Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2024, 07:04 AM

16 posts, read 15,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn426 View Post
For the folks about to sign leases and pay first months rent and security (congrats btw), I give a warning that you don’t have the same issue I did. After making my payments and waiting for a welcome email, I was told a week before move in that they forgot to include a move in fee with the first rent and had to wire the money to them. It was fine whatever, I didn’t think anything of it, but the wire address wasn’t updated to their current bank so went on a three day goose chase trying to wire my move in fee because I couldn’t manually change the address they told me to send it to. They finally get back to me on THE DAY BEFORE move in to tell me to wire it to the address that pops up anyway. Not a problem, I pay $25 to wire it. 10 minutes later I get the welcome email, and the first sentence says, ‘the move in fee is waived for nycha so it’s credited back’. I couldn’t schedule any move in stuff or any deliveries due to the delay and Verizon for internet was backed up so still waiting on that. Thought it was very unnecessary.

I’m not attacking anybody. I’m sure it was just an oversight. The staff has been very kind and helpful, everybody has been great. I just basically lost $25 wiring the money for no reason and would like to prevent you guys from the same mistake.

If they happen to bring up the move in fee for you as well, maybe mention that it’s waived for us, and hopefully no delays on your end!
hi! How long did it take to receive the lease for signing? I applied to the tower 77 website on Monday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 07:25 AM

11 posts, read 10,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1102 View Post
I sure hope not!!
Haha me too! I'm just getting a tad anxious. Praying for all of us (and hoping for an update)

Old 02-07-2024, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,517 times
Does anyone know if your household number changes after log #s are called and documents submitted, can you be eligible for a different type of apartment?

Old 02-07-2024, 08:47 AM

28 posts, read 30,359 times
Are any of you pet owners? I was just informed the building has a policy of a max of 2 pets with a combined weight of 50 lbs unless they're service animals. That would have been nice to know beforehand. Hoping emotional support animals qualify as service animals.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:50 AM

292 posts, read 271,947 times
Hi guys, we have not filled the 50% CB yet. We have about 80-90 applicants proceeding. We're up to log #6000. The general population will be contacted around April. We will have a lot of studios for you!

Old 02-07-2024, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 10,701 times
Hi Brittany, thank you so much for the update! Much appreciated

Old 02-07-2024, 09:31 AM

16 posts, read 10,161 times
Hi All,

I am sharing my experience with the Tower 77 lottery!
My log numebr is 5xxx; I received a "Submit Additional Documents" notification on December 12th and submitted everything the same day. Then I haven’t heard anything from them up to last Monday when the Marketing agent called, asked a few questions, and then she said "I'll send you a follow-up email with additional docs right now" aaaand disappeared for a week - I called back 3 times, went straight to voicemail and I didn’t know her email to see what else is needed. This Monday I finally got a callback and she indeed sent the list of missing docs; on Tuesday they scheduled a viewing for this Friday, Feb 7th; yesterday, Feb 6th, I sent them all the documents. I really want this apartment and I hope it works out!!

We are 3 people household (me, my mom, and sister) and they will show us 2 bedrooms. I am a little concerned that my sister is a minor (17yo) and they told me that her income won’t count because she is a minor; but now they are asking her paystubs and she made over $10k last year in her part-time job. Has anyone else had this problem with minor members of the family and their income? Please advise, I'll highly appreciate it!

Old 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
So, the marketing handbook says that they are to use the Section 8 rules to determine income except where otherwise specified (p. 43).

The Section 8 rules (that is, HUD Handbook 4350.3 (Chapter 5)) state "Dependents. A dependent is a family member who is under 18 years of
age, is disabled, or is a full-time student
The head of the family, spouse, co-head, foster child, or live-in aide are
never dependents. Some income received on behalf of family
dependents is counted and some is not.
a. Earned income of minors (family members under 18) is not
counted." (4350.3, 5-6 A.1.3)

There is no exception to this rule given in the marketing handbook. Thus, your sister's earned income (from a job) shouldn't count. In accordance with this, the marketing handbook directs the agency to collect earned income information for *adult* members of the household (p. 44).

All of this is available online. Don't be shocked if you have to explain it in small words to the agent. Some of them are not terribly bright. Some of them could do the job perfectly well--if they'd been adequately trained.

Last edited by randomperson2; 02-07-2024 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-07-2024, 10:00 AM

16 posts, read 10,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
So, the marketing handbook says that they are to use the Section 8 rules to determine income except whether otherwise specified (p. 43).

The Section 8 rules (that is, HUD Handbook 4350.3 (Chapter 5)) state "Dependents. A dependent is a family member who is under 18 years of
age, is disabled, or is a full-time student
The head of the family, spouse, co-head, foster child, or live-in aide are
never dependents. Some income received on behalf of family
dependents is counted and some is not.
a. Earned income of minors (family members under 18) is not
counted." (4350.3, 5-6 A.1.3)

There is no exception to this rule given in the marketing handbook. Thus, your sister's earned income (from a job) shouldn't count. In accordance with this, the marketing handbook directs the agency to collect earned income information for *adult* members of the household (p. 44).

All of this is available online. Don't be shocked if you have to explain it in small words to the agent. Some of them are not terribly bright. Some of them could do the job perfectly well--if they'd been adequately trained.
Thank you so much!! This is what I thought, I really appreciate you quoting the marketing book and Section 8 rules!

Old 02-07-2024, 10:11 AM

111 posts, read 135,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyv616 View Post
Hi guys, we have not filled the 50% CB yet. We have about 80-90 applicants proceeding. We're up to log #6000. The general population will be contacted around April. We will have a lot of studios for you!
Thank you for the update Brittany! I know it is a very small percentage set aside for disabled individuals. Any idea when you'll reach those applicants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery