Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 08:42 AM

1,566 posts, read 905,811 times

Advertisements

My choice would be CDMX or Guadalajara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Why Guadalajara? I've never been.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
I'm sure I'll love DF when I visit later this year. Guadalajara is on my list of travels also.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why Guadalajara? I've never been.
GDL is the second largest city. Birthplace of Mariachi and Tequila. It's considered the most culturally Mexican of all cities. The people are cool and the climate is perfect. They have a lot to offer. The food there of course is spectacular. It's a very diverse place. A gringo will be approached as though he is a native until he starts to speak broken accented spanish. There are mountains, lakes, and a nice drive takes you to the Pacific coast.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:15 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
How's Mexico if you decide to bypass Passport control, ignore their laws and demand free stuff?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:43 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
How's Mexico if you decide to bypass Passport control, ignore their laws and demand free stuff?
You'd probably have to work in the service industry and constantly run the risk of deportation. I think a lot of people who claim they're going to move to Canada or Mexico from here are probably either thinking of doing it legally, though possibly under request for asylum? I remember reading a news article about someone trying for that going from here to Canada, though I don't remember what the outcome was.

I think you were originally asking why people say they're moving to Canada, but not Mexico. I believe that question was answered and it's basically because it's not quite true in regards to who is actually moving where since more move to Mexico than Canada and that the language barrier is a real consideration.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you're talking about creating mass-produced technologies for removing CO2 directly, is that right? I think that's fine and a carbon tax of sorts is an alright way to go about it. There's some promising research on ways to efficiently remove CO2 directly, but nothing quite proven out on a production scale aside from the obvious like plant trees. Right now, the US is having a difficult time with the dialogue of even reducing CO2 emissions (and for those machines to work, you need to remove faster or as fast as you emit, so you're likely going to need to reduce CO2 emissions to a large extent as well) or agreement that it's a goal at all.

The problem with a carbon tax is that it will hit consumers directly. You need to drive large companies to innovate, not punishing mom and dad taking their Ford Explorer to the store.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:40 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
The problem with a carbon tax is that it will hit consumers directly. You need to drive large companies to innovate, not punishing mom and dad taking their Ford Explorer to the store.
Free market, though. If you make the cost of owning that Explorer too high, people will stop buying them and look for something more affordable with less emissions. As that market expands, car manufacturers will see that the money is there and not in the Explorer-style market. In order to draw buyers back into that market, they'll have to reinvent that sector of the auto market.

While I don't agree that everything should be dictated by free market capitalism alone, you have to look at the other side of capitalism. If you argue that the free market is able to adapt so freely, then why can't it adapt to people being priced out of owning an Explorer?

Old 08-06-2019, 12:50 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Good luck with that. Isn't Guadalajara a nexus of the drug wars down there?

Quote:

Old 08-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Good luck with that. Isn't Guadalajara a nexus of the drug wars down there?
In a sense, yes. It's where a lot of the major players are from. But day to day life in the city of Guadalajara is vastly safer than life in some of the border towns and outlying rural badlands where the trafficking actually happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City