Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In some parts of NJ I would consider Arabs to be old ethnic whites. Especially around South Paterson and the surrounding suburban towns. You have large numbers of Lebanese/Syrians in that area who have been in this country for 100 years.
I head to South Paterson quite often, and I must say that the old Lebanese Christians have been replaced significantly by Palestinian Muslims. They're still pretty big in suburban towns, though. I know a number of old ethnic Arabs living in Westchester County, but they're all either married to Irish and Italians or really, really old. They were the Arabs who lived in Bay Ridge and left after being replaced by Muslims and newer Arab immigrants decades ago.

Another state where Arabs can be considered old ethnic whites is Michigan. While the Arab population in Detroit suburbs are made up of Lebanese Muslim/Iraqi/Yemeni immigrants and first generation Americans, you'll find third-generation+ Lebanese living throughout the state. They descend from relatives who worked in the automobile industry in the 20s and 30s and are almost completely Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM

430 posts, read 835,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
first of all the point was that bed-stuy is the oldest black neighborhood in new york city, which it is. what does your family connection to the neighborhood have anything to do with that? and wealthy people only started living there in the 1920's.....f.w. woolworth lived in the neighborhood. what does your father and your grandmother have to do with it? i've already cited that at least 65,000 black people lived in bed-stuy in 1940. bed stuy's population now is only 135,000. straight from a book. where's your source?

once again, you're comparing my sources from a published historian encyclopedia to a magazine, your father, and your grandmother.
You're arguing a different thing then. Yeah, there was a small black neighborhood called Weeksville within Bed-Stuy, which was white. So what? My point was that all those historic brownstones in Bed-Stuy were built by and originally lived in by white people. So to call it a "black neighborhood" historically is extremely misleading.

I'm not surprised you couldn't name a source that said Bed-Stuy ever had a black majority in its original history. But you don't seem to be arguing the fact either... just that there were some black people off in a small pocket.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 PM

430 posts, read 835,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah I was just about to point that out. I think the poster is flying his hipster flag if he considers Russians to be the old ethnic whites .

In some parts of NJ I would consider Arabs to be old ethnic whites. Especially around South Paterson and the surrounding suburban towns. You have large numbers of Lebanese/Syrians in that area who have been in this country for 100 years.
To be honest, most of my friends are Park Slope type yuppies or investment bankers who think they're being edgy for living on Avenue A. But I'm not cool enough or young enough to be a hipster.

Those Russians and Polish in Jersey City have been there a very long time... so I'd definitely call them "old ethnic whites"... I wouldn't call any group the old ethnic whites. Anything that isn't WASP is ethnic white to me, but then I'm influenced by faux-edgy yuppies.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
off topic but Ralph Nader is arab of leb decent

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,259 times
A LOT of famous actors, businessmen, politicans, musicans are of Lebanese descent. However, the vast, vast, vast majority of them are Christians and descendents from 19th/early 20th century immigrants. Here's a profile:

Lebanese American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Category:Lebanese Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
You're arguing a different thing then. Yeah, there was a small black neighborhood called Weeksville within Bed-Stuy, which was white. So what? My point was that all those historic brownstones in Bed-Stuy were built by and originally lived in by white people. So to call it a "black neighborhood" historically is extremely misleading.

I'm not surprised you couldn't name a source that said Bed-Stuy ever had a black majority in its original history. But you don't seem to be arguing the fact either... just that there were some black people off in a small pocket.
no neighborhood in nyc will ever have a black majority in its original history. my focus was never to establish that. my original point and main point is that its the oldest black neighborhood in nyc. no contesting that.

and when you say historic brownstones, do you just mean the current LPC district, or are you talking about the entire neighborhood? because the stuy is a large area.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
LOL, I know quite a bit about Bed-Stuy history. That Wikipedia article isn't very thorough... maybe I'll re-work it when I have time.

YOU are wrong. Look it up at an actual source, not something anyone can edit... Bed-Stuy was majority white from 1850 to 1950. It has been majority-black only since 1950. Do some actual research before you try to "correct" my history of the area. Bed-Stuy is what we are talking about, not the tiny enclave of Weeksville.

Do the math, that's 100 years as a white neighborhood and less than 60 years as a black neighborhood.
Well Well Well...seems this talk has turned to almost a racist debate. The truth is that the Neighborhood was mostly white up until mid 1940's. it then was mixed, the turn happened in full effect during the late 50's..whatever the case maybe the neighborhood is full of history and i do believe all backgrounds, race and creed should be credited ..thanks

Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clientel View Post
Well Well Well...seems this talk has turned to almost a racist debate. The truth is that the Neighborhood was mostly white up until mid 1940's. it then was mixed, the turn happened in full effect during the late 50's..whatever the case maybe the neighborhood is full of history and i do believe all backgrounds, race and creed should be credited ..thanks
you're about 4 months late seeing that the last post was made in february....but thanks anyway.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
It's always trouble when you start calling a neighborhood "historically" this or that. Bushwick, for instance, was founded by the Dutch. After the Revolutionary War, some Hessian mercenaries decided not to go back to Europe, settled there, and gave it a German flavor that lasted more than a hundred years. Then it became a heavily Italian district. Then it was black and Hispanic. So now there are whites moving (back) into Bushwick. It seems to me that nobody has a particular claim on the area!

I was born in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. For much of the 20th century (the early 1920s through the middle 1960s), Brownsville was one of the most heavily Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It certainly isn't that way today! The bottom line is, neighborhoods change.

You say you're being "chased" out of Bed-Stuy? So then you'll move to some other area, and be part of the change there!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
I understand your point...so I guess historically NYC was a 100% Native American community..as nobody has been here longer! Nonetheless....I agree that no group "owns" anything....times change..and neighborhoods change. I don't think blacks, or any other group "deserve" or are in anyway entitled to live anywhere for any reason, just as the whites were not entiteled to live there when the blacks moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City