Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:32 PM

444 posts, read 387,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am thinking Morris Park would be the best bet out of the three areas. Subway service isn't the greatest (is located just outside of the area), but there is the BxM10 express bus to Manhattan, which most use to avoid any riff raff or whatever. Streets are clean, and Montefiore and Albert Einstein anchor the area, and there's lots of good Italian local places like Scaglione Brothers Bakery & Deli. Indian Village, which is part of Morris Park right next to the Albert Einstein campus is quite lovely. Clean, charming homes all about, and lots of green. Remember years ago when colleagues came to the Bronx for the first time, were afraid to drive there fearing they would be shot. We convinced them to come and they were shocked that they were in the Bronx with birds chirping enjoying BBQ, but such is life in Morris Park. No ghetto behavior, clean streets, family-oriented and safe. Would likely find the best deals inside of a house. Not many co-ops that I can think of that one could rent from, but can find very nice places if you are paying over $1300 a month. Saw a nice place the other day around $1500 on Paulding, right off of Morris Park Avenue. Brand new everything. Key is to stay *EAST* of Bronxdale Avenue, as things deterioriate rapidly by the time you reach White Plains Rd in Van Nest. Am not such a fan of the housing stock in Pelham Bay. If anything, Country Club has much better options, though very few rentals and much more suburban, but can take the express bus (BxM8) into Manhattan or the BxM9 depending on one's location.

Should also mention, you can avoid the 4 subway and take the BxM4 express bus on the Grand Concourse, or walk to MetroNorth. Much more pleasant commute.
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. Morris Park sounds like what I want.
I had no idea about the express bus. I am taking the bus. I don't care if it is extra $$$. I will pay to not deal with the 4 train. I will be closer to the Concourse and I know exactly where the stop is. THANK YOU so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 01:39 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. Morris Park sounds like what I want.
I had no idea about the express bus. I am taking the bus. I don't care if it is extra $$$. I will pay to not deal with the 4 train. I will be closer to the Concourse and I know exactly where the stop is. THANK YOU so much
Roseaba has used the express bus and can attest to it being a much nicer ride. Fare is $6.50, but if riding regularly, can purchase a unlimited Metrocard for the express bus that is good for 7 days just like the regular weekly Metrocard. It costs $59.50 per week. BxM4 runs 7 days a week, so you can use it daily if need be.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Roseaba has used the express bus and can attest to it being a much nicer ride. Fare is $6.50, but if riding regularly, can purchase a unlimited Metrocard for the express bus that is good for 7 days just like the regular weekly Metrocard. It costs $59.50 per week. BxM4 runs 7 days a week, so you can use it daily if need be.
Just convenience wise the express bus sounds better since we will be right off the Concourse and the stop in Manhattan is two blocks from my job. #winning,

The B/D is two blocks up the Concourse and the 4 is down 3 blocks and across the park.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
I have used the Express bus in Queens to Manhattan. Never in the Bronx. It really depends on where you are going. For me, it didn't make much sense because it took longer to get to where I wanted to go, and left me farther away. But it is a nice ride.

I think Morris Park is a nice area when I visited. I put an offer on an apartment there. However, I was turned down due to a cash offer. (I can't buy an apartment in cash.) It was pretty with houses and grassy lawns. The shopping was mostly mom and pop shopping. The place I was looking at was really far from the train, a good 10-15 minute walk to either the 2 or the 5. (It was equal distance between both stops.) And that did give me room to pause a little bit because the station that would have been closest to me, was a bit desolate. I thought about my twelve year old daughter walking those streets in the winter, where it gets dark at 4:30pm. I liked that the Bronx Zoo and Botanical gardens was close by. It would make nice biking.

After being turned down, I put an offer on an apartment in Parkchester. It has more big box stores; things like Macy's, Starbucks. It's not as nice as Morris Park as far as ambiance, but it is not bad either and I think the availability of major shopping so close is a plus. It will be the first time I didn't have to travel somewhere to buy basics like socks and underwear! I think overall, it is more convenient for me because the 'every thing I need' shopping is all less than five blocks from where I will be buying. The subway, even closer, just a five minute walk. I have discovered their is a community supported agricultural club in the area. I am seriously considering joining that which means local organic produce for about $13 a week, paid up front. I definitely spend MORE than that on fresh produce each week. The demographics of Morris Park is here. http://statisticalatlas.com/neighbor...-Park/Overview

For me subway is an absolute. Express buses are a nice thing to have but I won't move to an area that has no subway.

In a few years, predicted around 2020, there will be two new MetroNorth stations built; one in the western part of Parkchester. With it will also be commercial and aesthetic development in terms of commercial enterprises and planting of trees. I predict any property that is already there, will increase in value with that new transportation hub. Because much of the population is geriatric, you can expect many younger people to replace them.

Peirrepont is correct when he says there are many brown people in the Parkchester area. They are largely hispanic. However, there is a significant population of people from Bangledeshi origin as well. There are a lot of people with solid middle class professions in the area and that what matters most to me.
http://statisticalatlas.com/neighbor...ester/Overview

Old 07-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I have used the Express bus in Queens to Manhattan. Never in the Bronx. It really depends on where you are going. For me, it didn't make much sense because it took longer to get to where I wanted to go, and left me farther away. But it is a nice ride.

I think Morris Park is a nice area when I visited. I put an offer on an apartment there. However, I was turned down due to a cash offer. (I can't buy an apartment in cash.) It was pretty with houses and grassy lawns. The shopping was mostly mom and pop shopping. The place I was looking at was really far from the train, a good 10-15 minute walk to either the 2 or the 5. (It was equal distance between both stops.) And that did give me room to pause a little bit because the station that would have been closest to me, was a bit desolate. I thought about my twelve year old daughter walking those streets in the winter, where it gets dark at 4:30pm. I liked that the Bronx Zoo and Botanical gardens was close by. It would make nice biking.

After being turned down, I put an offer on an apartment in Parkchester. It has more big box stores; things like Macy's, Starbucks. It's not as nice as Morris Park as far as ambiance, but it is not bad either and I think the availability of major shopping so close is a plus. It will be the first time I didn't have to travel somewhere to buy basics like socks and underwear! I think overall, it is more convenient for me because the 'every thing I need' shopping is all less than five blocks from where I will be buying. The subway, even closer, just a five minute walk. I have discovered their is a community supported agricultural club in the area. I am seriously considering joining that which means local organic produce for about $13 a week, paid up front. I definitely spend MORE than that on fresh produce each week. The demographics of Morris Park is here. http://statisticalatlas.com/neighbor...-Park/Overview

For me subway is an absolute. Express buses are a nice thing to have but I won't move to an area that has no subway.

In a few years, predicted around 2020, there will be two new MetroNorth stations built; one in the western part of Parkchester. With it will also be commercial and aesthetic development in terms of commercial enterprises and planting of trees. I predict any property that is already there, will increase in value with that new transportation hub. Because much of the population is geriatric, you can expect many younger people to replace them.

Peirrepont is correct when he says there are many brown people in the Parkchester area. They are largely hispanic. However, there is a significant population of people from Bangledeshi origin as well. There are a lot of people with solid middle class professions in the area and that what matters most to me.
Am in agreement, but having the subway outside of Morris Park also is one thing that keeps it nice. Parkchester is one of the few neighborhoods in the Bronx that has subway access that isn't a hellhole. The best areas of the Bronx are generally removed from the subway, meaning most residents use the express bus, which is the case with Morris Park. It is safer and depending on the time of day, quicker too.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

With the expansion of MetroNorth Parkchester is appealing. After quickly looking at Morris Park as pierrepont7731 said rentals might be hard to find in Morris Park.

I remember mentioning on this forum that my BF and I looked into Parkchester Gardens but didn't go through with the application. I'm not giving up my cat and they have a not pet policy. But we both really liked the area.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
With the expansion of MetroNorth Parkchester is appealing. After quickly looking at Morris Park as pierrepont7731 said rentals might be hard to find in Morris Park.

I remember mentioning on this forum that my BF and I looked into Parkchester Gardens but didn't go through with the application. I'm not giving up my cat and they have a not pet policy. But we both really liked the area.
Should mention that Morris Park will also get a MetroNorth station when Parkchester does. The stations will all open at the same time when complete.

Quote:
Just convenience wise the express bus sounds better since we will be right off the Concourse and the stop in Manhattan is two blocks from my job. #winning,

The B/D is two blocks up the Concourse and the 4 is down 3 blocks and across the park.
Given your location, you would get the bus around the last stop or next to last stop before it goes into Manhattan, so it is good for that reason too. Just be sure to give yourself extra time in the morning in case there is traffic.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:

First the order of my last post was scrambled. The Community Agriculture is right in Parkchester where I would exit the subway. I was writing and sneezing non stop when I wrote it. (I'm stirring up a lot of dust because I'm packing.)

I would double check no cat policies. The coop I am moving says no pets but everyone who is selling has cats in their apartments so obviously, that it NOT true. A lot of times what is truly meant is no big dogs. I find NY much more liberal than it was even 10 years ago about those policies. Those flippin Millenials are good for something. (just kidding)

There are express buses in the area, so I have been told, but I didn't pay attention to that information because I work far downtown. Those buses go to midtown and I don't see the point in taking an Express bus in traffic (taking longer) only to have to switch and finish my ride on the subway.

About the the MetroNorth:

http://www.welcome2thebronx.com/word...ally-approved/

And the plans:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...r_van_nest.pdf

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...orris_park.pdf

I think both of these neigbhorhoods are going to be great investments specifically because of the aging Demographics, because of the new Metronorth, and because we're running out of safe places at a reasonable place in NYC. While there is so much hype about the Western Bronx, it still does not register as safe for me.

FWIW, if you look at Trulia and click on any of the apartments, the have a crime report of the general area. There are ways to manipulate Trulia to show a block or a zipcode or a neighborhood by name. The Eastern side from Parkchester up through Morris Park are all safe. I can't vouch for other areas because the housing stock was not there, or subways weren't there. I WON'T live without a subway because I have no plans to buy a car, ever.....

Last edited by roseba; 07-09-2017 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 04:39 PM

I didn't know Morris Park was getting a MetroNorth stop also.

When we interviewed at Parkchester the woman said that she has to put on the application No Pets. I thought the policy odd since my friend who lives there says cats were ok and we saw a dog within the complex. I just hate that some of the apartments are sooooo far from the train at Parkchester. BF hated it but I would take a express bus if need be.

I leave for work early now because I like avoiding the rush hour crowds.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Follow the Amtrak tracks on the map to get a good idea where the proposed stations will be. That will inform you the part of these areas that will be close to the stations. So the one in Morris park will be close to Albert Einstein school of medicine. The other will be in North Parkchester where it crosses over Van Nest. I have made an approximate map of where it will be.
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/vi...rth/8Q0z5irw5Q

I guess it depends on where you live. Same with Morris Park. As I mentioned, the apartment I looked at there was in Brady court. Beautiful complex, but a good hike from the subway.

Where I'm buying now is Archer cooperative which is 5 min from the train. So like all neigbhorhoods, it depends on where you look.

Here is the Bronx bus map. Green is express. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf

Here are rentals in the Bronx.
https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/40.8...0_price/16_zm/

Here are coops and home in the Bronx.
https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Bron...-250000_price/

I actually prefer Redfin because it tells you the maintenance too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City