Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2024, 12:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanysanders92 View Post
Has anyone gotten a e-mail about renters insurance? I did the liability only with assurantrenters the 8$/ a month plan. Does durst only accept full renters insurance that covers 10/20k for belongings? I'm getting confused by this if anyone can chime in, thanks a ton!
I don't live here but have the same landlord, and received the same email. On the site provided https://assurantrenters.com/ they tell us what Durst accepts as you choose or (remove coverage).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 03:29 PM

33 posts, read 15,460 times
Hey did anyone else get a e-mail about a property inspection this week? how often do these lasts?

Old 03-20-2024, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 2,535 times
Hi all, fascinating to read through this, I was offered 21E but turned it down bc of the sun, overheating issues I've read and because at that floor there is no corner window, so you only see the rail yards, which might be nice higher up but not this low.

So instead I've now been assigned 22T (north facing) which of course they won't let me see until I accept it - but I like the layout and all finishes are the same.

My QUESTION is - I know the apartments start on 15, which by looking at street view is really like equivalent 8 or 9 on a normal building, so 22 is really at the level of 15 or 16 in a normal building - does anyone live north facing that low who can comment on the view? I know it's overlooking mostly lowrise Astoria (I looked at a market rate looking north on 57) but can you see any of the UES or Triborough Bridge, or is it meh?

Wondering if it's worth pestering my poor lottery coordinator more than I already have to find a higher floor unit - they only have 30H and man is it tiny....

Old 03-20-2024, 08:50 PM

347 posts, read 355,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyStarSystem View Post
I was offered 21E but turned it down bc of the sun, overheating issues I've read and because at that floor there is no corner window, so you only see the rail yards, which might be nice higher up but not this low.
I'm on the same side as E; love the sun and never have any heating or AC issues. I am, however, higher up.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:51 AM

521 posts, read 505,164 times
Quote:
Hi all, fascinating to read through this, I was offered 21E but turned it down bc of the sun, overheating issues I've read and because at that floor there is no corner window, so you only see the rail yards, which might be nice higher up but not this low.

So instead I've now been assigned 22T (north facing) which of course they won't let me see until I accept it - but I like the layout and all finishes are the same.

My QUESTION is - I know the apartments start on 15, which by looking at street view is really like equivalent 8 or 9 on a normal building, so 22 is really at the level of 15 or 16 in a normal building - does anyone live north facing that low who can comment on the view? I know it's overlooking mostly lowrise Astoria (I looked at a market rate looking north on 57) but can you see any of the UES or Triborough Bridge, or is it meh?

Wondering if it's worth pestering my poor lottery coordinator more than I already have to find a higher floor unit - they only have 30H and man is it tiny....
I am on 28 and the view is still breathtaking. you can see the river, the airport, upper east side, the uber sign all the way in the Bronx and multiple bridges.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
I'm on the same side as E; love the sun and never have any heating or AC issues. I am, however, higher up.
Thanks for the replies, and I'm glad to hear you like it!.

I was definitely conflicted to let E go, it really is substantially larger, I probably would've taken it if it had the corner window but at 21st fl it's just a wall looking south so didn't seem worth gambling with possible heat issues (I sweat when it's 75, lol). What floor are you on and do you enjoy watching all the train movements? It will be interesting to watch them build the podium for Sunnyside Yards if/when that starts.

Quote:
I am on 28 and the view is still breathtaking. you can see the river, the airport, upper east side, the uber sign all the way in the Bronx and multiple bridges.
Well I certainly hope it maintains some of that panorama 6 floors lower, the views to the north are impressive but I never got to see anything lower than 50's.

It's ironic because I currently live in a lottery apartment, Victoria Tower in Harlem where the lower portion of the building has no windows and supports a new performing arts annex for the Apollo Theater. They designated all that as 5 floors and apartments here start on 6, but that portion is easily 10 or 12 floors equivalent high, so my 15th floor apartment is actually higher up than 22 at Sven. It's a pretty impressive view I'm giving up here but the building is a total nightmare, major floods from faulty piping, impossible to get packages delivered, doormen who are teenagers and ignore you, and I hate to say this but because it's mostly 50% units, at least on my floor, it has more of a low income housing project vibe than luxury building.

I'm breaking my lease to come to Sven so I hope it's as good as it looks!

Old 03-21-2024, 05:32 PM

Almost forgot to ask about the ovens! I've never seen that type of combo convection/microwave, what are the pros and cons?

Old 03-21-2024, 07:32 PM

521 posts, read 505,164 times
Quote:
Almost forgot to ask about the ovens! I've never seen that type of combo convection/microwave, what are the pros and cons?
The ovens were not as bad as I expected the only con is if you are cooking in the oven and there is a step to microwave something you need to wait because its hot, its also bigger than I expected, and normal cookie sheets to not fit but they do.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
The ovens were not as bad as I expected the only con is if you are cooking in the oven and there is a step to microwave something you need to wait because its hot, its also bigger than I expected, and normal cookie sheets to not fit but they do.
Glad to hear it, I will probably donate my microwave after moving in then.

I assume there's a service entrance/elevator for moving in/out? It didn't seem like the lobby was set up for it.

Fun fact, after some research I discovered that Sven Park is built directly over the huge access pit they used for the Queens end of the Eastside Access tunnel bore. It was from here the boring machines were lowered in and after completion at Grand Central, backed up and pulled out. This is why that ventilation building is on the corner of the site, and that construction yard taking up the rest of the block is owned by NYMTA and was used for staging.

I can't find any information about MTA potentially selling the portion of the block they still own, and for maintenance purposes it's possible they might keep part of it to build a permanent facility like they have across Northern Blvd. Either way I doubt it will remain a construction yard too much longer given how valuable it is. I'd imagine eventually it will be sold and there will be a substantial residential building on the site given its proximity to the subway. This could block views of north facing apartments so it will be interesting what they decide to do with it. If anyone has any information it would be interesting to hear!

Old 03-22-2024, 09:15 PM

19 posts, read 14,547 times
Quote:
Glad to hear it, I will probably donate my microwave after moving in then.

I assume there's a service entrance/elevator for moving in/out? It didn't seem like the lobby was set up for it.

Fun fact, after some research I discovered that Sven Park is built directly over the huge access pit they used for the Queens end of the Eastside Access tunnel bore. It was from here the boring machines were lowered in and after completion at Grand Central, backed up and pulled out. This is why that ventilation building is on the corner of the site, and that construction yard taking up the rest of the block is owned by NYMTA and was used for staging.

I can't find any information about MTA potentially selling the portion of the block they still own, and for maintenance purposes it's possible they might keep part of it to build a permanent facility like they have across Northern Blvd. Either way I doubt it will remain a construction yard too much longer given how valuable it is. I'd imagine eventually it will be sold and there will be a substantial residential building on the site given its proximity to the subway. This could block views of north facing apartments so it will be interesting what they decide to do with it. If anyone has any information it would be interesting to hear!
I'm not a land use expert, but I believe that parcel has around 350k sq ft of development rights so, theoretically, there could be a substantial residential building built there.

Overall building height is anyone's guess, though. A building that takes up a larger percentage of the lot area will be shorter, while one that takes up a smaller proportion of the lot can be significantly taller.

ARC, which is 2 blocks north, has a lot that's ~20k sq ft smaller and is about 10 stories high (400k square ft of development rights) and takes up a significant portion of the lot.

I'd say, barring any massive changes, we could see a residential building around ARC's footprint if that plot of land were sold, which is a decent number of apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery