Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've been all over the Bronx, and no I'm not scared, but that doesn't mean it isn't a ghetto to someone living in Scarsdale. I just hope that you understand that your standards aren't the same as others.
Why? What does it matter to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Why? What does it matter to you?
You're asking me? You created the thread.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You're asking me? You created the thread.
I'd use the exasperation emoji now but that's your thing.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
As to the OP's question, it is hard enough to find the right residence in a neighborhood you can afford with schools that you want for your kids (if applicable). What political party my neighbor(s) may/may not belong to is the least of my concerns. All I ever ask is keep your yard reasonably neat and wave hello if you know me...

Just my .02¢

Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As to the OP's question, it is hard enough to find the right residence in a neighborhood you can afford with schools that you want for your kids (if applicable). What political party my neighbor(s) may/may not belong to is the least of my concerns. All I ever ask is keep your yard reasonably neat and wave hello if you know me...

Just my .02¢
I agree. That would be the last of my concerns. I don't even know any of my neighbors now. Barely know their names much less their political leanings. As long as they're not openly hostile to me, I don't care.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

Just my .02¢
Thanks for your input. Those things are important to me too. Actually I think there has been the odd thread asking about friendliness.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I agree. That would be the last of my concerns. I don't even know any of my neighbors now. Barely know their names much less their political leanings. As long as they're not openly hostile to me, I don't care.
Thanks for your response.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I know. It's very off-putting and offensive.
In what way are they superior at all?
I guess they think they're better because they're white basically.

Quote:
It may be partially that they were isolated for so long? It's unfortunate.
It could be that too

Quote:
I'll try to explain a little more how I came to feel how I do. For some conservatives not being pc is a point of pride. I mentioned that my kids attended school in a different and more conservative neighborhood from where we live. Sometimes my daughter invited a friend over our house and I heard back "I'm not allowed because you live in the ghetto". This wasn't an isolated response and it was straight from the parents. It's just one example. I spent a lot of time with parents, and while no one looked me in the eye and said something like that to my face, there were a lot of little cuts - little remarks that I associate with a more closed-minded attitude than I want to live around. And maybe I shouldn't associate these things with political affiliation but I think there is a correlation.

Then for me, the election of DT compounded everything. I find him so offensive on so many levels. Even if only 50 percent of the neighborhood voted for Trump, that's like half the neighborhood supports or tolerates something that I find intolerable. I don't want to live around that.

Elnrgby is another case. I think your ideology is extremely important to you, and it stresses "civility" right? But you get a lot of feedback indicating that for a lot of people, being referred to as a "civilized" minority or poor person is offensive. But to make a simple change like that in your speech would be so pc--everyone else should adjust "their" reactions to suit you. And again, this is just one simple f*** word. I don't think that word is the whole issue --- like you change that word and the neighborhood is suddenly a great fit for you. I do think that ideology is part of the problem though.
That's messed up, I can't wait for those type of people to leave NYC altogether

Last edited by l1995; 01-15-2018 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
I'll try to explain a little more how I came to feel how I do. For some conservatives not being pc is a point of pride. I mentioned that my kids attended school in a different and more conservative neighborhood from where we live. Sometimes my daughter invited a friend over our house and I heard back "I'm not allowed because you live in the ghetto". This wasn't an isolated response and it was straight from the parents. It's just one example. I spent a lot of time with parents, and while no one looked me in the eye and said something like that to my face, there were a lot of little cuts - little remarks that I associate with a more closed-minded attitude than I want to live around. And maybe I shouldn't associate these things with political affiliation but I think there is a correlation.

Then for me, the election of DT compounded everything. I find him so offensive on so many levels. Even if only 50 percent of the neighborhood voted for Trump, that's like half the neighborhood supports or tolerates something that I find intolerable. I don't want to live around that.

Elnrgby is another case. I think your ideology is extremely important to you, and it stresses "civility" right? But you get a lot of feedback indicating that for a lot of people, being referred to as a "civilized" minority or poor person is offensive. But to make a simple change like that in your speech would be so pc--everyone else should adjust "their" reactions to suit you. And again, this is just one simple f*** word. I don't think that word is the whole issue --- like you change that word and the neighborhood is suddenly a great fit for you. I do think that ideology is part of the problem though.
Okay, so what word do you propose to indicate that people In Parkchester are not criminals or welfare users, that they pay condo fees/rents from their generally modest income to support the 24-hour condo assoc security crew, as well as a large-city-park level landscaping? If it is racially offensive to call this civilized (which interpretation still stumps me), then what should I call it?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay, so what word do you propose to indicate that people In Parkchester are not criminals or welfare users, that they pay condo fees/rents from their generally modest income to support the 24-hour condo assoc security crew, as well as a large-city-park level landscaping? If it is racially offensive to call this civilized (which interpretation still stumps me), then what should I call it?
That's progress, thank you elnrgby. I personally find civilized to be a very low bar. It's like - "well at least they don't knock me down and steal my groceries after I step out of the A&P". Maybe you're trying to say that they're nice people? Hard working? Kind? You may have to use more than one adjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City