Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 AM

113 posts, read 383,546 times

Advertisements

to the poster: MOVE BACK TO KANSAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
Quote:
If the cops are as bias free as they are supposed to be, there should be no difference between responding to crime in bedstuy and responding in middle village.
Do you know anyone who is bias free??

Quote:
However, lack of cooperation in the "hood" etc renders police work useless since they need leads and "information" and witnesses to solve crime - something they won't necc get in the hood -
More true than you know.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
BX718..and Seventh..if you are trying to convince me in some way that calling the cops is the wrong thing to do or inappropriate for whatever reason, then we will have to agree to disagree. The lack of cooperation from the community, which makes the Police sometimes ineffective, is PRECISELY because people are following the dysfunctional rules of the hood...which only makes matter worse.

So yes I WILL call the cops, and I have, and they have ALWYAS shown up in under 4 minutes and ready to lay the smack down. Furthermore, my inclination IS to solve the problem with these kinds of kids on my own...however when the poster is describing bottles being thrown, that is way beyond anythng I can control, or want to get involved in, so I will let the police handle that. Yes they will get whatever restraining order and at worse some sort of juvenile sentencing or whatever, but why should that deter me from protecting myself AND the community? I should only call if it warrants life in prison with no chance of ever getting out? Of course not, and you do take the risk of retaliation, but I would take the risk rather than live under the rules and morbid dysfunction of the ghetto mentality.

If MORE of the community followed my lead, the police would be FAR more effective and the community would be safer, and these crimes would be FAR less prevalent. Then again you can always just chalk it up to "living in the ghetto and thats how it is." How exactly does that change anything? That mentality is WHY these crimes are happening so much and tolerated by the community. As I have learned...it only takes one person to change things. And from what I have SEEN in the heart of the ghetto, I am not the only one utilizing the police and getting results.

I say DONT accept the behavior or get sucked into the mentality of "its the ghetto." You are just buying into their lifestyle, accepting it, and contributing to the problem.

As for this soeasy character.....I am sure if you and everyone of your persuasion promised to stay in the hood, and never leave the projects, and not seek any sort of equality, education, or rights of any kind, then everyone else would be happy to stay out of the ghetto and provide you with very cheap rent. So until all of you stay out of restaurants, public transportation, any areas/streets/establishments outside of the projecst, and we don't have to see, hear or ever be exposed to you, we will be invading "your" areas as much as you invade "ours."

Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There's alot more on this story here - many more posts about the situation from the OP. maybe this will clarify things as he doesn't seem to be coming back here to answer anyone's posts. The link brings you to a forums page kind of like this one but there are a few annoying ads you have to click through to see the whole thread.

[URL="http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2745010&userid=0&perpage=4 0&pagenumber=1"]Being the whiteboy in the hood has started to get tense. Now what? - The Something Awful Forums[/URL]
I like the part where he tries to justify his decision to move there by saying Bedstuy has a lower murder rate then Detroit or Baltimore but still high.

Too bad Bedstuy has comparable robbery and ASSUALT rates to the worst neighborhoods in those areas. Too bad Bedstuy has as many murders in it's square mile then the worst areas in both those cities. Too bad sub sections of Bedstuy, maybe the area he lives in have murder rates just as high as those two cities. Ah the things they don't tell you. WHOOPS!

Very naive kid. Why don't you do yourself a favor and move to a nicer neighborhood? One that isn't deep in the pit of poverty. Where being White isn't like wearing a sign that says "HEY LOOK AT ME I'M WHITE IN THE GHETTO".

Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,419 times
If you know who assaulted you, why not press charges, rather than let it go unaddressed.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,888 times
Guy I am in no way suggesting a blanket one fits all "don't report to the cops" situation. I was just saying, in some situations it's not that simple. I wonder why people under mafia threats etc do not just go to the cops. it's not always that simple.

In this case however, if these are just a bunch of loosely coupled wanna be gangster teenagers, then sure - report to the cops.

But do remember that the cops won't live with you 24/7 and just because someone is arrrested doesn't mean the problem goes away. see executed witnesses for more info.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Do you know anyone who is bias free??.
Yep - ME. I possess no forms of bias in my system. You say it as if it's o.k for cops to be biased because everyone else has some form of bias. In that line of work, any obvious biases should not be tolerated. Now whether or not that's the case is certainly not known.

Cops should be the last group of people to harbor any biases. How does that affect their work? certainly can't be positively

Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM

431 posts, read 2,126,091 times
I grew up in Bed-Stuy, and people can try to gentrify all they want. It's still the same ghetto 'hood. If you are white (i'm assuming you are), honey, you need to pack your bags and get the f' up out of there. These kids are not playing and you will get the beat down of your life. And please, do not call the cops. You will **** them off and then you might end up in a back alley dead somewhere. I don't want to scare you to death, but thats how they really get down in "Do or Die" Bed-Stuy.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I grew up in Bed-Stuy, and people can try to gentrify all they want. It's still the same ghetto 'hood. If you are white (i'm assuming you are), honey, you need to pack your bags and get the f' up out of there. These kids are not playing and you will get the beat down of your life. And please, do not call the cops. You will **** them off and then you might end up in a back alley dead somewhere. I don't want to scare you to death, but thats how they really get down in "Do or Die" Bed-Stuy.
"You can run, but you can't hide."
--Joe Louis

Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
I could not disagree more with NYLATINQT. The attitude of "you are white so run" is not only dumb, it just supports the ignorance, isolation, and racism these communities face. I wonder how things would have been had the "we are white lets run b/c the colored folks are coming" attitude never happened...and instead of running chose to stay, maintaining communities while also absorbing successive waves of immigrants. I believe ultimately there would never have been any ghettos like we have today, and the ghetto subculture that has invaded and perverted our communities would never have come into existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City