Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 10:39 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I was referring to your obsession with section 8, welfare, disability (not Parkchester).
Oh, I'm not obsessed with that either, I actually normally never discuss politics in person (people in my profession and my personal friends tend to have some close variant of my own opinion, so there is no reason to discuss it). It tends to naturally creep into a discussion about Parkchester, though. I ask about opinions about crime trends, people immediately attack me for being racist because I am asking about crime (?!), I explain it is not a matter of race but a matter of crime, then they tell me no you're lying it's a matter of race, then things inevitably go in the direction of political opinions :-). I am just a detail-oriented person by nature (if you knew me personally, you would know that I talk at the maximum speed a human being can talk and still breathe, and I pack million pieces of info in every sentence), so no, politics is not my special obsession - if you asked me what I thought about cucumbers, I would also give you 300 posts (did you, eg, know that they are a fruit in the same group as watermelon, and are packed with healthy micronutrients (like fisetin which may protect against Alzheimer's and cucurbitin which inhibits growth of certain cancer cells etc), only you have to eat only organic ones, because the others, like anything that is grown in/close to the ground, are heavily contaminated with insecticides?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Oh, I'm not obsessed with that either, I actually normally never discuss politics in person (people in my profession and my personal friends tend to have some close variant of my own opinion, so there is no reason to discuss it). It tends to naturally creep into a discussion about Parkchester, though. I ask about opinions about crime trends, people immediately attack me for being racist because I am asking about crime (?!), I explain it is not a matter of race but a matter of crime, then they tell me no you're lying it's a matter of race, then things inevitably go in the direction of political opinions :-). I am just a detail-oriented person by nature (if you knew me personally, you would know that I talk at the maximum speed a human being can talk and still breathe, and I pack million pieces of info in every sentence), so no, politics is not my special obsession - if you asked me what I thought about cucumbers, I would also give you 300 posts (did you, eg, know that they are a fruit in the same group as watermelon, and are packed with healthy micronutrients (like fisetin which may protect against Alzheimer's and cucurbitin which inhibits growth of certain cancer cells etc), only you have to eat only organic ones, because the others, like anything that is grown in/close to the ground, are heavily contaminated with insecticides?).
Well you fooled me elnrgby.

Yes but an excessive fear of crime in areas with relatively low numbers of pale faces is a thing. I'm not saying it's your thing, but it exists. (And no one ever admits to it themselves)

PS I won't be making any threads about cucumbers any time soon.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
You'll be waiting a very long time.
Not really in my opinion, look how quickly those people left places like Bensonhurst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It might be the correct etymology - there was a discussion on the writers forum re. people mishearing the word "wretched" and substituting the more common "ratchet" (common among those who use tools at least)
But "ratchet"'s meaning isn't even that similar to "wretched".

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Do you have kids yourself? I wouldn't allow my kids to go hangout in Brownsville or ENY. I'd even be hesitant to let them hangout in certain parts of Bushwick or Bed-Stuy. It would mostly depend on who the other parents are.
She doesn't live somewhere like Brownsville. And even then, a supervised playdate is fine, it's not like they're wandering around Pitkin Ave by themselves.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I wouldn't consider political leanings when shopping for a neighborhood in NYC, but I do think along those lines when searching for a retirement spot out of state.

First off, I think Trump is a special case. He's so polarizing. When someone says he or she is a Trump supporter, that raises all kinds of issues. Nixon was certainly a piece of work, but years ago if you said you were a Nixon supporter in a liberal area, you might have gotten some dirty looks, but you would have been spared the opprobrium that Trump supporters are being treated to today.

I am a born and bred New Yorker, and I lean liberal. I also like to read "best places to retire" articles. Some of the locations sound nice, and they're certainly cheaper than New York City, and the thought of a nice house or apartment is appealing. But if they are located in red states, I hesitate. I don't want to be surrounded by people with conservative viewpoints, especially in the charged climate we are living in now.

This exactly. If you are from a place, politics are not a consideration. When you are relocating, it is.

Trump is a special case. He's from NYC and he has is not well liked there before he became president.
His father was sued by the Nixon administration for housing discrimination and was a former Klansman. The Trump family is not well liked in NY.

I'm originally from the NYC area, and some places where Trump is popular are Staten Island and some working class areas of Suffolk county, Long Island.

But yes, Trump is polarizing, and a "special case".

Last edited by sheena12; 01-16-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 12:00 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Well you fooled me elnrgby.

Yes but an excessive fear of crime in areas with relatively low numbers of pale faces is a thing. I'm not saying it's your thing, but it exists. (And no one ever admits to it themselves)

PS I won't be making any threads about cucumbers any time soon.
What, no cucumbers? Well, that's disappointing - no wonder there is so much Alzheimer's, cancer and obesity if nobody is interested in cucumbers....... ... Anyway, in Boston, at the top of Charles St (opposite side from Boston Common, towards the hospital), there is an ice cream shop that carries cucumber ice cream, at least in the summer, I don't know about right now in January. It is very good, if anybody goes to Boston. But fresh organic cucumbers are the best for your health.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:03 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
She doesn't live somewhere like Brownsville. And even then, a supervised playdate is fine, it's not like they're wandering around Pitkin Ave by themselves.
Well, my kids won't be having any playdates in Brownsville, that's for sure. And I ain't moving out of this city anytime soon. ALL responsible parents would agree with me.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:11 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not really in my opinion, look how quickly those people left places like Bensonhurst.
If by "those" people you mean Italians, they left by choice. They were not pushed out. Bensonhurst was always just a middle class neighborhood. Over time, Italians moved up and wanted more so they left. The ones that wanted to stay in Brooklyn simply moved to Dyker Heights or Bay Ridge for more space.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Well, my kids won't be having any playdates in Brownsville, that's for sure. And I ain't moving out of this city anytime soon. ALL responsible parents would agree with me.
Duly noted g-dale.

Why do you assume my neighborhood is like Brownsville? (I have never even been there.)

Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Duly noted g-dale.

Why do you assume my neighborhood is like Brownsville? (I have never even been there.)
When you say ghetto, Brownsville is the first neighborhood that comes to mind. I didn't catch what neighborhood you actually do live in, but in general, working class parents and above typically don't want their kids hanging out in the ghetto. And not just Brownsville, many neighborhoods would be on my kids 'no playdate' list.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
When you say ghetto, Brownsville is the first neighborhood that comes to mind. I didn't catch what neighborhood you actually do live in, but in general, working class parents and above typically don't want their kids hanging out in the ghetto. And not just Brownsville, many neighborhoods would be on my kids 'no playdate' list.
It's Bedford Park and my point was that people were being irrational. I do think the term was used to refer to a lack of paleness--white people are a minority but not unusual. A lot of people speak Spanish. It's not a dangerous neighborhood but my kids went to school in an area with different demographics and I think that people felt out of their element which exaggerated their fear.

Last edited by yodel; 01-16-2018 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City