Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
In my opinion, yes.

I can't tap into the minds of other people, but I do believe most white people in NYC appreciate the diversity of neigbborhoods they choose to live in (for those who live in diverse neighborhoods).

I'm white and I appreciate diversity.
no they dont. if they truly valued diversity they wouldnt file noise complaints or call the cops for block parties and other miscellaneous BS. theyd leave the 311 and calls to.police for serious things like criminal actovity not because some ppl wanna hang on their stoop in.the summer cuz its hot AF inside their apt on a hot summer day. if they really valued diversity theyd embrace the local neighborhood culture as is and only seek to fix the same things the neighborhood activists have been fighting to fix for decades. they wouldn't try to to resell a chopped cheese sandwich for $8. they wouldn't steal recipes from ethnic eateries and then resell it for 3x the price. they wouldn't try to turn the area into the same.boring white bread suburb they came.from. being a culture vulture is.not appreciating diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 04:33 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
New York's population is in DECLINE again for the first time in 10 years. Immigration to NYC is DOWN, and a number of NYC's are moving to PA, NJ, and CT (33%), or they go to Florida (25%). So gentrification will soon become yesterday's news (I'm referencing articles in the Daily News, the Wall Street Journal, etc.)
I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts the overwhelming majority of those leaving NY are the people who have been leaving NY for the last 60-70 years: Blue collar/lower middle class outer borough whites (though not as much), Middle class African-Americans/Hispanics and now maybe even middle class Asian immigrants. If for anything, I could see more gentry type young people moving to NY now that rents are falling especially as LA, SF, Boston, DC, Seattle are also just as expensive.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts the overwhelming majority of those leaving NY are the people who have been leaving NY for the last 60-70 years: Blue collar/lower middle class outer borough whites (though not as much), Middle class African-Americans/Hispanics and now maybe even middle class Asian immigrants. If for anything, I could see more gentry type young people moving to NY now that rents are falling especially as LA, SF, Boston, DC, Seattle are also just as expensive.
Millennial migration from cities - Business Insider

Millennials are leaving big cities now. Most of the young people who move in don't find it sustainable. They leave, to be replaced by other young people.

The white population in NYC is not stable. They would have to send their kids to ****ty public schools, which most refuse to consider for some obvious reasons. So it's back home or to the suburbs when it's time to raise a family, unless they are super successful.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 PM

Why Millennials Are About to Leave Cities in Droves | Fortune.com

Fortune magazine thinks that the Great Recession extended millennials staying in cities as they could not afford to buy their own places in the suburbs.

"As they age, says Myers, millennials’ presence in cities, will “be evaporating . . . through our fingers, if we don’t make some plans now.†That’s because millennials’ preference for cities will fade as they start families and become more established in their careers.

It’s about more than aging, though. Demographer William Frey has been arguing for years that millennials have become ‘stuck’ in cities by the 2008 downturn and the following slow recovery, with poor job prospects and declining wages making it harder for them to afford to buy homes in suburbia. (That’s compounded by higher student debt loads among millennials.)
Myers, too, says observers have confused young people’s presence in cities with a preference for cities. Survey data shows that more millennials would like to be living in the suburbs than actually are. But the normal career and family cycles moving young people from cities into suburban houses have become, in Myers’ words, “a plugged up drain.â€

But unemployment has finally returned to healthy lows (though participation rates and wages are still largely stagnant), which Myers says should finally increase mobility for millennials. Evidence of that reversal is still emerging, though Myers cites a revival of urban out-migration in 2013 and 2014, and recent data shows renewed growth in the suburbs."

Most of the white kids I've know who have lived in Bedstuy or Bushwick told me of quality of life and crime issues, and that they would never consider living there again after they moved out. The kids who moved into those places couldn't afford anything better at the time, and the moment they can move to something better they do.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:47 PM

983 posts, read 931,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
no they dont. if they truly valued diversity they wouldnt file noise complaints or call the cops for block parties and other miscellaneous BS. theyd leave the 311 and calls to.police for serious things like criminal actovity not because some ppl wanna hang on their stoop in.the summer cuz its hot AF inside their apt on a hot summer day. if they really valued diversity theyd embrace the local neighborhood culture as is and only seek to fix the same things the neighborhood activists have been fighting to fix for decades. they wouldn't try to to resell a chopped cheese sandwich for $8. they wouldn't steal recipes from ethnic eateries and then resell it for 3x the price. they wouldn't try to turn the area into the same.boring white bread suburb they came.from. being a culture vulture is.not appreciating diversity.
Making a neighborhood unlivable with pointless noise isn't diversity, it's just being a ****ty person

I any non-new yorker for any race would file a noise complaint, people just blame white people for this kind of thing because they think white people aren't allowed to have their own opinions

Old 12-21-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Making a neighborhood unlivable with pointless noise isn't diversity, it's just being a ****ty person

I any non-new yorker for any race would file a noise complaint, people just blame white people for this kind of thing because they think white people aren't allowed to have their own opinions
Sadly noise complaints do no good. Every white person I've known when confronted with that situation is either forced to adapt to it or leave the neighborhood altogether.

Having called 311 myself for multiple ridiculously noisy parties late during a weeknight, if residents won't let them into the building, 311 just writes a report saying they couldn't find the source of the noise. That is exactly what happened. Just like when people call 311 about housing violations, the tenants never let them in the overcrowded residence, and the investigator goes back and writes a report that they could not gain access and closes the case.

If you hate ghetto behaviors, ultimately move out of the ghetto. It's plain and simple.

To be completely fair, white people moving into hoods can live anywhere they want to. So if you find conditions ****ty there is no reason to subject yourself to that. You won't change the behaviors of the people in the hood, and those in housing projects or on rent stabilization Section 8 units are not going anywhere (the city has legions of pro bono lawyers that keep them in those apartments unless someone wants to do an expensive buyout). Besides, some landlords for some buildings would rather deal with tenants with welfare checks who are probably going to live there for life, as opposed to unstable white hipsters that might have to move home in a few months. This is true in ghettoes like Bedstuy, Harlem, and the Bronx.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Very true. I went to a barbecue in Brooklyn. Miami court. Very divided place. The hispano Caribbean and anal West Indians joined up along with African Americans. 2 houses down the block were yuppie transplants types who did their own thing and did not join it on greater multicultural activities. Sad but true.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
The white people who move into places like Bushwick tend to be younger and the party animal type, most likely the people who would make noise complaints would not move into such a neighborhood.

Stealing ethnic recipes and reselling for 3 times the price? What are you talking about? I've never even seen such a thing, any place that did such a thing would be avoided by most people.

All of the most popular Mexican and Chinese restaurants (for instance) in the city are, guess what, run by Mexican and Chinese people. There's no evil scheme by white hipsters to steal the ethnic recipes and resell them for 3x as much. I

And how is making a noise complaint racist? I personally wouldn't make a noise complaint (living in an urban area is inherently noisy), but I don't believe that simply making a noise complaint is racist. I'm sure one would do the same thing if a bunch of white kids were blasting Metal.

Turn it into a boring whitebread suburb? Even the extremely gentrified neighborhoods like the LES and Williamsburg are absolutely nothing like the suburbs, so I don't buy that rhetoric.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Very true. I went to a barbecue in Brooklyn. Miami court. Very divided place. The hispano Caribbean and anal West Indians joined up along with African Americans. 2 houses down the block were yuppie transplants types who did their own thing and did not join it on greater multicultural activities. Sad but true.
1. That goes both ways

2. If they actually were transplants then maybe they were new to the neighborhood and didn't feel comfortable going to a stranger's party

Old 12-22-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
1. That goes both ways

2. If they actually were transplants then maybe they were new to the neighborhood and didn't feel comfortable going to a stranger's party
While it's inaccurate to say EVERY white person would feel uncomfortable going to parties in Bushwick with people of color, there are huge cultural and even language barriers that exist. Even dealing with Anglo Caribbeans, many of them speak Creole languages that a white person could not easily understand.

Not to mention other huge differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City