Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 AM

861 posts, read 852,864 times

Advertisements

Hmm, not sure what these folks expected. If you move into a formerly run down area in the midst of gentrification, then the existing problems of bad schools etc still remain. As I have kids, I still move into only established areas and higher prices are a reflection of things like better schools etc already being priced in!!

Likewise a new and upcoming area is cheaper for a reason. You cannot have it both ways.

In short racism or prejudice at best plays a role in the attitudes of the hipsters. I am not afraid to say it.

As a Brit racial housing segregation in the US is a very clear to me, attempting to pretend something else is going on here is sheer denial. Was strolling around Greenwich village with my wife (who is scandinavian) on sunday and she was quick to remark upon how I was the only black person visible for miles around. I hadn't even noticed it, but she was very right!!

I always notice it in Beverly Hills too, as local residents often call me out asking indirectly "what am I doing here or up to?". Their fears are often quickly allayed by my plummy British accent, but the fact remains they wouldn't have done it had I been white!!

They never do it when I am walking with my wife, somehow I think they assume "if she is with him, he must be ok"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I have a problem with the way "ghetto kids" are demonized by some posters here
Safety and security requires the avoidance of ghetto kids. And the word ghetto is highly appropriate since it doesn't take race into account, since that factor is not important.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wasn't opinion for anarchy. You're taking my respect for freedom to the ultimate nadir so as to make my opinion look foolish. You know that's just stupid.

Unless one is touting total anarchy, or foolishly enamored by libertarian utopias, then that person knows laws are necessary. The argument will always be which laws, and how to enforceme them properly.
And you are a cop? hide behind that screen with your ideals, why don't you. You will never let your true feelings out and thats why this attack on PC will go nowhere except with the small minority of loud dimwit Trump supporters.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
God forbid you're black and speak proper english in the "hood". You'll be ridiculed to no end, yet its the "white man" keeping them down.
What do you know about black experiences? Do you just take one person's experience that fit your rhetoric, and refuse to ignore the others that go against your ignorance?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 AM

This whole post made me completely sick, which is an everyday occurrence on the internet. However, I always find it convenient when people generalize an experience that is not their own, that somehow they grew up in the hood, or are part black or a teacher around minority kids. Honestly hilarious. No one I know was teased or bullied for talking "white". It's a cycle of one person saying it in the media and the opposition remembering the negative because that all they ever do. Kids do dumb things, white kids bully others and they shoot up the school, but for some reason thats not a generalization for white folks buy yet its an issue that black kids ridicule others for talking "white".

Old 10-05-2015, 09:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Hmm, not sure what these folks expected. If you move into a formerly run down area in the midst of gentrification, then the existing problems of bad schools etc still remain. As I have kids, I still move into only established areas and higher prices are a reflection of things like better schools etc already being priced in!!

Likewise a new and upcoming area is cheaper for a reason. You cannot have it both ways.

In short racism or prejudice at best plays a role in the attitudes of the hipsters. I am not afraid to say it.

As a Brit racial housing segregation in the US is a very clear to me, attempting to pretend something else is going on here is sheer denial. Was strolling around Greenwich village with my wife (who is scandinavian) on sunday and she was quick to remark upon how I was the only black person visible for miles around. I hadn't even noticed it, but she was very right!!

I always notice it in Beverly Hills too, as local residents often call me out asking indirectly "what am I doing here or up to?". Their fears are often quickly allayed by my plummy British accent, but the fact remains they wouldn't have done it had I been white!!

They never do it when I am walking with my wife, somehow I think they assume "if she is with him, he must be ok"
Race, class, academic background and diet are huge issues and major hurdles amongst populous of this city when in certain geographic areas of this city. Even though I have nothing against gentry and gentrification, I personally believe gentrification has made things in NYC worse for the average folk in this city. Gentrification supposed to improve lives of all persons, but only improves lives for a select few like those with an education, those that own property or business. Thank goodness that NYC is a large city and that gentrification has limits. Smaller densely populated cities like DC, Boston and SF will get gentrified out.

As for education? Gentrification has yet to fix the public school system here. Gentry either move to the burbs or back to suburbia, while some others if they can afford private education, or enroll their child into charter and magnet schools. The gentry have kids late like around 35-40 in order to advance their careers and pay off 60k college tuition fees or so. It amazes me how liberals talk about living, working learning together, but when it boils down to education, they want their little Caleb attending school in a poor neighborhood or a neighborhood that is mostly opposite race. Most of these folks that move into Manhattan and inner city neighborhoods of Upper Manhattan, South Bronx, Western Queens, NOrthwest Brooklyn, Western Brooklyn and Central West Brooklyn are in for a rude awaking with their suburban upbringing and expectations.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Ghetto kids are to be avoided on the subways * if at all possible. Noise levels sky rocket and they sometimes knock into passengers on purpose to start ****. Not all of them do but to them the subway is a STAGE. Lights Camera Action...some can handle the role while many others can't.

I used to hate riding the trains when school let out.

A friend and I have come to the conclusion that a diet high in sugar might be part of the problem.
Wrong. I hear drinking water makes people go nuts in NYC. All this hipsters and yuppies drink organic artisanal water. Some even shower with it.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
And you are a cop? hide behind that screen with your ideals, why don't you. You will never let your true feelings out and thats why this attack on PC will go nowhere except with the small minority of loud dimwit Trump supporters.
You chose an odd example of my posts to attack me.

Anyway, I'm not a Trump supporter. I think he is a pompous boob and have said so in the thread about him more than a few times. Maybe you should read a little more closely before going after any particular poster.

I welcome you to explain a little more as to how your comment connects with the one of mine you quoted.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Ghetto kids are to be avoided on the subways * if at all possible. Noise levels sky rocket and they sometimes knock into passengers on purpose to start ****. Not all of them do but to them the subway is a STAGE. Lights Camera Action...some can handle the role while many others can't.

I used to hate riding the trains when school let out.

A friend and I have come to the conclusion that a diet high in sugar might be part of the problem.
I started leaving my house an hour earlier just to avoid having to ride the train during the height of their morning commute. Some are well behaved but many of them are loud and obnoxious with no respect for the civilized people riding the train with them.

I once was sharing a poll with about 3 of them when I overheard one teen telling another that he's a punk because he never had a fight. So they went back and forth and one teen said..."I'll punch somebody in the face right now. Dare me". I looked up at that kid and gave him a look like "You wont make it to your destination if you even lift a finger to me". These are the type of kids that get beat up, shot, stabbed, etc... then their mother is on the 10 O'clock news talking about "my son was such a good boy!"

Last edited by louie0406; 10-05-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Brooklyn is sort of like an Indian reservation, sure you got the new folks moving in but you can't kick out all the locals. There are people here for generations and they won't be leaving anytime soon. As long as all these conveniences nearby need labor guess who's working there?

You can't have everything your way. Which is why I would never pay $3k to live in an apt surrounded by people paying only 1/10 of that.

You want segregation, you go to North NJ. NYC segregation is here to stay unless you send your kids to private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City