Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM

147 posts, read 371,314 times

Advertisements

Stop blaming transplants for causing gentrification and forcing the "natives" out of their homes! I am a transplant(grew up on LI, got a job closer to the city and moved primarily for the commute) and I have a decent enough job that I can afford NYC. Manhattan was always expensive; the outer boroughs got expensive once crime dropped enough to make it a desirable place for most people. Blacks are leaving NY for the same reasons everyone else leaves NY; taxes, better economic opportunities elsewhere. In addition to this, many have family that never left the South and thus relocate to be closer to their roots. Everyone blames the excessive taxes as for making the tri-state expensive, but they fail to see that the high taxes are an effect rather than a cause. As areas become more desirable(esp. in the suburbs), property values increase. Wealthier families move into an area and inflate the cost of living for everyone. Public sector folks who tend to live in the same areas as the places they work therefore demand higher pay to afford the same standard of living and the ones who get screwed are the middle class without the means to increase their pay and the working poor. If you want to bring the cost of living down in NYC, cut services such as education, police, social services to the bone and scare everyone out to the suburbs. As the tax base and infrastructure erodes, the cost of living will drop significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
This is laughable nonsense.

While I thought Dinkins was a nice man personally, he had no clue as mayor, and allowed Al Sharpton to basically run the city. You had Sharpton-driven protests all over the city, with wilding incidents by black youth/criminals, and Dinkins had no control over the city.
Under Dinkins term: More housing rehabilitated than Giuliani did in two terms. And there was significant budget constraints during that time.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Black men that are not ambitious do not flourish there.....Ray Mcguire is one of the most well known deal makers on Wall St.......might I ad he's black. Bernard Beal owner of MR Beal investment banking firm.....he's black.
Hell you had a black Mayor years ago......take it for what it's worth.

I could go on and on about successful black men in NYC.

Know YOU may have not flourished in NYC, that's on you. But don't say black men don't flourish in NYC.

That's so weak......it would be nice if black like you would stop making up excuses for those blacks that cut not cut it.
Lol! How old are you? Your comments are really cute. I am not making excuses for anyone.

I read about him in "Black Enterprise". He does not represent the majority. However, it is nice that you have aspirations. I wish you the best of luck.

I've done quite well for myself living in NYC. However, I do not represent the majority.

Black men DO NOT flourish in NYC. It is a sad fact.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 AM

288 posts, read 566,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
All the whites you see moving in these areas are transplants. White new yorkers have fled to staten island,jersey,and long island. It's not because of racist feelings, it's just ny'ers respect their boundaries. I dated an Italian girl from dyker heights and her dad would talk about this all the time. The white ny'ers despise the tranplants as much as the blacks and latinos who are being pushed out do. Her dad would talk about them loving Obama and shopping at whole foods. lol.
What world are you living in? This has got to be one of the comments that are the most removed from real life I have read on here.

So basically what you're saying is, whenever a "real" New Yorker (note: every single person in New York was a "transplant" at some point, or has "transplant" blood in them) meets someone, they ask them first "are you a born New Yorker or a transplant?" and if it's the latter they just say "*********, you're a fake imbecile, don't talk to me you're not worth my while"?

I mean, Native Indians should have done that 300 years ago. I would love to see where all your "real New Yorkers" would be nowadays.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Lol! How old are you? Your comments are really cute. I am not making excuses for anyone.

I read about him in "Black Enterprise". He does not represent the majority. However, it is nice that you have aspirations. I wish you the best of luck.

I've done quite well for myself living in NYC. However, I do not represent the majority.

Black men DO NOT flourish in NYC. It is a sad fact.
LOL.............black enterprise, now that's cute. I read that sorry magazine about twice a year. B.E. is a joke. Without white advertisers, B.E. would not be around.

Blacks men have flourished in the worst conditions ever in the history of the world but all of a sudden we can't make in NYC......that's itiotic.

The issue is YOU CAN'T flourish in NYC so therefore all black men can't.

You can't flourish. Have fun in the south. Blacks grip and moan as soon as you're "left out" but it never fells blacks always want to self segregate.

Last edited by Ron.; 06-23-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
What world are you living in? This has got to be one of the comments that are the most removed from real life I have read on here.

So basically what you're saying is, whenever a "real" New Yorker (note: every single person in New York was a "transplant" at some point, or has "transplant" blood in them) meets someone, they ask them first "are you a born New Yorker or a transplant?" and if it's the latter they just say "*********, you're a fake imbecile, don't talk to me you're not worth my while"?

I mean, Native Indians should have done that 300 years ago. I would love to see where all your "real New Yorkers" would be nowadays.

New Yorkers that are born and raised here are considered native New Yorkers and the real is the fact that you believe that anybody with a brain can't spot a hipster/yuppy/transplant from a native new yorker...

These people don't exactly blend with the crowd... their sole mission is to stand out and be different since we are not intelligent enough to understand their obviously trendy styles and music... Granted, this isn't all of them but a lot of them do have that mentality and it comes across and irks native New Yorkers of all races... I do agree with el77 on that point...

Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
New Yorkers that are born and raised here are considered native New Yorkers and the real is the fact that you believe that anybody with a brain can't spot a hipster/yuppy/transplant from a native new yorker...

These people don't exactly blend with the crowd... their sole mission is to stand out and be different since we are not intelligent enough to understand their obviously trendy styles and music... Granted, this isn't all of them but a lot of them do have that mentality and it comes across and irks native New Yorkers of all races... I do agree with el77 on that point...
And what about the ones who were born here, grew up in Manhattan, went to schools like Stuyvesant and the Chapin School, went away for 4 years to an Ivy League school, majored in applied math and return to Manhattan at age 22 to start a highly paid management consulting or investment banking job?

You think you can distinguish between them and one of the people you like to call "transplants"? Wake up. Do you think all "native New Yorkers" act and behave just like you?

This spate of transplant-hate-BS on this forum is ridiculous. The small-mindedness around here is just getting worse.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM

288 posts, read 566,639 times
Yes, of course. When people consider moving to New York, the only reason to do so is to "stand out" from the bland pack of grey and boring native New Yorkers who's sole worry is to "blend in" and be as unrecognizable as possible.

That's why some of the most daring and innovative arts, fashion and music trends were born in New York. Oh, wait. Now I get it. De La Soul, Dondi, Sene, 10 Deep, Mishka, Dash Snow, Alife, Irak Crew, Scorsese, KRS ONE etc etc etc ... all evil transplants who only wanted to "stand out" and are universally hated by real native pure blooded New Yorkers.

I'm learning new things every day.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I have to agree with you Henna. For all the crap we talk about the rest of America, alot of "native" NYers are just as bad if not worse in most cases IMO. It's sad.

This is slightly off topic but during the Republican Debate, there was a black candidate who said " I would not feel comfortable having a Muslim in my cabinet." He elaborated further: "And that's because there are some regular ones, and some radical ones, so I wouldn't be comfortable and would not have a Muslim in my cabinet."

My jaw dropped and NOBODY contested that statement! Now simply replace the word Muslim with Black, and re-read that statement. Of all the people who should know better than to make such a statement, it was the Black man on stage. Imagine if Mitt Romney or anyone else said they would not bring a Black into their cabinet, and his reason was because there are some normal ones but also some radical ones!!! So sad not only that it was said and by the black man, but moreso that everyone thought the statement was AOK!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
98.3% off the posters on this thread are annoying **** in one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City