Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2022, 12:50 PM

29 posts, read 36,525 times

Advertisements

Hmm…I guess they are having everyone submit their docs so it’s a quick process to move on to the next person if someone drops out of the process or doesn’t qualify. I don’t think they are reviewing docs that quickly, which is cool with me. I’m waiting for the new AMI numbers to drop, so they can take their time with the review. Has anyone heard from the marketing agency and has seen a unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 02:24 PM

800 posts, read 729,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoNature View Post
Hmm…I guess they are having everyone submit their docs so it’s a quick process to move on to the next person if someone drops out of the process or doesn’t qualify. I don’t think they are reviewing docs that quickly, which is cool with me. I’m waiting for the new AMI numbers to drop, so they can take their time with the review. Has anyone heard from the marketing agency and has seen a unit?
How does that work? Once the new AMI numbers drop, can that effect closed, but in progress lotteries?

Old 04-17-2022, 02:07 PM

453 posts, read 498,276 times
Quote:
I would really love to see some cold, hard data about this stuff.

I wonder what % of people just apply to stuff they're not close to qualifying for, so get immediately disqualified? What % drop out after being contacted, for whatever reason? Not to mention, even if you drop out before log numbers are assigned, you still get one, that must be a good chunk as well.

I would guess that a fairly small percentage fall into the "qualified, still interested in the lottery, submit docs on time, and ready / willing to move" section of the Venn diagram.

For comparison, we were contacted for 250 Gold Street at log number 53XX. That place had a similar number of 2 bedrooms available to SVEN (40-ish), so a huge number of people must drop out early for there to still be places left (I think they had at least 5-10 two beds left open by our log number). We didn't end up moving there for reasons. But it was eye-opening to learn about the process.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:18 PM

In other news, did anyone know about this?

The most extra thing ever, but I'm not going to lie - I'm into it!

https://nypost.com/2021/11/18/new-to...-spire-colors/

Old 04-17-2022, 02:23 PM

800 posts, read 729,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
In other news, did anyone know about this?

The most extra thing ever, but I'm not going to lie - I'm into it!

https://nypost.com/2021/11/18/new-to...-spire-colors/
Haha yes I knew!

Old 04-17-2022, 02:41 PM

29 posts, read 36,525 times
Quote:

I wonder what % of people just apply to stuff they're not close to qualifying for, so get immediately disqualified? What % drop out after being contacted, for whatever reason? Not to mention, even if you drop out before log numbers are assigned, you still get one, that must be a good chunk as well.

I would guess that a fairly small percentage fall into the "qualified, still interested in the lottery, submit docs on time, and ready / willing to move" section of the Venn diagram.

For comparison, we were contacted for 250 Gold Street at log number 53XX. That place had a similar number of 2 bedrooms available to SVEN (40-ish), so a huge number of people must drop out early for there to still be places left (I think they had at least 5-10 two beds left open by our log number). We didn't end up moving there for reasons. But it was eye-opening to learn about the process.
Same here, I was contacted and approved for 260 Gold with a log number close to 5500 and there were about 5-6 apartments left. I turned it down due to timing, I still had 4 months left on my lease and I did not trust that management would find a new tenant quickly with me on the hook legally.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Same here, I was contacted and approved for 260 Gold with a log number close to 5500 and there were about 5-6 apartments left. I turned it down due to timing, I still had 4 months left on my lease and I did not trust that management would find a new tenant quickly with me on the hook legally.
I am slightly worried about this myself as we just re-signed.

I am really hoping that our landlord is OK with 60-day notice, even if we lose our deposit - the contract doesn't mention anything on that subject. Luckily our current place is fairly nice and a good deal, so I have no doubt they can easily find new tenants.

I would be beyond annoyed if they refused to be flexible about it and we lots the one chance for the lottery because of that (cause what are the chances that the stars align and you find the dream lottery place within the convenient one-month window when it lease renewal time each year?).

Old 04-19-2022, 10:19 AM

Any updates on which numbers they are up to this week?

Old 04-19-2022, 10:43 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
Quote:

How long after log numbers came out did it take for them to get to yours at 250 Gold Street?

Old 04-19-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
How long after log numbers came out did it take for them to get to yours at 250 Gold Street?
Good question. My other half applied for that one. We applied for a couple of buildings in Dec 2020 then lost hope when we came across some negativity - people saying "oh, you'll never win the lottery, or it will take 6-8 years!" so we (stupidly) gave up. I wish I had explored this forum back!

We got contacted around Dec 15th-20th 2021 to submit docs, by which point we had forgotten we applied. That building didn't work out, but I became motivated to research and start entering again! I would imagine log numbers came out around Feb '21, but unclear (we didn't even know about log numbers until far later on when I decided to learn more about the process).

I tried to look it up on here, and surprisingly log number 9XX was called up for the same building in October 2021 so I am baffled as to how they jumped to log numbers in the 5000s within 2 months! Ditto, someone of log number 3XX hadn't heard in July. Someone mentioned in another thread that the place was still being built in March last year! I wonder if they did nothing until fall and then flew through 5k apps within a few months?

The lottery process really is mystifying! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery