Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Blame the transplants for not wanting to commute, that's your problem

They need to live within a half hour of everything so that they can get hammered after work, why do you think they're choosing the South Bronx over Riverdale

There's no neighborhood that is a hour commute or more from the Financial District or Midtown that has gentrified, come on, pierrepont, you of all people should know better
My point is the rents should NOT be similar in areas like Forest Hills compared to parts of Far Rockaway, and I'm not talking about Belle Harbor or Neponsit either. That's the problem. Forest Hills by comparison has far more amenities and better transportation to get to say Manhattan. LIRR, subway, express buses, etc. Then there is Austin Street and the other walkable areas... Good housing stock right over in Forest Hills Gardens and on the other side of Queens Blvd.

That said, areas like Riverdale and Forest Hills have always been established, so they don't need to gentrify, but look at how the prices are shooting up in areas being gentrified and it's crazy. Same thing in Brooklyn. The nice areas like Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, etc. The prices are more expensive than Manhattan in some cases. If the transit was better and you could see something for what you were spending then it would make sense, but it's not as if the housing stock has improved considerably. Some of the new construction ("luxury rentals") is absolute garbage, and then there are the people paying $3k a month having to share a building with people on housing programs. No way would I ever put up with that. That's why buying is a must for me in the near future.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
Part of the problem is you don’t need to be in large coastal cities in the northeast/west coast to make good wages any more. Wages in places like metros of Texas, Florida and North Carolina have largely caught up to wages in the north east adjusted for inflation, in some places nominally, except their tax burden is 20-40% less on average. The standard of living for an average middle class working person who doesn’t use many social services is just so much better there. They can afford cars, property, large families, etc. Often times you can just work remotely for a company based in NYC or Solicon Valley in these low cost areas and live like a king.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM

34,102 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My point is the rents should NOT be similar in areas like Forest Hills compared to parts of Far Rockaway, and I'm not talking about Belle Harbor or Neponsit either. That's the problem. Forest Hills by comparison has far more amenities and better transportation to get to say Manhattan. LIRR, subway, express buses, etc. Then there is Austin Street and the other walkable areas... Good housing stock right over in Forest Hills Gardens and on the other side of Queens Blvd.

That said, areas like Riverdale and Forest Hills have always been established, so they don't need to gentrify, but look at how the prices are shooting up in areas being gentrified and it's crazy. Same thing in Brooklyn. The nice areas like Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, etc. The prices are more expensive than Manhattan in some cases. If the transit was better and you could see something for what you were spending then it would make sense, but it's not as if the housing stock has improved considerably. Some of the new construction ("luxury rentals") is absolute garbage, and then there are the people paying $3k a month having to share a building with people on housing programs. No way would I ever put up with that. That's why buying is a must for me in the near future.
I get your point, but I am telling you why it is the way it is

Majority of people who moved to NYC in the past 15 years live a 20 minute train ride from Manhattan

They're not moving all over the city

I've personally met exactly one transplant who moved to the Bronx and this was in the mid 2000s.

All the transplants move to Brooklyn or Queens, as close as they can get to Manhattan

Hell some of them won't even touch Forest Hills because its too far, although its a nice neighborhood

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-04-2019 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I get your point, but I am telling you why it is the way it is

Majority of people who moved to NYC in the past 15 years live a 20 minute train ride from Manhattan

They're not moving all over the city

I've personally met exactly one transplant who moved to the Bronx and this was in the mid 2000s.

All the transplants move to Brooklyn or Queens, as close as they can get to Manhattan

Hell some of them won't even touch Forest Hills because its too far, although its a nice neighborhood
Maybe they aren't but you can't tell me that prices in Far Rockaway aren't going up. They've went up considerably. They wouldn't be if no one was moving there. Doesn't have to be transplants, but people ARE moving there.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:21 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
You should apologize to the entire board for buying property in what amounts to nothing more than a high-class housing project in the poorest borough in NYC and expecting harmony.

Don’t get mad because you made an uniformed purchase.

You should have bought in Midwood. Even Riverdale would have been better.

To which board should I apologize? Apologize for buying whatever I want to buy, with my own money? Parkchester is in no way a project (in fact, the managing company is being sued - hopefully unsucessfully - for not accepting subsidized tenants), and I am quite happy with Parkchester as a place to stay cheaply in NYC.

An uniformed purchase? No, I wasn't wearing a uniform while purchasing in Parkchester.

Midwood?? Riverdale? Why, because they are "homogeneous"? I would never buy there, I don't need homogeneous - you are the one who apparently does (if the word "homogeneous" is used correctly). I just need cheap, because NYC is not my only or primary home.

The purchase in Parkchester was and still is the best possible option for me. Harmony DOES prevail in Parkchester Condo complex (unlike in the Bronx in general, including the next block from the condo complex), and that condo complex is the only place in NYC that is both cheap and safe. I needed a point from which I could cheaply and safely figure out whether I want to live in NYC, and figure that out without major commitment (the cost of purchase and maintenance in Parkchester is a very small commitment for me).

What I am seeing is that NYC has largely lost elements that were meaningful to me, and is moving in a direction which I consider negative. I will wander around for a few more years and explore the old NYC architecture (because I don't need to sell the place right now), and after that adios.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Part of the problem is you don’t need to be in large coastal cities in the northeast/west coast to make good wages any more. Wages in places like metros of Texas, Florida and North Carolina have largely caught up to wages in the north east adjusted for inflation, in some places nominally, except their tax burden is 20-40% less on average. The standard of living for an average middle class working person who doesn’t use many social services is just so much better there. They can afford cars, property, large families, etc. Often times you can just work remotely for a company based in NYC or Solicon Valley in these low cost areas and live like a king.
This is somewhat true, but to put this into perspective, the Average Annual Pay in the Albany area is higher than any area in those states. Same with Ithaca. I believe Syracuse and Rochester is on par or higher than most in those states too. So, we can’t look at the Northeast in a general sense when comparing, as parts of NY State have an overall cost of living on par and some cases, lower than areas in those states.

Source: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

Old 09-04-2019, 12:37 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:

Buying is a must for anyone who expects to live in the same place for 7-8 years, in NYC or anywhere. Rentals have a built-in fee for temporary use of someone else's property. Why would you pay that, if you can buy and control your own place?

Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Buying is a must for anyone who expects to live in the same place for 7-8 years, in NYC or anywhere. Rentals have a built-in fee for temporary use of someone else's property. Why would you pay that, if you can buy and control your own place?
I agree, but at the same time, many young people my age cannot afford to purchase because they are burdened with student loan debt and other financial obligations.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe they aren't but you can't tell me that prices in Far Rockaway aren't going up. They've went up considerably. They wouldn't be if no one was moving there. Doesn't have to be transplants, but people ARE moving there.
They have gone up, but I don't know at what rate they're being rented out

Old 09-04-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
To which board should I apologize? Apologize for buying whatever I want to buy, with my own money? Parkchester is in no way a project (in fact, the managing company is being sued - hopefully unsucessfully - for not accepting subsidized tenants), and I am quite happy with Parkchester as a place to stay cheaply in NYC.

An uniformed purchase? No, I wasn't wearing a uniform while purchasing in Parkchester.

Midwood?? Riverdale? Why, because they are "homogeneous"? I would never buy there, I don't need homogeneous - you are the one who apparently does (if the word "homogeneous" is used correctly). I just need cheap, because NYC is not my only or primary home.

The purchase in Parkchester was and still is the best possible option for me. Harmony DOES prevail in Parkchester Condo complex (unlike in the Bronx in general, including the next block from the condo complex), and that condo complex is the only place in NYC that is both cheap and safe. I needed a point from which I could cheaply and safely figure out whether I want to live in NYC, and figure that out without major commitment (the cost of purchase and maintenance in Parkchester is a very small commitment for me).

What I am seeing is that NYC has largely lost elements that were meaningful to me, and is moving in a direction which I consider negative. I will wander around for a few more years and explore the old NYC architecture (because I don't need to sell the place right now), and after that adios.
You keep fooling yourself if you want to, it makes no difference to me - you own property in a high-class housing project in the poorest borough in NYC and have the audacity to ask people about the Taylor Avenue Crew? Duhhh.

My last comment to you regarding anything - have you ever wondered why that Chinese restaurant on Starling Avenue has no tables or chairs to sit in? Smh.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City