Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,048,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That kind of work wont teach them much in the way of getting well paid employment. It's a shame. The blacks I went to school with in Queens, those who came from families with fathers and who lived in houses, did not become failures. Two brothers from my neighborhood made the Armed Services their career and their sister went to college somewhere in CN. My black friend Pat from the old SIA (I think it's now called the School of Art and Design) in Manhattan went on to college and the last I heard she was doing great as some kind of graphic artist. Getting pregnant, drugged up and looking for a handout was not in their life plans.
Hmmmmm, interesting.

Your post is very telling. Very.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I agree! Mexicans are hard working, humble people. They don't resort to that ghetto behavior we are accustom to seeing from NYers in inner city aka "Da Hood".
Many Californians would DISAGREE with you. Very Strongly.

They're not looked upon as "humble" in LA by any means. Tsk, tsk.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Not receiving cash? How are they paying their rent and their utilities? How are they buying any clothes at all? Where are they living?
You tell me. If they're not getting a clothing allowance or cash, then where are the clothes coming from?

Or do you even care?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. And yes, I do know about the ghetto people and their attitudes and how they live. I saw more than enough of that lifestyle on my way to work and back each day in NYC. I agree Welfare and other handouts just encourages their lifestyle to continue. I believe Welfare caused this mentality to start with. Too much time on their hands among other things. And the men... they have no feeling of responsibility towards their own children. They sire their young like animals and walk off to let society support them. Like a tomcat, breed and take off. I remember one young man on a show like 20/20 (one of those expose shows) bragging how he fathered his fist child at 16. He had no idea how many children he had nor did he care. He never held a job. Where are their morals? Their sense of responsibility? Their love and concern for their own children? It's galling and these women never learn they're being used. They just don't "get it." These worthless men live off them like parasites until another hoochie momma comes along that strikes their fancy. The woman then takes up with another total loser, has another child..... repeat, repeat, repeat. Where does it end? Why doesn't the states force the men (can they even find these human weeds?) to support these children even if they have to do menial jobs for the city like sweep the streets or paint the city hospitals. Keep the parks clean and paint over graffiti.

Eventually the poor and lower middle class will be forced to move out of NYC to places like Camden and Newark NJ were rents are cheaper. There really is no place left in NYC for the low-income and welfare people other than the ghettos.

You do know that many HISPANIC and other nationalities of women and MEN are on welfare as well, right?

Your post reads like the only people getting it or have ever received it are BLACK.

This is what I was referring to me in my "sarcastic" post that you called "bitter and racist". The government ALWAYS uses the BLACK WOMAN as the face of welfare, when in fact, it's been PROVEN that there are more whites and others on it than african americans.

YOU are the RACIST and so is Hilltopjay. When you speak of "ghetto" hoochie mamas you forget about the hispanic women who dominate the rolls in those neighborhoods as well.

Racist attitudes like yours is one of the reasons why I did not want to come back to NYC. I hate close-mindedness. I'd rather have my racists out in the open than "hiding". I need for Hilltopjay to show his disdain of me as soon as he sees me by telling me he has NO VACANCIES in his building and then slamming the door shut in my face.

I'd prefer that than making me fill out paperwork for an apartment that will go immediately in the garbage as soon as I leave.

Thank goodness I'm relatively cute, educated and speak proper english or I'd be F'd in this town.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,147,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You do know that many HISPANIC and other nationalities of women and MEN are on welfare as well, right?

Your post reads like the only people getting it or have ever received it are BLACK.

This is what I was referring to me in my "sarcastic" post that you called "bitter and racist". The government ALWAYS uses the BLACK WOMAN as the face of welfare, when in fact, it's been PROVEN that there are more whites and others on it than african americans.

YOU are the RACIST and so is Hilltopjay. When you speak of "ghetto" hoochie mamas you forget about the hispanic women who dominate the rolls in those neighborhoods as well.

Racist attitudes like yours is one of the reasons why I did not want to come back to NYC. I hate close-mindedness. I'd rather have my racists out in the open than "hiding". I need for Hilltopjay to show his disdain of me as soon as he sees me by telling me he has NO VACANCIES in his building and then slamming the door shut in my face.

I'd prefer that than making me fill out paperwork for an apartment that will go immediately in the garbage as soon as I leave.

Thank goodness I'm relatively cute, educated and speak proper english or I'd be F'd in this town.
12% roughly are black or african american in this country. So yes, it's possible more white people are on welfare, but if you take into account how many white people there are in the US as opposed to how many black people there are, you will see the percentage of black people on it compared is far higher. It's engrained into the culture of low income black families. There are plenty that escape that life, but there are many that stick around for a long time.

How about we just use welfare programs on a contract basis? 2 year contract of which you will learn how be professional, show up to work on time. How to shop for deals and how to be informed on searching for apartments. If they want "handouts", they have to volunteer at least 20 hours the first year, and 30 the next. They also have to attend workshops aimed at teaching them raw skills that they can apply to jobs. If you teach a man to fish....

Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
12% roughly are black or african american in this country. So yes, it's possible more white people are on welfare, but if you take into account how many white people there are in the US as opposed to how many black people there are, you will see the percentage of black people on it compared is far higher. It's engrained into the culture of low income black families. There are plenty that escape that life, but there are many that stick around for a long time.
The west coast of the country will tell you differently. There are more hispanic women on it than anyone else. Also, the red states are very, very poor. Many of those white chicks are on federal aid and since there aren't too many blacks in the area. They dominate.

Quote:
How about we just use welfare programs on a contract basis? 2 year contract of which you will learn how be professional, show up to work on time. How to shop for deals and how to be informed on searching for apartments. If they want "handouts", they have to volunteer at least 20 hours the first year, and 30 the next. They also have to attend workshops aimed at teaching them raw skills that they can apply to jobs. If you teach a man to fish....
I agree with this, but they've tried that already and it does NOT work for EVERYONE.

AGAIN, I've asked this several times in this thread - What do you do with the people who will NEVER become productive citizens in ANY capacity EVER?

There have and will always be a PERMANENT UNDERCLASS of ALL RACES in this country. This surpasses race.

No one seems to have an answer.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times
Skilldeadly..I think everyone can agree that those on welfare or other government support should also do community service, go to school, whatever as part of receiving benefits. Yes there are exceptions, like people who are physically disabled (and not the "I get nervous sometimes" disabled, the ones who have no legs or arms type), or the REAL crazy people.

That being said, since the founding of our society, it has only functioned with a permanent underclass. We had slavery, the permanent underclass, but now that it's over we need the poor/destitute at the bottom or else the entire house of cards collapses. The new slaves are those working minimum/low wage jobs, no vacation/sick time, no health insurance, no savings, no retirement funds, no future...and becoming dependent on government to live...and why is that? BECAUSE OF CORPORATIONS SHIFTING THE BURDEN TO TAXPAYERS/GOVERNMENT.

How does this scam work? I will pay you minimum/low wage, and the reason I can get away with doing that is because you now qualify for food stamps (government vouchers for food), Section 8 (government vouchers for housing), medicaid (government healthcare), free lunch/breakfast for your kids at school (paid by government), and on and on. The corporations now have passed the entire burden of the employee onto the government, while they reap huge profits. It is the only way they get away with paying people nothing/offering no benefits.

And then the wealthy have the nerve to complain about the poor "welfare cases" dependent on government, when its corporations exploiting government in the first place! WTF!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,567,412 times
Quote:
That doesn't excuse them from living off the taxpayers when they should be at work every day.

FOODSTAMP BENEFICIARIES WORK FOR A LIVING. How many times must I say this. Food stamps is aimed at giving them something so that the minimum wage isnt increased.

And now of course w ehqve 55 y/o who have not been able to find a job for 3 years and whose unemployment benefits are now ended.

What do you propose? If they try to get a McD job they are told "overqualified". Some of them are teachers, paralegals and other semi professionals and hilltopjay screams when they dont pay his rent.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Then why do they qualify for the money others worked for? We have a lot of Mexicans where I live now. I don't know or care if they're legal either. They come and take any jobs they can find. ..

Many Mexicans arer headed home unable to find work and fewer of them now come. In any case if you see how many are forced to live you wouldnt recommend that they offer a solution. Many living on one matress in overcrowded apartments and exploited by landlords and employers....like life in the Lower East Side around 1901!!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I .I'd rather see my hard earned tax dollars go to hard working Mexicans ..

Believe you many Mexicans who find a way to get a green card end up getting food stamps.

With the meager wages you pay them and the kids that they have thats the only way they can eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City