Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
completely OT but all i know is my Nuyorican and PR friends were and still are some of the warmest and most caring people i have ever known. When i was too broke to do anything other than pay rent they and only they (not even my family) were the ones who made sure i had food in the kitchen and a jacket on my back.
i will never forget the love that i felt and continue to feel to this day from the PR community and it saddens me tremendously that you guys are leaving in droves.
Don't worry we're not... lol... And appreciate the comment bro... I know some people think Puerto Ricans can be rude or too honest sometimes and its probably true for some of us (we don't hold back lol) but I do feel that as a whole we're a very caring people and that once we warm up to our friends, those are our friends for life and we'll have their back no matter what the situation...

Other hispanic cultures ive known in NYC may be a little nicer on the surface but won't be as caring once they're your friends either so in the end people have to just realize that there's good and bad attributes to each and every culture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
I always had MAD love for PRs. As a kid, I had a special thing for PR girls and a few of my black female friends would get on me for that saying "they got too much attitude..." lol What can I say? Give me a Rosie Perez kinda chick and I'm over the moon. But I digress...back to the PR population.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Don't disagree with what Sobroguy said for the most part, but I think that because he lives in an area concentrated with low-income PR's he doesn't see that the decline of PR's in certain neighborhoods isn't so much due to the exodus of PR's from NYC but more in part due to the increase of the middle class Puerto Rican population moving to a number of different working to middle class areas across the city... Areas like Pelham Bay in the Bronx, Park Slope in Brooklyn or any number of areas in Queens like Woodhaven, Ridgewood, Glendale or Maspeth... Again like Sobroguy said, there are a number of Puerto Ricans that have moved to areas like Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, NC, and Florida but the Puerto Rican population is still the highest in the country and it remains as the number one hispanic group in the city... Until the time comes when that no longer is the case which is probably sooner rather than later, to say that the PR populationis dwindling is a little out of whack...

To answer your second question the areas that have the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans in no specific order just based on the eye test would go like this... Again (I know the city well but cannot vouge for statistics so you can verify the numbers with other people who are more knowledgeable than I am about this topic)

Mott Haven, Bronx
Hunts Point, Bronx
Pelham Bay, Bronx
Spanish Harlem, Manhattan
Lower East Side, Manhattan (specifically towards Aves C and D)
Southside, Williamsburg
Bushwick, Brooklyn
Cypress Hills, Brooklyn
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Woodhaven, Queens
Ridgewood, Queens
Glendale, Queens (Especially along the Ridgewood/Bushwick border)
Maspeth, Queens (Moreso along the Ridgewood border)

Staten Island has a large middle-class Puerto Rican population scattered all over. It is listed at 12.1%, some of that includes a small percentage of Mexicans.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
After taking a closer look at this statement I forgot to ask you a few questions though...

In terms of the eastern end of Cypress ave being 30% Puerto Rican, what blocks are you not sure about...I am very familiar with the borders for these two areas in question so I could tell you whether its in Ridgewood or Glendale...

I also wanted to know if you knew the exact percentage or a close rough estimate of the Puerto Rican population in Bushwick and where are the concentrations the highest and what are they... I also wanted to know what is the closest estimate for East Harlem as well...

What is the Puerto Rican population in Ozone Park? Do they have any parts where there is a strong Puerto Rican population or is it just majority west indian/asian... When I worked in john adams, there were alot of Guyanese around there and other asian groups but there was also a very strong hispanic presence over there mainly Puerto Rican/Dominican so I was just wondering what the Puerto Rican pop. was like over there... Thanks again man...
I'm talking about the very eastern end of Cypress Avenue, all the way by Cooper Avenue. On this map, it's tract 565 (Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com). My instinct is to say Glendale based on the location, but the Hispanic population is 77%, which suggests to me that it's Ridgewood.

And yes, I have the exact percentage, but the thing is that the only way you can get it for free (without getting a 30-day trial, which I don't want to do) is to go to a university, and I only go there on Saturdays (and it's closed for 2 weeks because of the break). But when I get the chance, I'll look up Bushwick and Ozone Park. I don't think Ozone Park was too high, though as far as PRs go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Staten Island has a large middle-class Puerto Rican population scattered all over. It is listed at 12.1%, some of that includes a small percentage of Mexicans.
No, the Hispanic population is listed as 12.1%, not the Puerto Rican population, and that figure is outdated (it's from the 2000 census). As of the 2010 census, Staten Island is 17.3% Hispanic. I forgot what the Puerto Rican population is, but it's not 12.1%.

I know my neighborhood is 8.6%, and I would consider it a typical SI neighborhood (more Asians, fewer Blacks, but the Hispanic population is the same as the rest of SI), so it's probably around there.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'm talking about the very eastern end of Cypress Avenue, all the way by Cooper Avenue. On this map, it's tract 565 (Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com). My instinct is to say Glendale based on the location, but the Hispanic population is 77%, which suggests to me that it's Ridgewood.

And yes, I have the exact percentage, but the thing is that the only way you can get it for free (without getting a 30-day trial, which I don't want to do) is to go to a university, and I only go there on Saturdays (and it's closed for 2 weeks because of the break). But when I get the chance, I'll look up Bushwick and Ozone Park. I don't think Ozone Park was too high, though as far as PRs go.

No, the Hispanic population is listed as 12.1%, not the Puerto Rican population, and that figure is outdated (it's from the 2000 census). As of the 2010 census, Staten Island is 17.3% Hispanic. I forgot what the Puerto Rican population is, but it's not 12.1%.

I know my neighborhood is 8.6%, and I would consider it a typical SI neighborhood (more Asians, fewer Blacks, but the Hispanic population is the same as the rest of SI), so it's probably around there.
Yea I was gonna tell her the same thing... The Puerto Rican population seemed way too high... In terms of census tract 565 it's weird that they combine Ridgewood and Glendale in the same census tract... But that's exactly what it is...

Cooper avenue is the cutoff between Ridgewood and Glendale and yet Census tract 565 has Cody ave., Decatur, summerfield, and norman from seneca to wyckoff which is in Ridgewood... And yea that 30.1% is definitely accurate and I think that if Glendale was included separately on that side the Puerto Rican population would be higher... Decatur, Summerfield and Norman still have a very strong puerto rican population but the Dominican pop. is even higher over there in Ridgewood and you can see it by all the stores and delis on cypress avenue... they have Anthony boutique(dominican) Moca Tailor (Dom. Puertorican). Lugo lounge (Dom.) Rigobertos (Dom.) Barbara y Domingo deli (Dom.) Class "A" Dominican Style unisex (Dom.) Compi tire shop (Puerto Rico) Presale auto cars (Puerto Rican Dom.) Cypress Supermercado (Dom)and those are all on two blocks...

Once you pass Cooper avenue though... It seems like almost everyone over there is puerto rican... that part of glendale is very hispanic from St. Felix, Cooper and 60th St all the way to a little bit past Cabot Rd. right before you get into Cypress Hills and ending on Wyckoff... that area is probably somewhere about 60-65% hispanic at least and mostly puerto Rican i'd say a good 40-50% of that overall part of Glendale is PuertoRican and another 15-20% being Dominican... and then everything else...

Also in terms of Bushwick I know you were able to see bits and pieces of different sections so I was just wondering from those percentages, if you were to take a rough estimate, what would you say would be the Puerto Rican pop. in that neighborhood? Just wondering... If not, its okay i'm just curious...

Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Yea I was gonna tell her the same thing... The Puerto Rican population seemed way too high... In terms of census tract 565 it's weird that they combine Ridgewood and Glendale in the same census tract... But that's exactly what it is...

Cooper avenue is the cutoff between Ridgewood and Glendale and yet Census tract 565 has Cody ave., Decatur, summerfield, and norman from seneca to wyckoff which is in Ridgewood... And yea that 30.1% is definitely accurate and I think that if Glendale was included separately on that side the Puerto Rican population would be higher... Decatur, Summerfield and Norman still have a very strong puerto rican population but the Dominican pop. is even higher over there in Ridgewood and you can see it by all the stores and delis on cypress avenue... they have Anthony boutique(dominican) Moca Tailor (Dom. Puertorican). Lugo lounge (Dom.) Rigobertos (Dom.) Barbara y Domingo deli (Dom.) Class "A" Dominican Style unisex (Dom.) Compi tire shop (Puerto Rico) Presale auto cars (Puerto Rican Dom.) and those are all on two blocks...

Once you pass Cooper avenue though... It seems like almost everyone over there is puerto rican... that part of glendale is very hispanic from St. Felix, Cooper and 60th St all the way to a little bit past Cabot Rd. right before you get into Cypress Hills and ending on Wyckoff... that area is probably somewhere about 60-65% hispanic at least and mostly puerto Rican i'd say a good 40-50% of that overall part of Glendale is PuertoRican and another 15-20% being Dominican... and then everything else...

Also in terms of Bushwick I know you were able to see bits and pieces of different sections so I was just wondering from those percentages, if you were to take a rough estimate, what would you say would be the Puerto Rican pop. in that neighborhood? Just wondering... If not, its okay i'm just curious...
I think 30.1% was actually the highest PR population in the area, in either Glendale or Ridgewood. But like I said, it's only the ones who self-identify as Puerto Rican, so it doesn't include people who identify as two nationalities.

I'm kind of tired, but SuperMario's map might be able to help you out with the percentages. You take the number of PR in the census tract, and then you go to the NY Times map and see the total population, and divide the two. Of course, this is if you're mathematically inclined.

As far as Bushwick goes, I think the PR population was something like 25%, and there were a lot of Dominicans as well. According to SupreMario's map, Dominicans actually outnumber PR in the northeastern section of Bushwick, so depending on the specific section, you could be talking a 15-30% PR population and a 15-30% DR population (but there are still more areas where PR are more numerous). And like I said, there's a large Mexican population west of around Myrtle Avenue in the Knickerbocker Avenue area (those tracts run from Irving Avenue to Wilson Avenue), so in some areas, they're outnumbered by Mexicans.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Anyone know the stats for the Upper West/East Sides? Also a 10 year comparison (2000 v 2010)? I know a lot of Puerto Rican descented Americans that live in those areas, although some identify themselves as White.

I would love to see an income breakdown as well. Areas like Castle Hill get a bad rep although many of the properties owned in that neighborhood are owned by Puerto Ricans. I want to go as far as saying they are squarely middle class economically, while due to the poverty in the area not so much socially.

Country Club, Throgs Neck, Riverdale, Pelham Bay PRs are middle class economically and socially.

I am defining middle class economically as financially stable. Mix of white collar educated professionals, blue collar, and city job holders.
I wont say Riverdale but they are some PRs up there but most Middle Class PRs are up in Morris Park and Yes parts of Pelham Bay like Country Club section and middleton aswell as Throgs Neck and many of them work in Grey Collar jobs like police officer or Sanitation alongside their ITalian neighbors in those areas. Take the 6 train to the last stops and you see a huge amount of Puerto Ricans getting off between Pelham bay park and Parkchester

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What about University Heights? I know its very Dominican, but you still see Puerto Ricans here.
I agree with this, Puerto Ricans are very noticiable in this area even though University Heights is majority Dominican. What I have noticed is that some Ricans in the area are home owners while the majority of Dominicans live in the tenements of university heights and pay rent. I noticed this a couple of years back, however I could be wrong now!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

Let's not forget that many Puerto Ricans born here have married White Gringos......

Old 04-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
completely OT but all i know is my Nuyorican and PR friends were and still are some of the warmest and most caring people i have ever known. When i was too broke to do anything other than pay rent they and only they (not even my family) were the ones who made sure i had food in the kitchen and a jacket on my back.
i will never forget the love that i felt and continue to feel to this day from the PR community and it saddens me tremendously that you guys are leaving in droves.
YO I feel the same way too. I grew up in a mostly Puerto Rican enviornment, everything from first fist fights, to first dances to even first kisses was all with Puerto Ricans. I too have mad love for Puerto Ricans. People told me I have a Puerto Rican swag well Nuyorican to be exact but over the years I tried to shed it off. Not onyl that but most people assume and even assume to this day that Im Rican because of the swag but also the physique, I have a very Puerto Rican look, thats when I have to tell people Im Guyanese and makes them even more shocked. Its sad that PR hoods in NYC are no more, dont get me wrong there still will be some Ricans in places like, Mott Haven, Les, Bushwick, East Harlem etc but many have left to other states like I was saying before while others moved to Middle Class areas like Anon was talking about, both are true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City