whether I will get an apartment or not. My number was 50k by the way! Oh, and also the J train is really slow, so if you have an interview leave yourself plenty of time to get there! I will update if I get a call, fingers crossed!
Thanks for the update! Did they show you any floor plans or say anything about square footage? Any info on the actual apartments? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery