Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm absolutely not trolling. It is the truth.
Trump's shi*hole comment is pertinent here because?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Trump's shi*hole comment is pertinent here because?
Because these countries still have extremely undeveloped economies. They do not even have something as civilized as P&C insurance. So when a storm or draught hits they basically become sh!tholes. It is unfortunate, but I'm still hopeful that their time for development will eventually come. That is if you don't drain them of all their human capital first.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
What is the opposite of civilized according to your understanding? Please find a word other than uncivilized.
There is a hip hop slang word with which one of my Parkchester neighbors (a very "cool" young woman of African race) expressed her distaste for Section 8 customers: ratchet. The word is apparently "wretched" pronounced in a dialect of Louisiana. So, this "ratchet" would be opposite of civilized. I'm sure there is a hip hop Louisiana word equivalent to "civilized" as well, but I don't know what it is :-).

Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
There is a hip hop slang word with which one of my Parkchester neighbors (a very "cool" young woman of African race) expressed her distaste for Section 8 customers: ratchet. The word is apparently "wretched" pronounced in a dialect of Louisiana. So, this "ratchet" would be opposite of civilized. I'm sure there is a hip hop Louisiana word equivalent to "civilized" as well, but I don't know what it is :-).
"Ratchet" is commonly used slang among young people of all races

For some reason I don't think that etymology is true but I could be wrong of course

Old 01-15-2018, 06:33 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Is that what people are insisting?
Seems so. The reality of civilized and uncivilized people existing should be beyond question.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Seems so. The reality of civilized and uncivilized people existing should be beyond question.
We're talking about different things. I'm not discussing whether or not uncivilized people exist in the world (maybe you're referencing a comment I missed?).

Last edited by yodel; 01-15-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,079 times
Quote:
So people on section 8 are ratchet/wretched/uncivilized while people who can pay for housing out of their own earnings or assets are civilized? Seems like something is missing here.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:02 PM

556 posts, read 622,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I wouldn't consider political leanings when shopping for a neighborhood in NYC, but I do think along those lines when searching for a retirement spot out of state.

First off, I think Trump is a special case. He's so polarizing. When someone says he or she is a Trump supporter, that raises all kinds of issues. Nixon was certainly a piece of work, but years ago if you said you were a Nixon supporter in a liberal area, you might have gotten some dirty looks, but you would have been spared the opprobrium that Trump supporters are being treated to today.

I am a born and bred New Yorker, and I lean liberal. I also like to read "best places to retire" articles. Some of the locations sound nice, and they're certainly cheaper than New York City, and the thought of a nice house or apartment is appealing. But if they are located in red states, I hesitate. I don't want to be surrounded by people with conservative viewpoints, especially in the charged climate we are living in now.
I’m sorry to say that you sound like a typical liberal. You preach diversity but only when it fits you definition.
It sound like you would rather live with almost anyone except someone that has different political views.
Your prejudice and stereotypical views preclude you from an objective view of a majority of good Americans.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
So people on section 8 are ratchet/wretched/uncivilized while people who can pay for housing out of their own earnings or assets are civilized? Seems like something is missing here.
Generally, yes. The correlation is of course not 1.0, but it is very strong (source: (a) having been very poor myself for extended time when I was young, and therefore living among the poor; (b) later, extensive personal experience in providing certain services to underprivileged populations). The attitude of a huge majority of welfare recipients is that they have a natural right to everything, and if you don't give it to them, they'll take it by force. The responsible/civilized poor see Section 8 people as a plague. There is a tremendous difference in mental setup between a poor person in a miserable job, washing toilets or flipping hamburgers, who is paying all his/her own bills from a miserable income, and a person lounging on the couch in a Section 8 apartment and watching TV all day. If liberals actually lived in the poverty universe, they would know that.

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-16-2018 at 03:06 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 06:02 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Generally, yes. The correlation is of course not 1.0, but it is very strong (source: (a) having been very poor myself for extended time when I was young, and therefore living among the poor; (b) later, extensive personal experience in providing certain services to underprivileged populations). The attitude of a huge majority of welfare recipients is that they have a natural right to everything, and if you don't give it to them, they'll take it by force. The responsible/civilized poor see Section 8 people as a plague. There is a tremendous difference in mental setup between a poor person in a miserable job, washing toilets or flipping hamburgers, who is paying all his/her own bills from a miserable income, and a person lounging on the couch in a Section 8 apartment and watching TV all day.
Are you not aware that many, if not most, people with Section 8 apartments work?

Section 8 simply allows their rent to not exceed what is affordable according to their income. People pay a percentage of their SALARY for their Section 8 apartment; the rent is pro-rated. That's all Section 8 is.

In addition, if New York City real estate was not so inflated and exorbitant, people would not NEED programs like Section 8.

I daresay also that if New York City real estate was not so exorbitant in general, YOU would not feel the need to retire in ...Parkchester, and instead may seek another more central, more crime-free neighborhood.

It's two sides of the same coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City