Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 06:46 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay, so I am a 60 year old woman who lives a very active solo life, traveling constantly (when there is no covid), very healthy so far, etc... but having worked in healthcare, I know sudden things happen (like accidents and other sudden health emergencies) where a person like me could potentially need to let family know immediately if I am in trouble, and where I am. I have a personal GPS a little bigger than the size of a thumbnail, with a panic button and capability for a few additional messages, and I can be located anywhere in the world with the precision within about 25 feet (always, no matter where I am or what I do, whether I do or don't press the panic button, I don't need to do anything in order to be tracked). It cost $80, no monthly subscription needed. Huge numbers of seniors have these devices. Mine is simple and cheap, yet hugely effective - imagine what kind of technology people wear if they are actually worth kidnapping :-).

It is very difficult to kidnap somebody for ransom in the US, and particularly forget that plan if you want to kidnap someone who is wired up. Unless your hungry kidnappers want to be killed in a police raid, tell them to stay in school, get an occupation, not have teenage pregnancies that produce hungry kids in the first place, and nobody will be hungry. It is nearly impossible to be hungry in the US, except by choice.
You are the Parkchester grandmother whose parents are from Ukraine right....

Please you're living in a dream land...

I am Pro-choice so you're preaching to the choir on that point.

Keep playing around the kids will rough you up smash the device leave it in an abandoned alley and take you to a safe house and demand $$$$ from your relatives for your safe release (if you're lucky)

Let's be real, you're an old White Woman you have no idea the mentality of Gen Z Black, Arab and Latino teens. Have you ever spent a night in the hood in your life or spoken extensively to non-White non-Condominium owners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:10 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Not necessarily. This is a subsection of Mott Haven, enclaved between the Harlem river and the Major Deagan. And development is not a new thing to the area, many people have already moved in from other States in the past few years (hipster/yuppie type) and new stores and restaurants have been opening. It is also happening North of the Major Deagan. They are trying to do what they did in Harlem.
I know it is the South Bronx and there are many projects and low income buildings around, but the South Bronx (or 15th district) is really big and this is not the worst area in terms of safety.
I would be more worried for new occupants if this was happening further North, in Highbridge, Mount Eden, Mount Hope, and even worse, Tremont and West Farms (the energy of these areas itself is creepy and it is very densely populated and unclean, with all types of shady characters). Now it may happen don’t get me wrong, but look, they managed to gentrify Bed Stuy and Fort Greene where nobody was safe two to three decades ago, and it has now been turned into diverse income areas.
Everybody used to say realtors were insane when the same started happening in Harlem and Brooklyn. Even Williamsburg, there was a time you would only go there for drugs and prostitutes and nobody could have ever imagined it turning the way it has now.
It is a sparsely populated area, walking distance for young thugs to do dirt with less cameras, bystanders around.

Do you realize with COVID gentrification has been pushed back by 10 years or more? The economy is going to be bad and young Men will resort to crime especially in the current political environment.

A lot of you are White and potentially B&T crowd so many of you just don't get it. I have had family in Sedgwick projects, Marcy houses etc.

The mentality is "We gonna get it by any means necessary"

As a Black Man in corporate America I know these kids don't stand a chance at any kind of six figure job. The economic doors have been closing for decades now but people (especially privileged White people) have blinders on.

I think it's funny that a lot of these same White people would never enter certain trailer parks but somehow feel perfectly comfortable in the ghetto. This is why Trump won unfortunately. The delusion of liberal or left leaning Whites on poverty and how it should be addressed.

The first step is to respect the reality and understand the resources that the other person has. If you're there to do community service or accompanied by local officials that's one thing but coming in as a gentrifier believing DeBlasio will keep you from getting hit by a stray bullet is delusional.

Keep playing the lotto and you're number is going to come up. And not in the way you want.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:39 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

Keep playing around the kids will rough you up smash the device leave it in an abandoned alley and take you to a safe house and demand $$$$ from your relatives for your safe release (if you're lucky)

Let's be real, you're an old White Woman you have no idea the mentality of Gen Z Black, Arab and Latino teens. Have you ever spent a night in the hood in your life or spoken extensively to non-White non-Condominium owners?
I forgot when you ignore someone you can still see their comment when someone else quotes it.
I lol'ed so hard when I realized they were promoting a bootleg Life Alert. "Help ive fallen and i cant get up" was the first thing hat came to my mind

Quote:
It is a sparsely populated area, walking distance for young thugs to do dirt with less cameras, bystanders around.

Do you realize with COVID gentrification has been pushed back by 10 years or more? The economy is going to be bad and young Men will resort to crime especially in the current political environment.

A lot of you are White and potentially B&T crowd so many of you just don't get it. I have had family in Sedgwick projects, Marcy houses etc.

As a Black Man in corporate America I know these kids don't stand a chance at any kind of six figure job. The economic doors have been closing for decades now but people (especially privileged White people) have blinders on.

I think it's funny that a lot of these same White people would never enter certain trailer parks but somehow feel perfectly comfortable in the ghetto. This is why Trump won unfortunately. The delusion of liberal or left leaning Whites on poverty and how it should be addressed.

The first step is to respect the reality and understand the resources that the other person has. If you're there to do community service or accompanied by local officials that's one thing but coming in as a gentrifier believing DeBlasio will keep you from getting hit by a stray bullet is delusional.

Keep playing the lotto and you're number is going to come up. And not in the way you want.
Wow... weigh their options trailer park vs projects wonder which one have more drugs and guns

Old 10-12-2020, 09:24 AM

1,399 posts, read 890,790 times
Trailer parks and projects are equally disgusting, full of equal lazy low class give me criminal people. Society's losers on full display. Not all, but most. I feel for those stuck who aren't like those with who they are stuck with. Get those people out and nuke the rest.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:40 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I think one question is to what level can rent prices be brought down and still be profitable for landlords overall versus to what people are able and willing to pay for what's there. I don't think it's crazy to assume that the prices pegged on this and similar developments in the general area were a bit aspirational and that isn't the level they need to be at in order for landlords to make a profit on such. $2200 for a tiny studio there? Yea, that's a hard sell with other places dropping their prices, but would something like $1650 brin someone in (which is like the effective rent for when some of the newer developments initially wrap in three months of rent for a one-year lease rather than drop the sticker price and isn't unheard of)? Maaaybe.

Really though, a good and not incredibly impossible thing NYC can do for the South Bronx among other places is probably using the parking spaces in the towers in the park style of the housing projects for development of mixed-income including market rate (which would obviously be pretty low compared to housing not on project grounds) and mixed-use housing that actually has some commercial forming a streetwall of sorts like other non-towers-in-the-park developments have. This gives NYCHA the money to work on its massive backlog of issues, adds more overall housing supply so there's less of a crunch on market level housing prices, dilutes the concentrated poverty somewhat, and adds more eyes on the streets. To me, it's crazy that something like this open surface parking lot should exist at all given the unaffordable housing prices (even with the pandemic dropping some prices), the massive budgetary hole NYCHA has and the location's proximity to mass transit.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-12-2020 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 09:44 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Go further north to 161st and along Grand Concourse. Much better neighborhood to me at least.
I like the Concourse Historic District, too. Buildings are beautiful, apartments are spacious and across the street from two lovely parks.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:44 AM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Quote:

I feel you, 100%, I’m “ethnic” by America’s standards, and was born in another country, and not rich and I lived right next to some of the projects you mentioned, and had a job that took me to most of NYCHA complexes at any time of the day and night so I’m extremely familiar with what you just mentioned. But I feel you about the white people (the “real white people” to America’s standards, and privileged on top of that coming from other States) and their delusions. And I also agree they are one of the main reasons Trump got elected, I remember 2016, having arguments with the #ImWithHer cult, and their blurred vision from their safe bubble. But their delusion is also why these hoods gentrify so quick, because it’s “cool” to live in a gritty environment, and it’s “inclusive”, according to them. Realtors know it and take advantage of it.

And when you think about it, there has been a new uptick in violent crime in newly gentrified areas.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:45 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:

You are the one who has no idea what he's talking about :-). My parents are not from Ukraine, I was born and raised in a place that is about 1,000 miles to the west of Ukraine, I have lived in the US since age 23, and am not even a mother, let alone a grandmother . People I normally hang out with tend to be younger and healthier in their 60s and even 70s than anyone you likely ever encountered in that age group, so I don't blame you for the lack of clue. I do not live in Parkchester, though I have a small condo there. Besides the maintenance company that owns most of rental units in Parkchester, the private condo owners are mostly Chinese (who own hundreds of investment condos in PC), Puerto Ricans/Dominicans and Bangladeshis (the last two groups being both owner-occupants and investors, though the majority of owner-investors really do appear to be Chinese). Almost no condo owner in Parkchester is white, and if there are any of them other than me, I haven't spoken to them - I have actually spoken only with non-white condo owners in PC. Everyone who owns, and nearly everyone who lives, in PC is strongly anti-crime. Nobody has ever been known to be kidnapped from Parkchester in 80 years that Parkchester had existed - a majority of Parkchesterites are indeed immigrants, but nobody is a foreign diplomat or billionaire :-).

The tracking device is small and sturdy, very hard to smash, plus it records the position continuously, and it will show when and where it produced a signal up until the moment it is smashed (in addition to showing where I am now, it will show where I have been 20 min ago, or last week or 6 months ago, or at any time in the history from the moment I activated it). Smashing also triggers the remote alarm signal on the phones of several of my extended family members, and the police will be notified within less than an hour of it being smashed. NYPD would know about it before anyone can even request anything from my family (and rest assured that my family would not pay one cent to anyone. I have had a fascinating life, I don't have a problem with dying any time, and I would die with happy visions of your "hungry kids" being raped in prison :-). In fact, based on this here exchange of posts, rest assured that NYPD would come knocking on YOUR door if anything funny should happen to me :-).

When I came to the US towards the end of 1983, at the height of the crack era, I lived for several years in a deep hood, in a very depressed city in Upstate NY. I was a graduate student, and way too poor to afford anything better. No worries, I know all I need to know about poor people in the US - both the decent poor and the scum. In fact, a major reason for being comfortable in Parkchester is that it brings back fond memories of my youth, but in an incomparably safer setting than where I lived for my first 3.5 years in the US.

Last edited by elnrgby; 10-12-2020 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 09:48 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
And then you go to the subway station on 138th and realize where you really are. They need to clean up East Harlem and that northeast part of Harlem before that area is worth it. The few restaurants down there are actually good, but f that part of the 6 train, seriously.

Go further north to 161st and along Grand Concourse. Much better neighborhood to me at least. Still too much dog poop though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think one question is to what level can rent prices be brought down and still be profitable for landlords overall versus to what people are able and willing to pay for what's there.
The market will set the price for sure.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:55 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
The market will set the price for sure.
Right, and prices in NYC are so high compared to even a decade ago, let alone two decades ago, even after you adjust for inflation, that there's likely quite some distance for the rents/prices to be dropped before it makes more sense for housing to simply be abandoned en masse. As that price drops, then more and more people will find the value proposition of coming to / staying in NYC more attractive. It's really when where that point meets well below the operating and maintenance expenses of the property where it really runs the risk of abandonment, but like said earlier, the prices have been increasing so rapidly and are so damn high that it's likely there's quite a drop that can be feasibly be made on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City