Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I remember that my first time going to the Bronx was actually going to Riverdale with some friends visiting their old teachers and acquaintances there. I knew from what they had told me, and a cursory look on the internet, that this was a very different part of the Bronx, but I still didn't really have it in my head just how nice it'd actually be. At most at the time, I think I was expecting something that looked okay and not run down but it wasn't just not run-down, but it was actually one of the nicest neighborhoods in probably all of New York. It's a real eye-opener and I think people don't understand that Riverdale isn't just a great Bronx neighborhood, but a great neighborhood in general.
Can tell you that not too many places have homes that are from the early 1900s and still standing on large plots. You can find this throughout Riverdale from Spuyten Duyvil to Fieldston to North Riverdale. Something akin to Forest Hills Gardens, but Riverdale offers amazing views of the Hudson as well. Waterfront property will never go out of style and it's one reason that Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Country Club and City Island have held on and are some of the nicest areas of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Can tell you that not too many places have homes that are from the early 1900s and still standing on large plots. You can find this throughout Riverdale from Spuyten Duyvil to Fieldston to North Riverdale. Something akin to Forest Hills Gardens, but Riverdale offers amazing views of the Hudson as well. Waterfront property will never go out of style and it's one reason that Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Country Club and City Island have held on and are some of the nicest areas of the city.
I actually think Riverdale, because of the aforementioned old architecture and the kind of care and effort that went into creating those buildings, is a lot nicer than Throggs Neck, Country Club and City Island even though those are fine themselves. I feel like the larger Riverdale area (including Fieldston) is really an amazing catch. Having visited Wave Hill Gardens, which was part of my introduction to Riverdale, might have biased me quite a bit though, as I recognize that's a pretty unique landmark.

I think if I ever have kids and the Penn Station Access plan ever comes to fruition, then I might actually end up buying and living there. It's just such a remarkable neighborhood. Close by (or maybe within its borders, but I think it's actually neighboring Kingsbridge) is also some of the best pastrami and chopped liver (separate) I've ever had.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I actually think Riverdale, because of the aforementioned old architecture and the kind of care and effort that went into creating those buildings, is a lot nicer than Throggs Neck, Country Club and City Island even though those are fine themselves. I feel like the larger Riverdale area (including Fieldston) is really an amazing catch. Having visited Wave Hill Gardens, which was part of my introduction to Riverdale, might have biased me quite a bit though, as I recognize that's a pretty unique landmark.

I think if I ever have kids and the Penn Station Access plan ever comes to fruition, then I might actually end up buying and living there. It's just such a remarkable neighborhood. Close by (or maybe within its borders, but I think it's actually neighboring Kingsbridge) is also some of the best pastrami and chopped liver (separate) I've ever had.
I can understand. As was said, simply can't find housing built like that anymore. Am generally not a fan of the housing in Throggs Neck. What it has going for it is the views of the sound more than anything. Parts of Country Club however are quite stunning too, particularly the Spencer Estates area. It looks like something out of Westchester and a complete 360 from the South Bronx. When you see it, the name Country Club makes sense. Very suburban with the grass going up to the curb in some places.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 AM

444 posts, read 387,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I subscribed to Trulia, Zillow, Redfin and a couple of others. Eventually I hooked up with a realtor because you really can't get into to see many apartments without them. And you absolutely have to have a relationship with a bank already in place, otherwise you won't be considered a serious and qualified buyer. I haven't closed yet and have to still get through the board, but I have no reason to believe I wouldn't be approved as my qualifications are exactly what they would want; good income, great credit score, family oriented, stable job, big down payment, and a clean background check.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Pardon my long rant on this subject...

I haven't been around for a few months, just lurked, but I need to chime in.

As someone who makes just shy under the median income of NYC in a professional job the only rents I can afford hover around 1300 dollars a month with the 40x rent rule. After a year and a half of housing lottery fiascos I've have become a bit jaded. I got so close a few times only to lose out, but whatever, that's not the point of this thread.

Prior to that I was searching for apartments in the Bronx and there were some for 1200 dollars. This was when the section 8 allowance was about 1200 dollars for a one bedroom, and now it's 1500 dollars as of last year. COINCIDENCE much!? I do not begrudge people on Section 8, but it does place a horrible HORRIBLE price ceiling on apartments in the bronx.

So as a working person I cannot afford the new 1500 dollar a month pricetag for studios and one bedrooms in the bronx, but the gazillion people on section 8, CAN now all of a sudden.

Landlords ***** and moan about section 8 tenants, but it's an automatic check to them, and they can charge MUCH higher than market rates would go for in certain areas, so they do it. Well landlords are MORONS. They should rent to people with full time jobs who can afford 1200 instead of squeezing out the tax payers anal glands for that extra 300 they know they can to keep their buildings filled with section 8. It's frustrating and it really makes you realize that it's very hard to survive in this city unless you make a lot of money or on assistance. They probably figure their buildings are already so down-trodden and parasitic anyway, might as well keep it that way. How about extending a hand to real working class people in this city for a change!?

rant OVER
This clearly points to the right solution for the Bronx: abolish the projects, move the permanent welfare users to rural Midwest (where the lack of jobs matches their lack of interest in working), abolish Section 8 in New York City except for the elderly or seriously disabled, make the former welfare projects available for rent to lower-income people like Aquarius, who would pay 33% to 75% of a market-rate rent, on a sliding scale according to their income (similar as it is done in low-income senior housing). The quality of life in all parts of the Bronx would go up several million percent, as people like Aquarius clearly focus on managing their life within their means, rather than holding up a neighbor at a knifepoint to get money for crack.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
If you don't think the Bronx is overpriced you need to get out of the NYC and take a look at the rest of America.

In Chicago I was living downtown in a big 1 bedroom with a nice view for $1645. Quick access to everything and living next door to the local "upper class" folks. In the Maryland suburbs, you can pay a similar price for a 2 bedroom in Howard County (one of the richest in the country) with access by car to both Baltimore and Washington DC. In NYC, for that price you need to live in the hood.

Most of the BX offers very little local amenities. Most of the restaurants are greasy nasty fast food and there are few bars you'd want to go to. Bruckner blvd is pretty much a ghost town. The best thing I remember is that it was easy to find parking there. Has it gotten any livelier in 2017?

The Bronx is a good place to sleep and pay cheap rents, but now the "cheap" part is very questionable.
Chicago? Maryland? (Not a city but a state.) Hey, if you are going to another city why stop there? Why not move to Berlin? or Paris? I really liked Sorrento.

Or we can talk about where middle class people who don't want to, or can't pay 1/2 their salary in rent can live on the city in which they are employed, NYC, in a forum about NYC. That might need making some compromises until the town comes when a critical mass is able to attract better stores.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Can you see you're missing the point. The rents are no longer a *bargain* in the Bronx, even in the worse areas, so that means people with higher incomes *MUST* move in, and I can't see those people being okay with such poor amenities. In some cases there has been a 50% increase in the rent, and you think those people moving in now are going to be okay with the same lackluster amenities paying such exorbitant rents? I can't see how that would be the case.

A decent inexpensive supermarket would help the Bronx attract higher incomes, I think a Trader Joe's or even an Aldi might do well. Just because you make more money doesn't mean you want to spend it.

I don't think the South Bronx is ready for Whole Foods. I can see Whole Foods in Parkchester though but I don't know how well it would do.

I've never been a fan of WF and prefer TJ or Aldi more simply because I shop weekly and shop simiply.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
A decent inexpensive supermarket would help the Bronx attract higher incomes, I think a Trader Joe's or even an Aldi might do well. Just because you make more money doesn't mean you want to spend it.

I don't think the South Bronx is ready for Whole Foods. I can see Whole Foods in Parkchester though but I don't know how well it would do.

I've never been a fan of WF and prefer TJ or Aldi more simply because I shop weekly and shop simiply.
No a WF makes no sense in those areas. I think it would have to be close to a place like Riverdale that's upper middle to upper class.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
It really has one of the best commutes in the Bronx. When there is no traffic, if leaving early enough, can get the BxM6 into Midtown or whatever in about 30 minutes. That is also true with the 6 train when there are no issues, as it offers express service from Parkchester. Very little of the Bronx that is decent with access to the subway is that accessible so quickly to Manhattan. From Riverdale via MetroNorth, one can get to Manhattan in under 30 minutes, but that does not include getting to the actual stations which are along the Hudson River, and the neighborhood is rather isolated, as it requires a bus ride to access the subway downhill in Kingsbridge or a long walk to 242nd street.

I wish I had known this before we settled where we are now. But it is excellent info for the next apartment. Thank you :-)

Old 07-10-2017, 11:19 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post

I don't see what's wrong with a regular supermarket. They have fruits and vegetables and meat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City