Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 06:44 AM

8,338 posts, read 4,375,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Are you not aware that many, if not most, people with Section 8 apartments work?

Section 8 simply allows their rent to not exceed what is affordable according to their income. People pay a percentage of their SALARY for their Section 8 apartment; the rent is pro-rated. That's all Section 8 is.

In addition, if New York City real estate was not so inflated and exorbitant, people would not NEED programs like Section 8.

I daresay also that if New York City real estate was not so exorbitant in general, YOU would not feel the need to retire in ...Parkchester, and instead may seek another more central, more crime-free neighborhood.

It's two sides of the same coin.

Incidentally, I am retiring in Parkchester not because I can't afford Manhattan, but because I don't want to pay Manhattan prices. My priorities do not lay in home but in travel, I won't be home too much in my retirement, and I want to free up 90% of my assets for travel around the world. I do know that some Section 8 people work, but all Section 8 people who came to look into renting my Parkchester studio were non-working pseudo-disabled Section 8, so my personal sample of Section 8 was 100% non-working. If you think that my wording of problems with Section 8 is harsh, you should search the Internet for another forum (I think it might be Trulia, but I'm not entirely certain) with exchange of posts between two Parkchester renters, one self-paying and the other on Section 8, and you should see the disgusting, shameless way in which the Section 8 person is taunting the working person, telling her basically, ha-ha, I got my Section 8 so do me something if you can, who cares that you have to slog through work for your living. Section 8 is universally disliked in Parkchester, as well as the private unit owners are who still rent to Section 8. In addition to personally not wanting to have anything to do with Section 8, I think I'd be stoned by the neighbors if I rented to Section 8.

If there were no Section 8 (which pays exorbitant money to landlords), the rents in the Bronx would not be inflated.

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-16-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 07:19 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's messed up, I can't wait for those type of people to leave NYC altogether
You'll be waiting a very long time.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I don't blame you for being sensitive. It's a rude word!

I think some white people are terrified to step into a neighborhood that is not all white (I don't know much about your neighborhood and if that's the case there).

I agree, they need to grow up, get used to living in NYC and move beyond their own neighborhoods.
It's a knee-jerk reaction in a lot of people for sure.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
"Ratchet" is commonly used slang among young people of all races

For some reason I don't think that etymology is true but I could be wrong of course
It might be the correct etymology - there was a discussion on the writers forum re. people mishearing the word "wretched" and substituting the more common "ratchet" (common among those who use tools at least)

Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 AM

So, I want to tell another story. I like the blues a lot, and have a lot of music and documentary material on the subject. Among other things, I have a DVD with a documentary about relatively contemporary Mississippi bluesmen recording for the modern-blues&related music label Fat Possum. The majority of the artists were old and black, while the boys who own the label are young and white. I think the name of the documentary is "M is for Mississippi", but I'm not entirely sure since I have practically every available blues documentary DVD, and I'm not fully sure what I saw where (I'm away from home working in a different state right now, so I can't check). So. there was a relatively recently deceased very famous (among blues aficionados) bluesman from MS being filmed while discussing a touring matter with the Possum business boys. The boys are trying to get the bluesman to have a medical exam and a doctor's certificate that he is fit to fly to Denver and give three concerts, the usual touring requirement for paying musicians' travel insurance. The boys are guaranteeing to pay the bluesman the minimum of $30,000 for these three nights, but probably much more based upon the expected ticket sales. But the bluesman adamantly does not want to get the medical certificate because he might lose his monthly disability check, which is around $600...

I happened to work a fair bit in his part of the US (I don't any longer because I can't stomach it any more, with or without the blues), and you see regularly four generations of a family on Medicaid, food stamps, and every other type of welfare support available, the entire towns living that way. Employment is an unknown condition. Losing welfare, in an unfortunate case of obtaining a job, is regarded as an unfathomable calamity. I fully understand why the famous bluesman would not pursue touring (which would bring him substantial earnings), due to his concern of losing a few pennies in welfare support - the welfare system conditions people to think that way, and the only imaginable life becomes the life of handouts.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Quote:
That's messed up, I can't wait for those type of people to leave NYC altogether
Do you have kids yourself? I wouldn't allow my kids to go hangout in Brownsville or ENY. I'd even be hesitant to let them hangout in certain parts of Bushwick or Bed-Stuy. It would mostly depend on who the other parents are.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So, I want to tell another story. I like the blues a lot, and have a lot of music and documentary material on the subject. Among other things, I have a DVD with a documentary about relatively contemporary Mississippi bluesmen recording for the modern-blues&related music label Fat Possum. The majority of the artists were old and black, while the boys who own the label are young and white. I think the name of the documentary is "M is for Mississippi", but I'm not entirely sure since I have practically every available blues documentary DVD, and I'm not fully sure what I saw where (I'm away from home working in a different state right now, so I can't check). So. there was a relatively recently deceased very famous (among blues aficionados) bluesman from MS being filmed while discussing a touring matter with the Possum business boys. The boys are trying to get the bluesman to have a medical exam and a doctor's certificate that he is fit to fly to Denver and give three concerts, the usual touring requirement for paying musicians' travel insurance. The boys are guaranteeing to pay the bluesman the minimum of $30,000 for these three nights, but probably much more based upon the expected ticket sales. But the bluesman adamantly does not want to get the medical certificate because he might lose his monthly disability check, which is around $600...

I happened to work a fair bit in his part of the US (I don't any longer because I can't stomach it any more, with or without the blues), and you see regularly four generations of a family on Medicaid, food stamps, and every other type of welfare support available, the entire towns living that way. Employment is an unknown condition. Losing welfare, in an unfortunate case of obtaining a job, is regarded as an unfathomable calamity. I fully understand why the famous bluesman would not pursue touring (which would bring him substantial earnings), due to his concern of losing a few pennies in welfare support - the welfare system conditions people to think that way, and the only imaginable life becomes the life of handouts.
Elnrgby: with all due respect (ha ha Henna ) you are a woman obsessed. You are like a faucet that won't turn off! The relevance that I can see to this particular subject is that you should not be living in an area with any chance of people as neighbors who have some type of housing subsidy, living on disability etcetera etcetera... In Parkchester, you just won't know your neighbor's source of income, whether or not they have section 8 or some other thing, and I think it will drive you nuts!!! Why torture yourself? Life is too short.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Elnrgby: with all due respect (ha ha Henna ) you are a woman obsessed. You are like a faucet that won't turn off! The relevance that I can see to this particular subject is that you should not be living in an area with any chance of people as neighbors who have some type of housing subsidy, living on disability etcetera etcetera... In Parkchester, you just won't know your neighbor's source of income, whether or not they have section 8 or some other thing, and I think it will drive you nuts!!! Why torture yourself? Life is too short.
No, no, really, I am actually not all that obsessed :-). It only seems so, because Parkchester is pretty much the only thing that I discuss on this forum (except for an occasional rare other subject on which I make a casual comment if it captures a minute of my interest while I am looking up Parkchester :-). The thing is that I discuss all my other interests with personal friends, so don't' have much or any need to discuss them here... but I don't have any personal friends who know anything about Parkchester. I don't have a need to discuss the safety of Kathmandu, Nepal here because I know from personal experience (having studied it in detail while stopping there on my way to climbing in the Himalayas) that Kathmandu is a very safe and amazing city that everybody should visit (it is also extremely inexpensive, the cost of living is a small fraction of the Bronx). It is on my alternative list of retirement cities if Parkchester doesn't work out (the chief downside would be moving, I couldn't get my thousands of books from Massachusetts to Kathmandu very easily or inexpensively).

Old 01-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, no, really, I am actually not all that obsessed :-). It only seems so, because Parkchester is pretty much the only thing that I discuss on this forum (except for an occasional rare other subject on which I make a casual comment if it captures a minute of my interest while I am looking up Parkchester :-). The thing is that I discuss all my other interests with personal friends, so don't' have much or any need to discuss them here... but I don't have any personal friends who know anything about Parkchester. I don't have a need to discuss the safety of Kathmandu, Nepal here because I know from personal experience (having studied it in detail while stopping there on my way to climbing in the Himalayas) that Kathmandu is a very safe and amazing city that everybody should visit (it is also extremely inexpensive, the cost of living is a small fraction of the Bronx). It is on my alternative list of retirement cities if Parkchester doesn't work out (the chief downside would be moving, I couldn't get my thousands of books from Massachusetts to Kathmandu very easily or inexpensively).
I was referring to your obsession with section 8, welfare, disability (not Parkchester).

Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Elnrgby: with all due respect (ha ha Henna ) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City