Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM

458 posts, read 616,369 times

Advertisements

I may offer a unique perspective here as I can qualify as both a New Yorker and a Southerner.

As a New Yorker, I'd like to apologize for the immature and uninformed ranting against guns in this thread. IMO New Yorkers tend to know less about the rest of the world than the red-necks they like to make fun of for the same reason.

As a Southerner, I'd like to apologize for the immature and uninformed chest-beating about guns in this thread. IMO Southerners tend to get very defensive about their culture very quickly and they can go too far in their defense.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM

17 posts, read 28,729 times
Default Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
I don't understand why you people in New York have laid down like sheep and won't fight for your rights.

Your state has some of the most anti-American, unConstitutional gun control laws imaginable, and you're content to live with them.

You people ever heard of the 2nd Amendment? Why do you elect legislators who impose these kind of laws?

Here's a link to a story that ought to make every New Yorker ashamed.

Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller

If you people in "The Empire State" had enough courage to fight for your God-given rights, this kind of nonsense wouldn't happen.

What's wrong with you people in New York?

You're a bunch of sheep...

mistergus75
Houston, TX
Really? What's wrong with US? You cow-f*kers live in a state that actually elected that mouth-breather Rick Perry to two terms as governor (as well as foisted the WORST president in the history of this republic on us) and you think you have a right to rant on and on about a state that's not even you're own? I take it you are GOP? Being from Texas, I know you're what we in NYC would call "a little slow", so I'll enumerate. Ever heard of "States Rights"? You should - your goofball presidential candidates go on and on about it enough. Well, New York is a different state than Texas. Get the picture? If folks in New York want gun control, then that's THEIR business, not yours. You don't pay taxes in New York, so it is none of your frackin' business what people there do. Want to get mad about something? How about the fact that, even though your state cranks out more morons per capita than just about any other, that STILL isn't good enough and you have to ensure your drooling, fat, half-wit offspring have even lower IQs than they already do.

Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
You still don't get it. I don't think you want to get it.

Gun safety...People not securing their guns...nutjobs...these are all secondary issues. Besides, it's the law-abiding, the good citizens you're actually denying gun ownership to, not the whack-jobs, and you know it.

The right of a person to defend himself is absolute, and shouldn't be denied until every possible situation is resolved to your liberal satisfaction. And since they can never be resolved to your satisfaction, this is just a dishonest means to deny people their right to self-defense.

A person has a right to defend themself (with a gun if necessary), and you have no right to interfere with that.

Thank you

unfortunately however, those who strongly believe that certain people shouldnt have firearms in their possession will NEVER UNDERSTAND. They argue from the point of emotion not logic and reasoning.

Even if they were the victims of crimes themselves I highly doubt that they would change their minds.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-10-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Thank you

unfortunately however, those who strongly believe that certain people shouldnt have firearms in their possession will NEVER UNDERSTAND. They argue from the point of emotion not logic and reasoning.

Even if they were the victims of crimes themselves I highly doubt that they would change their minds.
So you are saying everyone should be allowed to have a gun? Oh I think I understand, I just disagree, but you can pretend we don't understand all you like.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
That demonstrates well that rednecks that embrace gun laws are plain stupid, they are the type of people that could barely place any city out of their home state on a map smh
Whats NYC? never heard of it i hear they have tall buildings and traffic

Last edited by Autoracer9; 01-10-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 03:32 PM

17 posts, read 28,729 times
Quote:
Do they?

I think there's another factor at work here.

New York City has largely turned into a welfare state. Every serious observer knows it.

When people become conditioned to looking to government to take care of them, they lose any spark of independence they might have had. They then will more easily accept loss of freedom in exchange for welfare checks.
This is more nonsense from the misinformed. What year are you living in? Welfare state? We're talking about NYC in 2012 - not 1978, right. First, hardly a welfare state - actually, third HIGHEST GDP; meaning New York probably pays more money to the federal government than it receives (List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Also, you clowns have watched "The Warriors" or "Escape from New York" one too many times, methinks. NYC is not a garbage pile on the brink of anarchy. In fact, most of you couldn't afford to live here. And I'm not talking Upper East Side or even Manhattan. Hell, even Bushwick is pretty expensive nowadays. As well, as far as large cities go, crime in NYC is actually pretty low. A lot of times, when reading the news here, the big "awful news" stories are, more often than not, imported from Ohio, Florida, or just some random, in-bred hillbilly 'berg. You have to remember, if NYC alone were a state, it would be the size of Virginia or New Jersey (8.5 million). So yeah, stuff happens, but, given the gigantic size of the city and greater metro area (roughly 20 million), I feel a hell of a lot safer here than, say, Memphis.

I mean, this was JUST in the news before Christmas - in Ohio, a right-to-carry state. Yeah, looks like the ol' Second Amendment did all of these folks (I thought I'd heard there may be many victims, not just three) a lot of good.

Ohio Craigslist Murders: Second Body Identified

Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Read my comment again...

"When you grow up, and you're able to consider some bigger, meatier issues like...oh, say...the United States Constitution and Individual Freedom..."

Did you get it that time? The issue is not guns...it's the Constitution and Individual Liberty.

But I suppose a conversation about the Constitution will have to wait until you're able to read it.
Right - the only part of the constitution you've likely read is part of the 2nd Amendment, and then nothing before the first comma....

You're spending so much time on here someone is probably out stealing yer guns! Better get youself some hand grenades instead. Or toy soldiers and tanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are saying everyone should be allowed to have a gun? Oh I think I understand, I just disagree, but you can pretend we don't understand all you like.

? Who said anything about everyone owning a gun. I think I made that perfectly clear to you in a previous response and I am not going to repeat myself again.

You dont seem to understand that with the passage of any gun control law. Whether it be getting a license, registration, criminal backround check (which every legal gun owner goes through proir to obtaining a firearm)a limit on the number of clips or the amount of guns you have ect. ect. I could go on and on

IT DOES NOT PROTECT THE AVERAGE PERSON FROM A CRIMINAL OR INSANE PERSON WITH A GUN WHO COULD CARELESS ABOUT FOLLOWING ANY OF THE GUN CONTROL LAWS .

All NYC's gun control laws does is make it that much harder for me to obtain one after the long and horendous application and finger printing, interview process etc etc. while there are criminals who dont follow any of those laws and they have an army of guns.

In the end I become subjected to the criminals who already have them.

Questioning how someone obtained their gun is a ridiculous question what does it matter how they got their gun. Thats like saying why is there racism in 2012.

CRIMINALS ARE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE THE GUNS (Just like there will always be racism). GUN CONTROL LAWS TAKES AWAY MY INHERENT RIGHT TO PREOTECT AND DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST THOSE CRIMINALS WHO HAVE NO PROBLEMS OBTAINING THEM AND DO NOT EVER PLAN ON GOING TO ONE POLICE PLAZA TO FILL OUT ANY APPLICATION TO BEGIN ANY PROCESS .

Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
god created man but it was sam colt who made them all equal...

to be honest discussing matters about guns is an exercise in futility. no one is going to see anyones point ever.

those who qualify and want one do it and dont try to convince the anti's. you do what you feel is right and forget about those who have a different view.

there are far better things to discuss and talk about than trying to convince those that dont see the point of owning one.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
? Who said anything about everyone owning a gun. I think I made that perfectly clear to you in a previous response and I am not going to repeat myself again.

You dont seem to understand that with the passage of any gun control law. Whether it be getting a license, registration, criminal backround check (which every legal gun owner goes through proir to obtaining a firearm)a limit on the number of clips or the amount of guns you have ect. ect. I could go on and on

IT DOES NOT PROTECT THE AVERAGE PERSON FROM A CRIMINAL OR INSANE PERSON WITH A GUN WHO COULD CARELESS ABOUT FOLLOWING ANY OF THE GUN CONTROL LAWS .

All NYC's gun control laws does is make it that much harder for me to obtain one after the long and horendous application and finger printing, interview process etc etc. while there are criminals who dont follow any of those laws and they have an army of guns.

In the end I become subjected to the criminals who already have them.

Questioning how someone obtained their gun is a ridiculous question what does it matter how they got their gun. Thats like saying why is there racism in 2012.

CRIMINALS ARE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE THE GUNS (Just like there will always be racism). GUN CONTROL LAWS TAKES AWAY MY INHERENT RIGHT TO PREOTECT AND DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST THOSE CRIMINALS WHO HAVE NO PROBLEMS OBTAINING THEM AND DO NOT EVER PLAN ON GOING TO ONE POLICE PLAZA TO FILL OUT ANY APPLICATION TO BEGIN ANY PROCESS .
Well I can only assume you mean everyone when I keep reading your posts that sound like I am trying to take away everyone's gun rights cause I believe in gun safety...so yes, you keep assuming blanket statements about liberals and I am gonna keep assuming blanket statements about you, only seems fair.

By your logic, we should get rid of all laws completely because it only effects those that obey them because those that are gonna break the law are going to break the law anyway....not sure I am seeing your logic on this, I know you think it all makes sense, but it really doesn't

There is always going to be people speeding, so does that mean we should get rid of speed limits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City