Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

i still say dont get the cops involved you'll look like you cant fight your own battles....maybe you should get a dog. or walk with some pepper spray and spray em up if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i still say dont get the cops involved you'll look like you cant fight your own battles....maybe you should get a dog. or walk with some pepper spray and spray em up if anything.
your ideas are recipes for disaster

Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
It is not about "holding things down"..its not about participating in the ghetto mentality or immaturity. It is about going above that and not getting your hands dirty, and letting the proper channels handle it. Yes if accosted you should defend yourself, but "holding it down" whatever that means, is pointless. Call the police and they will nip it in the bud..they are LOOKING for reasons to lock these kids up and get them off the streets. You may in fact be doing them and the community a favor..they will in all likelihood get scared straight. It typically takes soemthing dramatic and REAL consequences before people wake up,...especially kids.

Don't "keep it real" or "hold it down" or give them whatever response they are expecting....call the police....and let them handle it. These kids will cut the crap..and if they don't..they will be in prison...problem solved...the community will thank you...I am sure this is not the first time this has happened...but you CAN be the person to make it the last time.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:31 AM

Seventh..at this point they already realize he is a "punk" for lack of a better word...so calling the police now is just fine. If he would have defended himself moreso from the beginning I suspect this would all be over, and I also suspect that he has been enduring harassmant/teasing all his life, as his run attitude is probably not new. Until he addresses the underlying issues....he will likely find the same problems wherever he goes....ignorance/immaturity knows no race/income.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
I wanted to add that this sort of stuff happens in corporate America too, minus the hitting and bottle throwing.

I have seen co workers get played out by superiors because they showed no spine or back bone. Saw one guy get candy wrappers and rubber bands shot at him by my old boss. My boss never played me like that but, he knew my co worker had no back bone and no heart. Its the same crap, just different expression of it. Like Guy said, you really can't allow people to run up on your like that. Other wise you will have to pay for it for the rest of your time in that situation.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Co-Signed Wild style! =)

Old 01-22-2008, 11:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
It is not about "holding things down"..its not about participating in the ghetto mentality or immaturity. It is about going above that and not getting your hands dirty, and letting the proper channels handle it. Yes if accosted you should defend yourself, but "holding it down" whatever that means, is pointless. Call the police and they will nip it in the bud..they are LOOKING for reasons to lock these kids up and get them off the streets. You may in fact be doing them and the community a favor..they will in all likelihood get scared straight. It typically takes soemthing dramatic and REAL consequences before people wake up,...especially kids.

Don't "keep it real" or "hold it down" or give them whatever response they are expecting....call the police....and let them handle it. These kids will cut the crap..and if they don't..they will be in prison...problem solved...the community will thank you...I am sure this is not the first time this has happened...but you CAN be the person to make it the last time.
really....its ghetto mentality to stand up for yourself? my point is the OP should have asserted himself and he wouldnt have his problem to begin with.

case in point: my senior year of high school this kid tried to steal my chain after school. I chased his ass up the block, and the next week he was trying to be my friend. He had my respect and never tried me again after that.

Those kids'll be out in a year especially since they're juvies and prolly will be more knuckleheads to take their spot on the stoop in the meantime. i guess keep 911 on speed dial and call it a day.

and who used the term "holding it down"? not me.

how many of you actually live in the hood? a lot of you seem out of touch with reality and the way things go down. you dont have to hang around "the homies" for **** to happen. people will try you and you have to be prepared for it if it happens. maybe there's 5 of em and you do have to take an ass-whipping but if you stand up for yourself they'll know you not to be taken lightly, and at least u can walk wherever you want holding your head without fear. if u cant deal with it move to a better neighborhood then. thats the way the hood is sometimes. if you havent been through it then god bless you, you're lucky. but im from the hood and i had to go thru that **** sometimes but guess what im a better man for it and i can walk around my way no problem and i dont have to feel scared wherever i go around my way either. i can live in peace.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,601 times
1. how old are these kids? if they are 16+ then you might have a problem. I think the 15-17 year old perps are the worst because they have a lot to prove. THey are all about earning "street cred". if they are 16+ and appear to be in a gang - you might have to call the cops but, the cops don't live with you 24/7. They will most likely come back - if they are arrested, their "boys" might carry on with the project.

These kids are not going to see the light and stop. They are bragging about how the "dish it" to some "punk" daily and earning "street cred" off the OP. I say - get a taser and walk the ave. When these kids come give them a little taste and then call the cops. It's all self defense and you shouldn't have any problems. pepper spray will just infuriate them and make them come back harder since it's regarded as "girlie weapon".

get a taser and give them an involuntary breakdance lesson. You have to stand up to these punks because they won't back down --- taser them

Old 01-22-2008, 01:30 PM

There is a difference between "holding it down" or "keeping it real" and defending yourself. He should not be playing by the rules of the ghetto, he should play by the rules of society. Once you play by their rules...you get screwed. I would have the cops on speed dial and they will be MORE than happy to handle these kids...they look forward to locking them up. Of course you should defend yourself, but ALSO call the police and let them handle it.

The more people stand up and STOP PLAYING BY THE RULES OF THE GHETTO, the more the game and subculture will dissipate. You can't play the game without willing participants..and I for one am not one of them. I don't think he should be chasing anyone down, or have to deal with a beat down...it will be handled LONG before it comes to that...from the moment the first harassment begins. If youa re unable to nip it in the bud and defend yourself without resorting to violence, then call in the recruits.

I am not playing the ghetto BS..I will let them play it..I don't have the time or desire. You get one shot....anything more and the cops are on you, and more than likely, they will uncover all kids of other problems (warrants, drugs, family members with warrants, etc). Stop playing the game.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM

BX718..I am all for the taser too....nobody will take the word of these street punks over this guy. But call the cops also..don't follow the ghetto BS of handling it yourself...b/c the you play their game...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City