Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
Considering the restrictive gun laws and denial of Individual Liberty in NYC, Mass., etc., maybe the South won the Civil War after all.
You know, maybe your right, my suggestion is you should probably stay right where you are and never ever move north, it would be a benefit for everyone.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse615 View Post
That's a lot of hot air masquerading as a profound statement. And actually points to the same arrogant elitism that people like you foist so often on us East Coasters. What makes you, as someone from Texas (I take it) - a region not a part of the republic at it's establishment, so certain YOU and yours have anything more in common with the Founding Fathers? In fact, at least we have common geography; you have NOTHING. You act as if there's some magical time machine available only to Middle Americans, to go back to the eighteenth century and actually speak with these men. But that's nonsense. You have no more insight into their inner thoughts or intentions than anyone. The facts on the ground are that they were very much bookish intellectuals - some went to Ivy League schools (Adams, Madison). Hey, some of them even spoke French (Jefferson and Franklin, for instance) – which, I'm sure, curdles your fried-food filled stomach. What, you think the concepts outlined in the Declaration and Constitution just sprang up out of nowhere? I guess it makes sense, since you were probably taught that humans just sprang up out of nothing. No, these guys knew their Locke, Hume, Kant and Voltaire. Nothing in common but geography (one of the subjects I'm all but sure you're fairly weak on, btw)? Aside from wearing powdered wigs, I'd say we still have a hell of a lot in common with them. To make a further point - they, like the East Coasters today: had a close connection with Europe and may have traveled there extensively; often spoke more than one language; read copiously; often sat indoors for long periods, discussing philosophy and ideas; didn't care much for, or know anything about NASCAR. I'd love to continue this battle of wits Gunluvver2 ("luvver" - I guess that passes for clever in "Two-and-a-half-Men" country), but I won't attack an unarmed man.

Twoand a Half Men country is California I believe, I live in Nebraska. As for the Luvver part of my Gunluvver2 handle originally it was Gunlover but when i changed my ISP I couldn't reuse it.

Most of my ancestors came across on the Mayflower (Standish) and the other side of the family settled in the Carolinas before the revolutionary war. However like the ancestors that had the good sense to leave Europe a few centuries ago the later ancestors had the good sense to go West during the 1800's.

I am sure most of the Founding Fathers read Voltaire and Franklin, Adams and Jefferson may have met him while they visited in Europe. They all were familir with the writings of Locke. However in 1776 I doubt if any of them knew of Kant.

It is too bad you have such contempt for NASCAR. It is a great sport. I suppose I should apologize for my I.Q of 76 comment. I may have been off a point or two. However I was probably close because anyone with a brain has to appreciate NASCAR.

GL2

Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
"However like the ancestors that had the good sense to leave Europe a few centuries ago"
They were encouraged to leave on account of being extremists.

NASCAR is driving in a loop. Now, Formula 1 Grand Prix - thats something.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM

109 posts, read 343,714 times
carry a gun?? i bought a tiny cell to be comfortable ans not overcrowd my pockets. where would i carry a gun?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM

142 posts, read 259,684 times
I went to the Monte Carlo Rally in France, it was fun. We sat overlooking a curve and got drunk while the cars screeched by a few feet away, no barriers or cops present. I can't imagine pulling something like that off in the US, way too many liability issues.

Don't be fooled by silly stereotypes- France has plenty of gun-toting, racecar-watching rednecks.

Last edited by Hieronymus Bosch; 01-13-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"However like the ancestors that had the good sense to leave Europe a few centuries ago"
They were encouraged to leave on account of being extremists.

NASCAR is driving in a loop. Now, Formula 1 Grand Prix - thats something.
I agree somewhat bg7. I prefer the road courses and the Formula One cars are technological wonders. As a Hobby machinist I am amazed at the engineering that goes in to both the NASCAR and Formula One cars. What I would like to see is an experimental class of vehicles that would not be restricted to specific types of Fuels and Internal Combustion engines. Back in 1967(?) Andy Granatelli and Mario Andretti gave us a taste of what a Turbine powered car could do. It is too bad that the Indy Car association outlawed the turbine. With modern metallurgy and computerized fuel systems plus ground effects it would be amazing. The race track is where we need innovation. It just makes no sense to me to limit creativity on the track. Let the engineers do the research and development needed for Fuel Cell powered car or battery powered cars on the race track. They can do it much quicker and better than the Car Makers.

Oh yeh. Extremism runs in my family tree.

GL2

Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
It is too bad you have such contempt for NASCAR. It is a great sport.
GL2
NASCAR isn't a sport

Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
NASCAR isn't a sport

Have to agree, it doesn't take any sort of athleticism to drive in the same direction. Then again, there's a lot of things that should not be called sports either, like George Carlin once said. (He noted swimming is a way to keep from drowning, and tennis is just ping pong while standing on the table and thus should not be considered sports).

Oh and to the guy who thought all women in NYC have big hair and are wanna be mob wives, needs to stop watching reality TV. 99% of us are not like that at all. And most of the ones like that live in either Staten Island or New Jersey.

Getting back, and amused this thread is still going.....

While yes NYC makes it near impossible for your average Joe to obtain a handgun, it can be done. It's just a pain to do so. I don't know the specific laws in each state, but I do believe it should be universal that you need to pass a psych exam in order to get one. However, this might not work either, as in many cases of parents owning guns, and then the unstable kid who is being picked on in school takes it and shoots his classmates.

While yes, I have a right, I just have no desire to own one. At least not right now anyway.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
NASCAR isn't a sport
It is rather difficult to define a "sport" but if physical ability is one measure of a sport I think NASCAR would qualify. Is baseball a sport? Is Golf a sport? I would say the average NASCAR driver is just as good an athlete as the average professional in those two "sports".

GL2

Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM

19,045 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I happen to like NASCAR, but there is no way I'll ever agree with it being called a sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City