U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
10,145 posts, read 18,042,585 times
Reputation: 3642
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
What would you all say about working in a red zone? Work would only be in daylight hours. For instance, the south Bronx.
It's always safer in the day than in the nighttime. I think there are actually very few areas of the city where it is extremely dangerous to actually walk around during the day, and those are mostly confined to NYCHA developments. But then again, I speak from my comfort level (which is extremely tolerable for high crime areas because I grew up in one), as there are very few places in the city I haven't been, day time or night time.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
27,022 posts, read 13,435,154 times
Reputation: 8581
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, I've walked around myself in some red areas, but I don't have much experience with the rest of the city, so I don't know if they're truly red areas. What would you say is a good way to phrase what you should do in a red area? Use caution and check over your back occasionally? But that's something you should do in an orange area as well. (I mean, I do that in any area, but that's just me)
I'm an out of towner, so I'm not all that aware of crime hazards, so perhaps I make a bad assumption of safety. But my normal assumption is most areas of New York City are safe in the daytime and perhaps early evening except for a few odd ones one is unlikely to come across (Brownsville maybe, or some obscure spot in the South Bronx) and walking through some housing projects. I dunno there are people on NYC streets and they appear non-threatening.

I'd take a red area as in don't go there unless you have a reason, and if you do, ask a local. I've never felt uncomfortable in any area of NYC in the daytime, this was the one red area I've spent time in. Once I remember two people screaming at each other. Tried to give them as wide of a berth as possible.

I did a long walk several times to the J train in the daytime because the closer G is inconvenient, area looked sketchy but I wasn't too bothered. The locals I visited told me it was fine to do that walk in the daytime but definitely not at night.

I've always wanted to drive through a "hood" blasting classical music.

Last edited by nei; 04-11-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,318 posts, read 3,516,019 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm an out of towner, so I'm not all that aware of crime hazards, so perhaps I make a bad assumption of safety. But my normal assumption is most areas of New York City are safe in the daytime and perhaps early evening except for a few odd ones one is unlikely to come across (Brownsville maybe, or some obscure spot in the South Bronx) and walking through some housing projects. I dunno there are people on NYC streets and they appear non-threatening.

I'd take a red area as in don't go there unless you have a reason, and if you do, ask a local. I've never felt uncomfortable in any area of NYC in the daytime, this was one. Once I remember two people screaming at each other. Tried to give them as wide of a berth as possible.

I did a long walk several times to the J train in the daytime because the closer G is inconvenient, area looked sketchy but I wasn't too bothered. The locals I visited told me it was fine to do that walk in the daytime but definitely not at night.

I've always wanted to drive through a "hood" blasting classical music.
What people do to avoid that (G) train! You know it's bad when an out-of-towner knows to avoid it.

In any case, that sounds like pretty good advice. So what would you have the colors say then?

Red: Avoid unless you have a reason, and take extra precautions if you must go there at night (maybe carry a razor or something?)

Orange: Should be alright if you have experience living in urban areas and know how to carry yourself and not look like a target. You may want to avoid after dark.

Yellow: Take minimal precautions. If you're new to the city, you should try to make sure you don't stand out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
 
6 posts, read 12,257 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks so much for the map, it's great. I'm moving to Crooke Avenue Brooklyn, by Prospect Park in a couple of weeks. Do you thinks it's relatively safe?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 514,803 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2018 View Post
i never visited mariners harbor or port richmond all that often..but i know they are more notorious areas where incidents are more present. i believe they even have police towers in port richmond. They had a police tower in my area aswell but this was a couple years ago..they took it down a while ago. so thats why im thinking my area could be orange ..but again..i never venture out late at night in my area past 12 a.m..so i dont really know what goes down.

Yeah, they move that tower in and out of Port Richmond every so often. We actually had two of them within 3 blocks of each other on Port Richmond Ave (At Richmond Terrace and at Harrison Ave) two Summers ago. Overkill. Smh.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,318 posts, read 3,516,019 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulito123 View Post
Thanks so much for the map, it's great. I'm moving to Crooke Avenue Brooklyn, by Prospect Park in a couple of weeks. Do you thinks it's relatively safe?
SeventhFloor has a lot of experience with that area (that's why he was able to go so detailed in that area), so I'd ask him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Yeah, they move that tower in and out of Port Richmond every so often. We actually had two of them within 3 blocks of each other on Port Richmond Ave (At Richmond Terrace and at Harrison Ave) two Summers ago. Overkill. Smh.
Hey man, how's it been? I haven't seen you in a while.

Since that's your neck o' the woods, how do you think I did SI?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills, NY
7 posts, read 9,316 times
Reputation: 17
I'll remove these shadings:
-Flushing [Perhaps just narrowly extend a line from the Projects by the LIRR tracks toward Northern Blvd. btwn Prince and College Point. then across Northern but instead of the Eastern Border being Prince, now it becomes Union Street.] The Downtown area is not too bad still.
-Queens Center Mall Block.

Manhattan:
-8th Ave. from 38th to 48th Sts. [Area getting better and less homeless people and ghetto people there, I'd frankly be more concerned about the "Squares" on Broadway].
-Christopher St. Corridor [I don't see any concerns on that corridor, because I've walked with a group and alone and don't feel threatened, and the area is quite "clubby" and "night-lifey".

Brooklyn:
-Williamsburg [I'd be more conservative and draw the Western edge at Roebling St.
-Grand Army Plaza [I'd draw the Western Edge at Flatbush -> Sterling -> Underhill -> Bergen -> Flatbush.]
-Church Ave. [Completely Orange, No Yellow].

Bronx and Staten Island are acceptable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,318 posts, read 3,516,019 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanaManhasset View Post
I'll remove these shadings:
-Flushing [Perhaps just narrowly extend a line from the Projects by the LIRR tracks toward Northern Blvd. btwn Prince and College Point. then across Northern but instead of the Eastern Border being Prince, now it becomes Union Street.] The Downtown area is not too bad still.
I don't think I gave you authorization (I'm not saying it to be snarky or anything, but you won't be able to edit it without me letting you). Just send me your email address and I'll add you as a collaborator.

For Downtown Flushing, it's kind of crowded and grimy, but I guess like Chinatown that doesn't automatically make it unsafe.

In any case, all your suggestions sound reasonable, so you can go right ahead and put them in once I authorize you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,318 posts, read 3,516,019 times
Reputation: 1235
By the way, does the southern part of Corona merit its orange shading? Because I've been to LeFrak City during the day, and I didn't see anything wrong. It might get bad at night, but even then at least some parts of the area should probably be downgraded (or upgraded. Whichever way you want to look at it) to yellow. And maybe more of Elmhurst could just be reverted to clear. I've walked up from the Woodhaven Blvd station plenty of times without issue, but again, that was during the day.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
10,145 posts, read 18,042,585 times
Reputation: 3642
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
By the way, does the southern part of Corona merit its orange shading? Because I've been to LeFrak City during the day, and I didn't see anything wrong. It might get bad at night, but even then at least some parts of the area should probably be downgraded (or upgraded. Whichever way you want to look at it) to yellow. And maybe more of Elmhurst could just be reverted to clear. I've walked up from the Woodhaven Blvd station plenty of times without issue, but again, that was during the day.

Thoughts?
Change 57th Avenue strip to orange. The rest of LeFrak can be left as yellow. 57th Avenue is the "hood" part of LeFrak if thats what you want to call it
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top