Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 01:22 PM

21 posts, read 65,685 times

Advertisements

I wonder if some sanitation workers will be switching over to work for nypd since the money is better now?
They wont lose any of their years since its one of the city agencys... Maybe this will open up some spots for a new class

Old 08-24-2008, 01:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migster View Post
I heard that the earlier that you submitted your application, for exam 6063, the lower of a list number you have. Is this true??

You heard wrong. It is not true. It actually goes by the last 5 digits of your social not the last 4.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:32 PM

193 posts, read 393,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migster View Post
I heard that the earlier that you submitted your application, for exam 6063, the lower of a list number you have. Is this true??

No, the list is based on your score + any additional points (i.e. vet, resident, etc) the total is then based on your last 5 of your SSN so if you and another person had 97.7 and his last 5 is lower then yours, he has a lower list # then you do.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:35 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYTYSON23 View Post
I wonder if some sanitation workers will be switching over to work for nypd since the money is better now?
They wont lose any of their years since its one of the city agencys... Maybe this will open up some spots for a new class
They won't lose their years as far as retirement goes but they will be going to the starting salary of nypd if they switch. I highly doubt that people will leave sanitation to go to nypd...its unheard of. I know lots of people who were former cops that have switched to sanitation and some guys who are sanitation going over to fdny but thats all. There is no job like sanitation. NYPD and DSNY are two completely different jobs. Yea we pick up trash, but at least the trash we pick up don't talk back and won't file a complaint against us or shoot at us. The great thing about this job is that you don't take it home with you (unless you find something good lol.) You do your job and then you go home.

I have heard word that negotiation for a new contract has already started between the union and the city since there is a clause in our contract that if other uniformed city agencies get a significant raise that we can open up the bargaining tables.

But keep your hopes up anyways, just don't expect people to leave sanitation for nypd because of the raise they got. We will get a similar raise soon.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM

335 posts, read 747,724 times
You know whats funny. Some people that aren't even on the job yet are complaining about the Salary.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 PM

I heard that the more questions you answer correctly on the exam, the lower your list number is. Is that true?

:P

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM

163 posts, read 328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
You know whats funny. Some people that aren't even on the job yet are complaining about the Salary.
Yes that's truely funny. Ladies and gents let me state that with four years on the job I have averaged about 12k over the base salary and that was as a Gu, not even making the truck. When you hear that this is the best job in the city it truly is. Mind you this is my third (and last) city job. Hang in there those with list number under say 7000, soon you will see the ball rolling and before you know it your at top pay. Those that just got on, hang in ther its togh with that proby monkey on your shoulder and bouncing is a mofo.But it gets better and all otj sanmanwill tell you that.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM

39 posts, read 121,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI5446 View Post
Anybody have any info on the Town of Hempstead Sanitation or LI village sanitation depts. Pay Scale,hiring process etc.
All info would be greatly appreciated.

I am starting a job with the Town of Hempstead sanitation this coming week, while I'm appealing my case with the city about the seizure disorder that i don't have. I'll let you know all the details when I get there and find them out. I got the job through a political connection, but I still would rather have the job with the City, for the 20 years and out mainly. I'll keep you updated.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman1221 View Post
Yes that's truely funny. Ladies and gents let me state that with four years on the job I have averaged about 12k over the base salary and that was as a Gu, not even making the truck. When you hear that this is the best job in the city it truly is. Mind you this is my third (and last) city job. Hang in there those with list number under say 7000, soon you will see the ball rolling and before you know it your at top pay. Those that just got on, hang in ther its togh with that proby monkey on your shoulder and bouncing is a mofo.But it gets better and all otj sanmanwill tell you that.
lol. Exactly. I mean like if you dont like the pay then dont take the job or go sign up for the NYPD, they are always hiring. But before you start complaining about it at least get on the job. Beside most people take a pay cut when they get this job but eventually it pays off.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:54 PM

163 posts, read 328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
lol. Exactly. I mean like if you dont like the pay then dont take the job or go sign up for the NYPD, they are always hiring. But before you start complaining about it at least get on the job. Beside most people take a pay cut when they get this job but eventually it pays off.
Thats right most of us took big pay cuts, but for all the right reasons, job security 20 year pension health benifits out the yazoo and stability. The pay does get a lot better.

As far as the NYPD raise, we will not be far behind when the time comes. Also keep in mind base pay does not factor in night diff and your last two hours on saturday are time and a half (aka O/T). You will make sundays and if your chart falls on a holiday you make comp hours. As well as if you have the op to go out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City