Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM

241 posts, read 372,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I was talking about lower Manhattan - where the OP is - not Brooklyn. Show me poor people in lower Manhattan who defied evacuation orders (big deal rich people did - but they are now all in luxury hotels in upper Manhattan or their second or third or fourth houses elsewhere). Robyn

Is there a CBS1 - and - if so - what's the difference between CBS1 and CBS2. Robyn
What???

Channel 1 - NY1 or NEW YORK 1

Channel 2 - CBS2 or Columbia Broadcasting System on channel 2.

I know they did, I saw them on the news. I used to live on the LES by one. (That's the LOWER EAST SIDE in Manhattan).

You are telling us to have sympathy for these people, while saying you are viewing this storm as a form of entertainment as a"storm junkie"....yeah.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM

241 posts, read 372,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I think you "reckon" wrong, Robyn. Every single person who didn't obey the mandatory evacuation has said "I was wrong", "I shoulda listened".

The hospital was another animal. They had backup sources but they guessed wrong. NO hospital wants to evacuate their patients to another hospital.
Bingo.

Stop speculating from the sidelines Robyn, it does you no favors.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The projects I am talking about are in zone A. From what I have witnessed, not many people left. I live in zone C, I did not evacuate. Most people in the surrounding neighborhoods, LES, Tribeca, Soho are gone. Even in Chinatown, many of the Chinese have fled. Most of the people that remain downtown are project people.
If you don't mind my asking - what if anything did you observe in terms of getting these people to evacuate? Was transportation/shelter in place - etc.? Robyn

Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
I will agree with you if they don't bring out hundreds/thousands for the Marathon on Sunday - and leave the people running to their own devices. Would you be willing to place a wager that that won't happen?
You are talking three days from now. The power will be back on by then.

Quote:
FWIW - although I agree with you strongly about heeding evacuation orders (I always evacuate when ordered to do so - or - even when not ordered - when I think it's prudent) - here's the evacuation map of NYC before Sandy:

New York City Evacuation Zones - weather.com

Some tiny little slivers of land in coastal areas along the Manhattan coast line.
Not as tiny as you would think and more than a few NYCHA projects are in those areas.

Quote:
I reckon most caught in this mess didn't disregard evacuation orders. They just wound up with a bad deal of the cards. All the power in lower Manhattan getting blown up (along with more flooding than expected). Like the people in New Orleans who thought they had escaped Katrina - but wound up under water when the levees were breached. And the people in Miami 10-15 miles inland who were demolished in Andrew when they were hit by unexpected 125+ MPH winds. Our storm warnings and our evacuation zones aren't perfect (mine are easier than most because I've lived in zone 1 evacuation places since I moved to Florida 40+ years ago).

I mean - heck - if the big wigs at NYU Medical Center got caught with their pants down - well how can you expect more from a bunch of poor people in lower Manhattan who weren't ordered to evacuate?
NYU didn't get caught with their pants down. The had pre-emptively moved or discharged all but their most critical cases. They had a PLAN to deal with emergency evacuations, unlike people who just expect the government to be at their doorstep the morning after the storm taking care of them.

Quote:
Anyway - when our warnings and our evacuation order systems fail (and they will fail from time to time) - the issue is "what then". I know that the response post-Andrew was awful. So was post-Katrina. And this post-Sandy doesn't look much better to me. When I see stuff like this - it makes me sick:

Staten Island Councilman James Oddo: 'Idiotic' to divert cops to New York Marathon right after Hurricane Sandy - NY Daily News

Robyn
I don't believe the response has been awful at all, rather I think people have refused to use a bit of common sense to be responsible for themselves.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I was talking about lower Manhattan - where the OP is - not Brooklyn. Show me poor people in lower Manhattan who defied evacuation orders (big deal rich people did - but they are now all in luxury hotels in upper Manhattan or their second or third or fourth houses elsewhere). Really rich people can always afford to ignore all warnings - and then buy their way out of trouble:

Profiles: Everything In Sight : The New Yorker

Is there a CBS1 - and - if so - what's the difference between CBS1 and CBS2? Robyn
Baruch & Addition, Lavenburg, Vladeck I & II, Two bridges, LaGuardia, Alfred Smith were all in the mandatory evacuation zone.

CBS2 is the CBS local in New York City. It's channel 2, so known as CBS2.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking - what if anything did you observe in terms of getting these people to evacuate? Was transportation/shelter in place - etc.? Robyn
Yes, it was all in place. MTA buses were lined up in front of the various buildings waiting to take people to shelters at no cost. Police cars were driving around telling people to evacuate through their loudspeakers. Cops were going door to door. It was on the NATIONAL news. I saw it.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
What???

Channel 1 - NY1 or NEW YORK 1

Channel 2 - CBS2 or Columbia Broadcasting System on channel 2.

I know they did, I saw them on the news. I used to live on the LES by one. (That's the LOWER EAST SIDE in Manhattan).

You are telling us to have sympathy for these people, while saying you are viewing this storm as a form of entertainment as a"storm junkie"....yeah.
I follow storms to learn from them. To respond to any I might encounter in the future. Have lived through more than most people (although I only got creamed by one - Andrew).

And yes - you should have sympathy for people - especially those with fewer resources than you have - when they wind up in situations that you or I could buy our way out of.

Note that you don't have to decode things like LES for me. I was born in NYC and grew up on Long Island.

And you know - heck - I thought all of you guys up north were big compassionate liberals. Where's the compassion? Robyn

Old 11-01-2012, 05:41 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm next to the park slope armory ymca where they brought in a lot of people and helping coord and volunteer there. apparently the response was pretty fast, though some people were very hesitant to leave and just wanted to wait it out--who are pretty glad they didn't now. Up a bit north, Brooklyn Tech High School is temporarily being used as a homeless shelter, I think, and there was a long string of the small handicap buses moving people in and a lot of volunteers. I have to say, this was a pretty good official and societal response to what could have easily been a much, much worse catastrophe. I kind of wish they could pull the tourists to volunteer instead of just watching with their cameras and stupid gaping maws. Well, that's just unrealistic.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Why does it seem like you want the official response to have been bad? Well, can you at least make a financial gift via American Red Cross | Disaster Relief, CPR Certification, Donate Blood, 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation while you grill people who actually live here and are trying to help?

Old 11-01-2012, 05:48 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
Quote:
I follow storms to learn from them. To respond to any I might encounter in the future. Have lived through more than most people (although I only got creamed by one - Andrew).

And yes - you should have sympathy for people - especially those with fewer resources than you have - when they wind up in situations that you or I could buy our way out of.

Note that you don't have to decode things like LES for me. I was born in NYC and grew up on Long Island.

And you know - heck - I thought all of you guys up north were big compassionate liberals. Where's the compassion? Robyn
Nah, we don't need to feel ANY sympathy for jerks that don't do as they are told for their own safety!

"Buying" your way out has nothing to do with it. As another poster reported, people who could afford to "buy" their way out into a hotel didn't do it.

I have no conception of what they are going through except for seeing the aftermath of the Blizzard of '78 across the street on the beach side BUT I also have no sympathy for them either. They got what they thought wouldn't happen, so stop blubbering about it.

Why are you making such a big deal out of idiots who didn't? You don't live there anymore. Just curious.

Wonderful post, OyC. I did that yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City