Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM

148 posts, read 130,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
But if someone's numbers add up (income, credit, assets, etc.), what would be grounds for rejecting them? "We don't like your personality?" "You seem loud?" This would cause so much legal havoc that I don't see how such screening is possible... If they're qualified by the numbers, they're qualified, unless I've missed some caveat in the rejection criteria...

Try to prove it !! Works really well for COOPS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 10:14 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
People could claim discrimination, from racial to ethnic to immigration status to sexual orientation...that's one of the reasons they're so obsessed (I think over so) in going by the numbers. If someone's qualified, they're qualified, and good luck trying to keep people out on vague criteria that they might cause a disturbance...

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
People could claim discrimination, from racial to ethnic to immigration status to sexual orientation...that's one of the reasons they're so obsessed (I think over so) in going by the numbers. If someone's qualified, they're qualified, and good luck trying to keep people out on vague criteria that they might cause a disturbance...
Breaking Ground gave me a landlord verification form (for 10 Freedom Place) asking questions of the landlord like: were there any incidents that required police presence? do you plan on returning the applicant's security deposit in full?

I don't know why they ask these questions, because they cannot disqualify someone for any of this. The bar is incredibly low... as far as landlord-tenant stuff, you can only be disqualified if:

"Developers may reject an applicant for a prior forcause
eviction, provided that a warrant of eviction
was executed upon within the last four years and
the tenant never restored to possession.
Developers may also reject an applicant for a
history of multiple landlord-tenant actions within
the last four years, provided that the actions were
commenced by the landlord and resulted in a
judgment of possession."

Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 AM

And one of the reasons tenant selection for these developments (the 80/20 buildings) has been turned over to outside marketing agents is to avoid discrimination and bias that the actual developers of these luxury buildings might have a vested interest in maintaining. I actually read that somewhere, albeit not in those exact words.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
BG is completely ignoring that rule (they ask questions in their interviews similarly designed to elicit information that wouldn't be grounds for rejection). People need to complain when this happens, and keep complaining. They're used to being able to manhandle homeless people around (which they shouldn't be doing either, btw, although there may be some grounds for additional screening for certain homeless programs) and won't respect applicants until some consequences attach.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM

That's an excellent point. I think BG is incompetent, and my main complaint against those who work there is that they seem unable to read, and they treat people like criminals, but I can't exactly say I've been asked anything inappropriate that would go beyond financials.

What kinds of questions are they asking to weed you (I assume you're writing from personal experience) or others out? Please post. People should definitely complain about that to HPD, the mayor's office, the public advocate's office, or the commission on human rights (someone on the forum went that far against BG, and got the apartment). BG does have more complaints against it than any other marketing agent.

Last edited by Moving415; 09-13-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM

"How well does your landlord keep up your building?"
"What do you think good credit is?" (general question, not a response to my saying something about it)
"If someone was having a loud party next door to you late at night, how would you handle it?"

etc. To the last one, I said that first I'd try to talk to the person, then I'd call building management. He laughed and said "Right answer...do you know some people say they'd call the cops?" I didn't tell him that that would have been my third step!

So, trying to screen out people who try to hold their landlords to high standards of maintenance (can't think of any other reason to ask the first question) or who would make a 100% legitimate noise complaint! And then trying to get at *something* about my attitude about money which would go beyond the extensive financial documentation I was handing over. He said he needed to be able to tell the review group that I was a "friendly" person, because it was a "friendly building."

Friendliness, oddly enough, is not a criterion specified in the marketing handbook.

They did a bunch of other BS, too.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM

You should report this. These questions are completely inappropriate, and potentially discriminatory, depending on who's being asked these questions and who isn't. But thanks for the warning, because even though I'm quiet, I have a fairly high tolerance for other people's noise, and usually wait for someone else to complain. I wouldn't call the cops because they wouldn't come. I usually just wait out the noise, because it rarely bothers me. I've trained myself to tune out. But thanks to your post, I know the "right answer" in case I'm asked. I can't believe someone at BG would be so stupid as to say something like "the right answer," but given my experience with BG, I guess I can. Friendly? Are you serious? That has nothing to do with being eligible for affordable housing. Were these questions asked for American Copper, or another BG building? In any case, HPD should be alerted. BG does live in fear of HPD.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:02 PM

Another building. I'm waiting til the end of the process there before I decide whether/how to file a complaint.

To be "fair," I'm not visibly in any demo that is normally discriminated against in housing. But who knows. Still totally inappropriate.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:10 PM

If you're rejected, definitely include this in your HPD appeal, pointing out that this line of questioning is potentially discriminatory, and seems to violate the HPD guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery