Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 PM

430 posts, read 835,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
wrong...bed-stuy is one of the oldest black neighborhoods in the city. read up on it.

Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL, I know quite a bit about Bed-Stuy history. That Wikipedia article isn't very thorough... maybe I'll re-work it when I have time.

YOU are wrong. Look it up at an actual source, not something anyone can edit... Bed-Stuy was majority white from 1850 to 1950. It has been majority-black only since 1950. Do some actual research before you try to "correct" my history of the area. Bed-Stuy is what we are talking about, not the tiny enclave of Weeksville.

Do the math, that's 100 years as a white neighborhood and less than 60 years as a black neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Here is an easily accessible starting point.

"The irony of Bed-Stuy is that it was gentrified from the start."
"As late as 1950, the neighborhood was 50 percent white."

New York magazine, 2005.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Jersey City is very diverse, but it has the same dynamic as a lot of areas of Northern Brooklyn. The white population only remains high because there is a constant inflow of hipster/yuppies who replace the old ethnic whites that continue to leave JC. Most of the new residents of JC are concentrated near the waterfront.
I don't think the old ethnic whites are leaving JC in the same numbers that they were 10 years ago. Lived in JC briefly a year or two ago, and met a really nice Russian-speaking couple who had moved out of JC and then recently moved back.

Haven't seen many hipsters in Jersey City compared to Brooklyn, but it definitely has a comparable inflow of yuppies to Brooklyn. This may change for both areas with the subprime layoffs of 2008 and 2009 on Wall Street. The lowbies on the i-banking totem poles will be hit hard... disproportionately the guys willing to commute from Brooklyn or Jersey.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Here is an easily accessible starting point.

"The irony of Bed-Stuy is that it was gentrified from the start."
"As late as 1950, the neighborhood was 50 percent white."

New York magazine, 2005.
thats the best that you can come, with a magazine? like they wont support the "gentrification" and give these yuppies a right to live there like they have some sort of real connection to the neighborhood. in all reality, white or black, these people are moving in and driving up the rents for people who have lived there for years.

weeksville is part of bed stuy according to the encyclopedia of new york. if you knew bed-stuy's history, you would know that the southern boundary was eastern pkwy until 1977.

if you read the encyclopedia of new york, the first free black purchased property in bed stuy (weeksville) in 1835, his name was Henry C. Thompson. so from about the mid 1800's black people began to own property in bed-stuy. harlem was just farmland taken over by irish squatters at this time, look it up. also in the encyclopedia of new york.
By 1940, more than 65,000 black residents lived in bed-stuy.

did you know that the neighborhood actually started in 1633 when the dutch west india company purchased bed stuy from the canarsee indians?

black people have lived there as slaves with their dutch families from the 17th century.

so i like that you type in CAPS to boost your confidence, but nice try. u wanna hit the books i can hit the books too.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,349 times
Quote:
I don't think the old ethnic whites are leaving JC in the same numbers that they were 10 years ago. Lived in JC briefly a year or two ago, and met a really nice Russian-speaking couple who had moved out of JC and then recently moved back.
I think Mead meant Irish/Italians, in general. Ethnic Whites such as Albanians, Russians, and Arabs in big cities tend to be immigrants or their children and not third-generation ethnic folks. The third-generation Russians/Albanians/Arabs are harder to spot and don't neccessarily have enclaves in large cities. They've assimilated into American culture 100% and have spread out more.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 15,389 times
I agree with Baylovers response. Send a thank you card to the great pal who pointed you towards Bed-Stuy. I'm a native NYer and can pull off the whole ghetto attitude if I had to but you couldn't pay me to drive my car through there nevermind walk. That being said, I would recommend Inwood over Elmhurst. But do a little more research next time. Good luck and g-d bless.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
thats the best that you can come, with a magazine? like they wont support the "gentrification" and give these yuppies a right to live there like they have some sort of real connection to the neighborhood. in all reality, white or black, these people are moving in and driving up the rents for people who have lived there for years.

weeksville is part of bed stuy according to the encyclopedia of new york. if you knew bed-stuy's history, you would know that the southern boundary was eastern pkwy until 1977.

if you read the encyclopedia of new york, the first free black purchased property in bed stuy (weeksville) in 1835, his name was Henry C. Thompson. so from about the mid 1800's black people began to own property in bed-stuy. harlem was just farmland taken over by irish squatters at this time, look it up. also in the encyclopedia of new york.
By 1940, more than 65,000 black residents lived in bed-stuy.

did you know that the neighborhood actually started in 1633 when the dutch west india company purchased bed stuy from the canarsee indians?

black people have lived there as slaves with their dutch families from the 17th century.

so i like that you type in CAPS to boost your confidence, but nice try. u wanna hit the books i can hit the books too.
You say you can hit the books? Go for it. Answer this question: When did blacks become a majority? The correct answer is not until the 1950s, after Bed-Stuy was majority-white for 100 years or more.

I'm not arguing that re-gentrification is pushing out people who have lived there for years... only that it was historically a white, wealthy neighborhood.

Again, Bed-Stuy has been majority-black only since 1950. My father was born in Bed-Stuy and was (gasp!) white. My grandmother was born and raised in Bed-Stuy and was also white. Do you have any actual family connection to the neighborhood? Didn't think so.

Can you cite any sources that say Bed-Stuy was majority black before the 1950s? Didn't think so.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:02 AM

To the OP, when you report this to the police, emphasize that they called you "white ass". Due to hate crime legislation, they will go away for a minimum of 8 years if they assault you because of your race. And it doesn't seem that you did anything else to draw their ire other than "walking while white".

Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
You say you can hit the books? Go for it. Answer this question: When did blacks become a majority? The correct answer is not until the 1950s, after Bed-Stuy was majority-white for 100 years or more.

I'm not arguing that re-gentrification is pushing out people who have lived there for years... only that it was historically a white, wealthy neighborhood.

Again, Bed-Stuy has been majority-black only since 1950. My father was born in Bed-Stuy and was (gasp!) white. My grandmother was born and raised in Bed-Stuy and was also white. Do you have any actual family connection to the neighborhood? Didn't think so.

Can you cite any sources that say Bed-Stuy was majority black before the 1950s? Didn't think so.
first of all the point was that bed-stuy is the oldest black neighborhood in new york city, which it is. what does your family connection to the neighborhood have anything to do with that? and wealthy people only started living there in the 1920's.....f.w. woolworth lived in the neighborhood. what does your father and your grandmother have to do with it? i've already cited that at least 65,000 black people lived in bed-stuy in 1940. bed stuy's population now is only 135,000. straight from a book. where's your source?

once again, you're comparing my sources from a published historian encyclopedia to a magazine, your father, and your grandmother.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Yeah I was just about to point that out. I think the poster is flying his hipster flag if he considers Russians to be the old ethnic whites .

In some parts of NJ I would consider Arabs to be old ethnic whites. Especially around South Paterson and the surrounding suburban towns. You have large numbers of Lebanese/Syrians in that area who have been in this country for 100 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I think Mead meant Irish/Italians, in general. Ethnic Whites such as Albanians, Russians, and Arabs in big cities tend to be immigrants or their children and not third-generation ethnic folks. The third-generation Russians/Albanians/Arabs are harder to spot and don't neccessarily have enclaves in large cities. They've assimilated into American culture 100% and have spread out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City