Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:01 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times

Advertisements

guywithacause, can you provide an example of a predominantly caucasian neighborhood that is now diversely mixed, with a multitude of races?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
If you mean a neighborhood that was at one point mostly caucasian and is now diversely mixed, probably the best example of this is Jackson Heights, Queens. When the community was established (built from recovered farm land) in the 1920's there were actually restrictions about what kinds of people could move in. I'm not exactly sure what races/religions were restricted and if the restrictions were just for coops or if it included rentals, but white people were not restricted, so that meant there was a high percentage of white people living there. I don't have a source for this other than this is what I remember reading from a history of Jackson Heights at one point.

Of course things have changed and now it is one of the most diverse places in the world. This is from wikipedia

Jackson Heights is an urban melting pot with many ethnic populations, but mainly consists of Latin Americans, multi-generational European, and Asian Americans. The Hispanic American population consists of a various mix of Latinos from many Latin American countries, mainly Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay who followed the Cuban initial immigrants. There is also an older population of Europeans of multi-generational Italian, Jewish, Polish, and Irish descent that have remained in the area. The surging Asian American community includes immigrants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Korea, and the Philippines. An additional surge is also coming from newly arriving Eastern European nations and the former Soviet Union countries. There is a commercial section of Jackson Heights known as "Little India" that is located between 37th Avenue and Broadway primarily on 73rd and 74th Streets

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM

i knew you were going to say jackson heights....thats probably the only neighborhood in the city thats closest to a microcosm of the world. there's always exceptions to the rule.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
Does Jackson Heights really have a stable white population? The last census figures I saw showed that Queens had the highest rate of white people living out of any of the 5 boroughs (which contrasts highly to the situation in Brooklyn where the white population increased).

I can think of a few neighborhoods that are somewhat mixed up with a decent sized White population. Most of Southern Brooklyn is like this. However these neighborhoods generally don't have stable white populations. Given the opportunity white people, especially the families, will move to another neighborhood or the suburbs.

Bensonhurst is a great example of this. Used to be overwhelmingly white/Italian. However some Russians and Asians started moving in and after a while the flood gates pretty much opened. The Italians in large numbers have left Bensonhurst and have been replaced by Russians, Chinese, South Asians, and Hispanics. Of course there are still lots of white people living in Bensonhurst but it is nowhere near the level of 20 years ago.

I know of a couple towns in the NYC metro area that I would consider to be stable and integrated, however they are all in NJ. The best examples I can think of are places like Montclair, NJ, Maplewood, NJ and South Orange, NJ. In all of these towns there seems to be a somewhat stable equilibrium that exists between the different races. However I would note that in all of these towns the white population (especially in Montclair) seems to be unusually left-wing and progressive, and the black population in these towns is usually quite uppper-middle class. So I think it is hard to replicate these types of situations.

In NY the only similar situation, of apparently real integration, I can think of is in the northern part of Mount Vernon. However even there, I don't think many of the families send their kids to the local public schools.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
Seventh..as there are only 3 races..I assume that you mean a diversity of cultures/religions in one neighborhood? Queens will always win out...seems like whenever I am in Queens...one block is Pakistani..the next is Greek...the next is Korean, and the next is Jamaican...and on and on.....I dunno how anyone can do deliveries...you have to know 1,000 langauges! Everything/culture/religion is represented in Queens...

But to answer your questions specifically, there are vast numbers of neighborhoods around the city that are mixed. What level of diversity do you seek is the question I ask.. 80/20? 60/40? 50/50, 40/60?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
Yep - ME. I possess no forms of bias in my system. You say it as if it's o.k for cops to be biased because everyone else has some form of bias. In that line of work, any obvious biases should not be tolerated. Now whether or not that's the case is certainly not known.

Cops should be the last group of people to harbor any biases. How does that affect their work? certainly can't be positively
That's BS... everyone has something they are prejudiced or biased about. It is human nature and there isn't anything wrong with it. However, what you do with those prejudices and how you react when confronted by folks who you have prejudged notions about is something different.

You are right, cops should be the last group to let their prejudices effect their work. Sometimes it is not easy and this is one of the characteristics that separate the very good cops from the others.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 AM

430 posts, read 835,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
guywithacause, can you provide an example of a predominantly caucasian neighborhood that is now diversely mixed, with a multitude of races?
Jersey City? It has a stable white population but is more diversely mixed than any hood in NYC.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
Jersey City is very diverse, but it has the same dynamic as a lot of areas of Northern Brooklyn. The white population only remains high because there is a constant inflow of hipster/yuppies who replace the old ethnic whites that continue to leave JC. Most of the new residents of JC are concentrated near the waterfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Jersey City? It has a stable white population but is more diversely mixed than any hood in NYC.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:47 AM

430 posts, read 835,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I grew up in Bed-Stuy, and people can try to gentrify all they want. It's still the same ghetto 'hood. If you are white (i'm assuming you are), honey, you need to pack your bags and get the f' up out of there. These kids are not playing and you will get the beat down of your life. And please, do not call the cops. You will **** them off and then you might end up in a back alley dead somewhere. I don't want to scare you to death, but thats how they really get down in "Do or Die" Bed-Stuy.
Bed-Stuy was a white neighborhood for longer than it has been a black neighborhood. Things change. "White flight" is reversing, and you can't stop it unless you can afford those $600,000 brownstones yourself. Can you?

You can't keep a certain type of people out of a neighborhood if they want to be there and have the money to buy what they are looking for. Beating them up will only get you sent to jail... then what have you accomplished?

Maybe the OP will be scared away, but 4 out of 5 "urban pioneers" are looking for this sort of crap to brag about to their friends... how they risked it all to simply be able to live as they wanted.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Bed-Stuy was a white neighborhood for longer than it has been a black neighborhood.
wrong...bed-stuy is one of the oldest black neighborhoods in the city. read up on it.

Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City