Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 03:30 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

I'm merely asking because feel as if am the only eegit who bothers.

Last night went to catch the "Q" at 33rd, and it was hot and moist as heck. This plus due to some issues at deKalb, the Q, N, and R trains were all backed up. So decided to wait up by the turnstiles where it was a bit cooler.

This was around 11PM or so and one after another every one and their mother jumped over, went under turnstiles. That and or got some one to open a gate.

Old people, middle aged people, Asians, blacks, whites, males, females, young people, the lot. Every other person just didn't pay their fare.

A group of young sort of clean cut white dudes came down, every GD one of them vaulted over the turnstile.

Train didn't arrive for over twenty minutes an in that time think only a handful of people actually paid their fare. Ironically the Latino/Hispanic (mostly the guys getting off work in area) virtually all paid their fare.

An older gentleman who paid his fare but was standing on other side of turnstiles watching this unfold was stunned. He called out to some middle aged woman who ducked under the turnstiles "pay your fare!", she gave him some BS about "I paid already.......".

Not a GD Port Authority or MTA cop around. No wonder the system is losing money.

Meanwhile when going down town earlier some Indian woman was trying to figure out how to get downtown into Brooklyn since Q had service changes due to track work. A few guys were trying to explain and once she was satisfied went through the turnstile, only her MC had no money. So one of the guys went back and opened the gate.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM

54 posts, read 29,600 times
That's one way of giving the finger to the MTA. Don't worry you're not the only one, I still pay my fares as well. Thank God though I haven't had to use the trains like I used to before we had a car, it sounds like service has gotten way worse for many folks to resort to this behavior.

I had thought about going under the turnstiles and even going thru the door with my stroller without paying, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Too chicken I'd be the one to get fined.

On all the SBS I've been on I never saw any officer requesting for bus receipts, this seems to be falling through the cracks as well.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:16 PM

54 posts, read 29,600 times
Other ways people are giving the finger to the MTA:

3 MTA conductors spit on in 3 separate incidents in Bronx and Br

Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I pay! Happily, too! I wish they’d pull a London and jack up prices at sticker level, but issue discounted fare for NYC and maybe tri-state region residents.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:12 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,763,660 times
Me! I pay. I believe in Karma. Can't control what other people do. What goes around usually comes around... eventually.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:29 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
this is the norm. especially in the Bronx

Old 07-24-2019, 05:57 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
The vast majority of people pay, but it is pretty common for people to exit through the emergency exits

Old 07-24-2019, 06:05 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
I pay, I switch between the monthly and pay per ride depending upon what my month entails.

Although I will be honest, one time I got on the bus without swiping. The line to get in the front was so packed I knew I might not make it so I followed a group to the back and got in through the back door. What I observed thought is if you get on in the back, you often get a seat. You get on in the front no seat and you pay....seems so wrong.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:05 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I've never seen that happening (although, okay, I don't take subways that often).

But, really, it's the natural consequence of making fare so expensive.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:14 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've never seen that happening (although, okay, I don't take subways that often).

But, really, it's the natural consequence of making fare so expensive.

Three bucks is "expensive"?

Not a GD person one saw last night looked anywhere near busted or broke. They all had phones, were well enough dressed and otherwise looked as if three bucks wasn't going to put them in the poor house.

People crack me up with that response. Everything in this city is expensive, that doesn't give anyone the right to steal.

This is where have to give props to all those illegal or whatever Mexicans/South Americans or whatever. Every night you see them walking up Third, Second or other UES avenues to get home in Harlem rather than pay bus/train fare (if they cannot afford). That or they ride bikes.

Yeah, some do evade paying fares, but overall people I see doing this are anything but Latino/Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: