Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowG View Post
Smh @ people encouraging you to move to Elmhurst. Maybe a few years ago but now? Mara Salvatrucha hard body.
Really??? What part of Elmhurst? It seems to be nice and peaceful near Elmhurst Hospital - 74th/Bway train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
minding your own business only works if you dont look like an easy target. .
True to a degree but remember the OP is a white guy in Bed Stuy and for some reason I doubt that he resembles or has the skill set of say CHuck Liddell

Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 16,482 times
I suggest you hit the gym, 140lbs for 6'-1" is scrawny. Carry some mace, protect yourself. Don't let these little ghetto punks drive you out.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 16,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedst View Post
iheartponeez im from bed stuy. its not as bad as he makes it sound. most likely he is white and most of said something stupid to thoose kids. Anyways there are two ways to go about it #1. go up to them and ask them what is there problem with you and how can we reslove it. 9 out of 10 times you will get a straight answer and even if they say something you didnt do say im sorry. or you can do #2 go to the cops ( not something i would because im spanish and the cops in bed stuy are racist.)
****, that's such a ignorant assumption that the OP said something to get under those kids skin..... You think minding your own business will make you invisible to everyone that you don't want to be seen by? I might as well assume you are one of those ghetto punk kids harassing this guy. I hope he does call the cops so they give these jr. thugs a wood shampoo.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,865 times
they are a bunch of teenagers..dont let them run you out

Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowG View Post
Smh @ people encouraging you to move to Elmhurst. Maybe a few years ago but now? Mara Salvatrucha hard body.
Elmhurst is a quite safe area with excellent transportation to Manhattan, mostly full of working people who don't cause trouble.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 PM

132 posts, read 390,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartponeez View Post
So, I'm a 22 year old who moved to NY in September. Specifically, I moved to Bed-Stuy, on Lewis at Putnam. Things went fine for a few months, and then a few teenagers down the block decided to start harassing me. First bottles and stuff thrown my way, then a shove. A week ago two of them started taking swings, but I sort of brushed them aside, uninterested in a fight. Then 5 days after that at around 5:30 PM, on my way back from work, the same two kids blocked my way, and suddenly them and 4 of their friends started punching me in the head. I covered up and kept walking and finally a girl came at them swinging her umbrella and chased them off. But these kids live a block away, I have to walk by their stoop every day, and I'm constantly paranoid that they'll attack me again. I can't imagine reporting it would do anything, and worry that fighting back will make it worse, and so I'm trying to leave the neighborhood, rather than constantly be terrified of everyone who walks behind me.

So, I've been hunting for a safer spot in the range of $700 per month. I know that seems low, but I found one place in Elmhurst and one in Inwood/Morningside Heights. I imagine I might be able to find spots in The Bronx for that price. My question is: Is Inwood going to be safer? Is there anywhere you would recommend? Should I just stick it out? Having been attacked twice by the same kids seems like a message that I'm going to be targeted from now on, and I'm the sort of guy you can spot 3 blocks away (I'm 6'1" and weight 135-140 pounds). I don't know what to do. So, in summation: 700 per month, trying to stay safe, and I'd like to stay less than an hour away from downtown Manhattan if possible.

Advice?

PS: I can also delve into paying 1400 for 2br, or 2100 for 3br, you know, finding roommates.
u sir need to fight back.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,395 times
This story made me lol. I'm 95% sure your white.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
Even though the circumstances are bad, this is a reason why u dont just decide to move to NYC no matter how u do it. B4 he moved there, he probably asked some people is the neighborhood ok and they told him "yeah, just mind ur business and you'll be fine". Well obviously that strategy is not 100% foolproof. I hate to hear people saying they moved to a ratty neighborhood b/c thats all they could afford. NYC streets aint for everyone from out of town.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Even though the circumstances are bad, this is a reason why u dont just decide to move to NYC no matter how u do it. B4 he moved there, he probably asked some people is the neighborhood ok and they told him "yeah, just mind ur business and you'll be fine". Well obviously that strategy is not 100% foolproof. I hate to hear people saying they moved to a ratty neighborhood b/c thats all they could afford. NYC streets aint for everyone from out of town.
Yup, I'm a Native NYer and every place I've moved, I visited in the summer months and at night to determine if I felt safe. Several neighborhoods dropped off my list that didn't feel right no matter how inexpensive they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City