Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2024, 11:09 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soby View Post
hello everyone! I have a question! Once I signed the TIC I can't refuse the apartment! I haven't seen the apartment yet! Is it normal to sign the TIC before seeing the apartment? and what exactly is TIC! Please if someone can explain to me this is related to another apartment lottery
It is normal to sign the TIC before viewing. Every agency does things differently but some have you view before going through final approval (HPD), others have you wait to view until you are fully approved for a specific unit.

That said, you can absolutely withdraw your application at any time before you sign a lease, even if you get HPD approved. Only the lease is a contract.

The TIC is the Tenant Income Certification, it is basically a summary document of what the agency has found your income and household situation is based on the documents you have submitted. It acts like a cover sheet to the file of documents the agency sends to HPD when they are submitting you for final approval. When you sign the TIC, you are basically affirming that what the agency has put on there is accurate (income, assets, household etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 11:29 AM

66 posts, read 47,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
It is normal to sign the TIC before viewing. Every agency does things differently but some have you view before going through final approval (HPD), others have you wait to view until you are fully approved for a specific unit.

That said, you can absolutely withdraw your application at any time before you sign a lease, even if you get HPD approved. Only the lease is a contract.

The TIC is the Tenant Income Certification, it is basically a summary document of what the agency has found your income and household situation is based on the documents you have submitted. It acts like a cover sheet to the file of documents the agency sends to HPD when they are submitting you for final approval. When you sign the TIC, you are basically affirming that what the agency has put on there is accurate (income, assets, household etc.).
thank you so much! you are always a great help in this forum, God bless you

Old 03-14-2024, 01:16 PM

14 posts, read 8,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerMurmurs View Post
You have to add it yourself. We are all tracking manually in the sheet.
okay i understand now, thank you so much

Old 03-14-2024, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 10,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynnyc718 View Post
They do ask for a $500 move-in fee; as I read the lease, there is also a $500 moving-out fee, so look out for that. But they just charge you just the move-in fee upfront. All fees you will pay prior to move in.

As far as the COI and all that other stuff, I'm not too familiar because I did a self-move. The concierge would probably be able to answer those questions.

The renter's insurance is fairly cheap; you can find some under $20 monthly, but it all depends on what you're looking for and how much overall you want covered. They're not super picky about this as long as you're covered. I did pay for the year because it's cheaper in the long run.
Thanks for your answers!

How did you resolve the ConEd issue?

Did they return the $500 move-in fee?

What insurance company did you go with?

When did they give you access to the app that has e-key to the apartment? They said "Please expect an invitation via email within 24 hours of your lease start date for the Carson Portal/App." but what if we are moving on the first day of our lease?

Thank you soo much again!

Old 03-14-2024, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 8,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tati Orange View Post
Thanks for your answers!

When did they give you access to the app that has e-key to the apartment? They said "Please expect an invitation via email within 24 hours of your lease start date for the Carson Portal/App." but what if we are moving on the first day of our lease?

Cant answer the first three but the last one I believe is just the day before/morning of your move in date.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:19 PM

531 posts, read 410,624 times
Quote:
They do ask for a $500 move-in fee; as I read the lease, there is also a $500 moving-out fee, so look out for that. But they just charge you just the move-in fee upfront. All fees you will pay prior to move in.

As far as the COI and all that other stuff, I'm not too familiar because I did a self-move. The concierge would probably be able to answer those questions.

The renter's insurance is fairly cheap; you can find some under $20 monthly, but it all depends on what you're looking for and how much overall you want covered. They're not super picky about this as long as you're covered. I did pay for the year because it's cheaper in the long run.
Quote:
Thanks for your answers!

The move-in fee if it's not a refundable deposit is such a scam, not sure what its legality is but I'm hoping someone can chime in if it should be allowed.

I have lived in many many buildings and never was I charged a fee to move in, the only time there was a fee was if I wanted to move on a weekend, so they had to pay staff to be there and that made sense since I was creating a money event for management to staff the building to allow move in.

I am furious to see the **** some developers are resorting to to make more money. This fee should not be allowed at all.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 20,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
The move-in fee if it's not a refundable deposit is such a scam, not sure what its legality is but I'm hoping someone can chime in if it should be allowed.

I have lived in many many buildings and never was I charged a fee to move in, the only time there was a fee was if I wanted to move on a weekend, so they had to pay staff to be there and that made sense since I was creating a money event for management to staff the building to allow move in.

I am furious to see the **** some developers are resorting to to make more money. This fee should not be allowed at all.
Quote:
Thanks for your answers!

The fee is nonrefundable, but for lottery tenants, they do refund it as a credit.

Issue with ConEd is still ongoing.

You will receive your e-key the same day of your move.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 20,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post

So, for the pet fee, it literally states in the handbook that it is not allowed, I am not sure why they are getting away with that.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:02 PM

16 posts, read 10,161 times
Quote:
The fee is nonrefundable, but for lottery tenants, they do refund it as a credit.

Issue with ConEd is still ongoing.

You will receive your e-key the same day of your move.
That's so weird with these move-in fees, I hear totally different information from you, the concierge, and some other comments in this thread lol. I guess we'll figure out in 2 weeks when I move haha

How do you pay/register for electricity then?

Thanks for the e-key info!

Old 03-14-2024, 05:11 PM

16 posts, read 8,724 times
I just got contacted to submit documents how long does it take after submitting documents for the agency to hit you back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery