Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
"

Your own words convict you urbanlife. You are OK with your elitists friends owning guns but you just don't want the folks living in poorer (usually Black) neighborhoods to own firearms. Maybe "open carry" is the best solution. I actually prefer it over Concealed Carry.

GL2
Well in the case of NYC where the city has had to deal with some of the worst case neighborhood decay, maybe that was the right move for the city to make, I cannot make a complete assessment without looking at historical content of what was going on at the time things were passed and the effects they have had.

If there has been a reduction of gun violence during that period, then yes, I would say NYC has made the correct moves, but I don't have those numbers to make that kind of statement.

By the way, I am not rich....so "my elitist friends" doesnt really matter to me because they are not my friends.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
You still don't get it. I don't think you want to get it.

Gun safety...People not securing their guns...nutjobs...these are all secondary issues. Besides, it's the law-abiding, the good citizens you're actually denying gun ownership to, not the whack-jobs, and you know it.

The right of a person to defend himself is absolute, and shouldn't be denied until every possible situation is resolved to your liberal satisfaction. And since they can never be resolved to your satisfaction, this is just a dishonest means to deny people their right to self-defense.

A person has a right to defend themself (with a gun if necessary), and you have no right to interfere with that.
No, you don't get it because you keep making this a Republican vs Democrat thing....I am talking gun safety and gun safety only. Do you want someone who doesn't know how to handle a gun owning a gun?? Simple question, and don't give me any political crap to go with it.

If you have taken gun safety training and have proven that you have knowledge and understand the importance and dangers guns possess, then by all means by as many guns as you like....period. No catches, nothing, as long as you have something that says you understand gun safety and have a clean background.

And don't give me any of this crap that just because a nutjob does something, that doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer too...you know damn well that isn't how this works, ask President Bush about that one when he was jamming through airport security measures after 9/11.

Laws are often times created to protect the masses from the few. Not everybody is a murderer, but you don't want a convicted felon being able to buy a gun....which is what is called a "law."

I want "gun safety!" That is all!!! Nothing more than that, nothing, nada, zero. If you are fit to own a gun then you are welcome to own one, simple as that regardless of party.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM

125 posts, read 238,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I want "gun safety!" That is all!!! Nothing more than that, nothing, nada, zero. If you are fit to own a gun then you are welcome to own one, simple as that regardless of party.
"Fit to own a gun"??? Funny how you support only a precious few ever getting that distinction.

But if gun safety is so important to you, I encourage you to limit yourself to water pistols and super soakers.

When you grow up, and you're able to consider some bigger, meatier issues like...oh, say...the United States Constitution and Individual Freedom, then perhaps you can have a seat at the table.

Until then, you can sit over there with the children.

For crying out loud...

Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Here we go again!

Another example of the fine, sensible gun laws in the People's Republic of New York, and their wholesome effects.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/dolt_in_apple_G1fFwoA9RvdMzYFynoXijJ

Good job, New York City!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
"When you grow up, and you're able to consider some bigger, meatier issues like...oh, say...the United States Constitution and Individual Freedom, then perhaps you can have a seat at the table.

Until then, you can sit over there with the children."

Funny how you associate an adolescent boy obssession with guns with being "grown up".

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
"Fit to own a gun"??? Funny how you support only a precious few ever getting that distinction.

But if gun safety is so important to you, I encourage you to limit yourself to water pistols and super soakers.

When you grow up, and you're able to consider some bigger, meatier issues like...oh, say...the United States Constitution and Individual Freedom, then perhaps you can have a seat at the table.

Until then, you can sit over there with the children.

For crying out loud...
I see, clearly you are for anyone having a gun regardless of their understanding of how to use that gun as long as they are a red blooded American....then you wonder why people like me are happy to limit people like you when it comes to gun control because as of right now, I am not sure you are fit to own a gun or have a conversation about guns....so maybe you need to sit down with the children because clearly you are not ready to have this conversation.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"When you grow up, and you're able to consider some bigger, meatier issues like...oh, say...the United States Constitution and Individual Freedom, then perhaps you can have a seat at the table.

Until then, you can sit over there with the children."

Funny how you associate an adolescent boy obssession with guns with being "grown up".
Read my comment again...

"When you grow up, and you're able to consider some bigger, meatier issues like...oh, say...the United States Constitution and Individual Freedom..."

Did you get it that time? The issue is not guns...it's the Constitution and Individual Liberty.

But I suppose a conversation about the Constitution will have to wait until you're able to read it.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Read my comment again...

"When you grow up, and you're able to consider some bigger, meatier issues like...oh, say...the United States Constitution and Individual Freedom..."

Did you get it that time? The issue is not guns...it's the Constitution and Individual Liberty.

But I suppose a conversation about the Constitution will have to wait until you're able to read it.
The Constitution is a foundation, not a ceiling, so stop acting like it is....unless you don't want to have a serious conversation about gun laws...which if that is the case, by all means keep waving that flag.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The Constitution is a foundation, not a ceiling, so stop acting like it is....unless you don't want to have a serious conversation about gun laws...which if that is the case, by all means keep waving that flag.
You're wrong.

The Constitution was designed to limit the scope of government.

It is not a foundation. It is a ceiling.

'yawn' You're not inspiring me, urbanlife78.

I think I'll save my next response for somebody thoughtful.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
You're wrong.

The Constitution was designed to limit the scope of government.

It is not a foundation. It is a ceiling.

'yawn' You're not inspiring me, urbanlife78.

I think I'll save my next response for somebody thoughtful.
Well there is your problem, you obviously know nothing about the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. So good luck with your chest thumping, I am sure the like minded people you complain to will continue to agree with you because it is clear to me that you are not interested in any form of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City