Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I have no problem with the former, but we would need very different leadership in City Hall, Albany, and in Washington for this to come to pass.

The city doesn't control the MTA. It really could sell bonds backed by real estate taxes collected from areas benefiting from new subways (Bloomberg did this for the 7 train expansion), but they don't seem to be interested in doing this on a broader scale (they don't control the MTA).

Meanwhile since it's going to be awhile before we get major subway expansion, the infrastructure is just not there to allow massive new highrises to sprout in areas currently not zoned for them.
Actually, Albany was working on a bill to remove zoning caps on MTA owned properties. I think most people in NYS/NYC government deep down know that a supply sided solution is the way out but then you have the community boards which then hold City Council hostage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Actually, Albany was working on a bill to remove zoning caps on MTA owned properties. I think most people in NYS/NYC government deep down know that a supply sided solution is the way out but then you have the community boards which then hold City Council hostage.
Was working on is not the same as actually passed. There is also minimal federal contribution. The government support just isn't there yet for a major upgrade to the MTA. Only recently with Cuomo being slammed had he been forced to own the issue.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:07 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
(that's all utilities and cable, etc included though) so it's not awful, and it's on a very nice block. I just don't want to move to a ****ty area and have to pay the same amount for a studio with roaches and rats and people who will throw rocks at me when I pick up my dog's poop off the street. I lived on a ****ty block before I moved here and when I would pick up my dog's poop people would call me the F word and say only F's do that :/

You get to a point where NYC isn't worth it anymore, but sometimes you get STUCK. I need to learn how to drive lol
I think you should consider moving to a part of northern New Jersey that's walkable if you want to stay in the region with the job you have or try looking for job openings in Philadelphia and Chicago. It's not good to feel so stuck.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you should consider moving to a part of northern New Jersey that's walkable if you want to stay in the region with the job you have or try looking for job openings in Philadelphia and Chicago. It's not good to feel so stuck.
There are cheaper rooms in the outer boroughs and upper Manhattan. Getting rid of the dog would also make more rooms available for him. If you can't take care of yourself, how can you take care of a dog? Worry about your own situation first.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
They need to displace a lot of people in the Bronx. I hope they do. I only have pity for the elderly and handicapped. All else move aside and head down to Ocala. Its life.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They need to displace a lot of people in the Bronx. I hope they do. I only have pity for the elderly and handicapped. All else move aside and head down to Ocala. Its life.
Is this NyWriterdude talking.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:04 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Where they going move to ?

Old 07-08-2017, 05:22 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are cheaper rooms in the outer boroughs and upper Manhattan. Getting rid of the dog would also make more rooms available for him. If you can't take care of yourself, how can you take care of a dog? Worry about your own situation first.
100% agree with you on this. I think people's priorities are messed up.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:26 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Obviously out of NYC. The Bronx IS gentrifying and the ghetto people will have to step aside. What's important is that the good areas remain good, so the rents have to keep going up. The last thing we need is areas like Country Club, Morris Park, Woodlawn, etc going to hell. Keep Section 8 OUT so those areas remain good.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
To the same places people have been moving to from NYC throughout US history. Its natural evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City