Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:14 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It is a sparsely populated area, walking distance for young thugs to do dirt with less cameras, bystanders around.

Do you realize with COVID gentrification has been pushed back by 10 years or more? The economy is going to be bad and young Men will resort to crime especially in the current political environment.

A lot of you are White and potentially B&T crowd so many of you just don't get it. I have had family in Sedgwick projects, Marcy houses etc.

The mentality is "We gonna get it by any means necessary"

As a Black Man in corporate America I know these kids don't stand a chance at any kind of six figure job. The economic doors have been closing for decades now but people (especially privileged White people) have blinders on.

I think it's funny that a lot of these same White people would never enter certain trailer parks but somehow feel perfectly comfortable in the ghetto. This is why Trump won unfortunately. The delusion of liberal or left leaning Whites on poverty and how it should be addressed.

The first step is to respect the reality and understand the resources that the other person has. If you're there to do community service or accompanied by local officials that's one thing but coming in as a gentrifier believing DeBlasio will keep you from getting hit by a stray bullet is delusional.

Keep playing the lotto and you're number is going to come up. And not in the way you want.

Most white kids don't stand a chance of a six figure job either, since the great majority of white people in the US are not any more privileged than people of any other color. I certainly did not arrive to this country privileged in any way - I worked very hard, and have earned every modest "privilege" I might finally have. But I have just recently retired, and will not be drawing a six figure annual income in retirement - I need less than half of the lowest six figure income, and therefore know that a mid-five figure income is more than adequate for normal life.

If your mentality is "we gonna get it by any means necessary", that only guarantees that someone will get YOU by any means necessary (either the rival gang, or the law enforcement, or a Bubba with a hunting rifle). Btw, I have worked in healthcare services nationwide, so have certainly seen my share of white trailer population. Correct, there is no difference between the white criminal scum and any other color criminal scum - did I ever say there was? Due to internal migration patterns, NYC at this time mostly has scum that comes in limited specific colors - but scum very much does come in white variety as well, why do you think I don't know that, and how is that related to this thread?

The problem with your "hungry kids" is not that they do not have adequate resources (they certainly have them) - their problem is that they do not want adequate resources, but the BEST resources, without working for the best resources but obtaining them by crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Trailer parks and projects are equally disgusting, full of equal lazy low class give me criminal people. Society's losers on full display. Not all, but most. I feel for those stuck who aren't like those with who they are stuck with. Get those people out and nuke the rest.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:47 AM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
And then you go to the subway station on 138th and realize where you really are. They need to clean up East Harlem and that northeast part of Harlem before that area is worth it. The few restaurants down there are actually good, but f that part of the 6 train, seriously.

Go further north to 161st and along Grand Concourse. Much better neighborhood to me at least. Still too much dog poop though.
I used to live right on 161 and grand concourse. I loved my building. Lot's of old timers who had been in the building for 30+ years. So people actually cared about the building. Area was fine for me too. You have hood elements by the train but at least the area is always busy due to the businesses. On 138th you don't have the subway stop for the 6 and the 4/5 just boom right there. I wouldn't want to get off the 4/5 past dark on 138th street.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:56 PM

The thing is, every once in a while, somebody (named like Tencent or NYCWriterDude or whatever, maybe the same person) comes on this forum, and issues blatantly racist violent threats to any self-supporting person that might consider to move in a lower-income neighborhood in NYC. Dude, don't you know that the FBI gets the bulk of its leads from social media, from forums like this one? Don't you know that it is trivially easy for them to figure out who you are, who I am?

If a developer considers building a market rate development in an area where there is a concern of crime, they will obviously hire a security for the building and its surroundings. And people who can and want to pay rent to live there will indeed live there. If threats from lowlife ever had any effect on urban development in NYC, there would not have been a city to start with, let alone Tribeca, Soho, Chelsea, Williamsburg, or any other part of the city that went from undesirable to the opposite. I think NYC must be the only place on the planet where freeloaders and criminals complain and threaten against economic improvement of a neighborhood, and expect that to be taken seriously by anyone.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:11 PM

870 posts, read 414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I used to live right on 161 and grand concourse. I loved my building. Lot's of old timers who had been in the building for 30+ years. So people actually cared about the building. Area was fine for me too. You have hood elements by the train but at least the area is always busy due to the businesses. On 138th you don't have the subway stop for the 6 and the 4/5 just boom right there. I wouldn't want to get off the 4/5 past dark on 138th street.
Speaking of this particular area, not only is it very decent, but prices went up drastically around the stadium.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Speaking of this particular area, not only is it very decent, but prices went up drastically around the stadium.
Yeah. I was looking into some really nice places on Gerard and Walton and the prices shot up like crazy suddenly. About the same time when I couldn't find cheap studios in Washington Heights anymore. There was also a 1bd for like $60k in Pelham Parkway that needed TLC, but hell, I know some guys in Queens. It was at that point I got my rent stabilized apartment, and though I've since moved, I'm still stabilized lol. Market rate feels disconnected in many areas.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:58 PM

870 posts, read 414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Yeah. I was looking into some really nice places on Gerard and Walton and the prices shot up like crazy suddenly. About the same time when I couldn't find cheap studios in Washington Heights anymore. There was also a 1bd for like $60k in Pelham Parkway that needed TLC, but hell, I know some guys in Queens. It was at that point I got my rent stabilized apartment, and though I've since moved, I'm still stabilized lol. Market rate feels disconnected in many areas.
Absolutely, I know a person who owned a 1BR on the concourse and 161, bought like 8 years ago for 164,000 and sold last year for 350,000....

Old 10-12-2020, 03:25 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
The whole area is more expensive since they started developing the area. Its been about 5 years where a 1 bedroom is going for $1700 a month.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:50 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
The whole area is more expensive since they started developing the area. Its been about 5 years where a 1 bedroom is going for $1700 a month.
$1700 to live in the hood... No thanks. The prices went up because the housing programs like Section 8 keep offering more for rent, which that area is full of.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
$1700 to live in the hood... No thanks. The prices went up because the housing programs like Section 8 keep offering more for rent, which that area is full of.

Correct, the lowest rental price in the Bronx is equal to the amount of Section 8 voucher. Landlords adjust their rents to either the exact amount of Section 8 if they have Section 8 tenants (because why would they charge the city less than the amount of the voucher?), or somewhat above Section 8 voucher (if they want to avoid Section 8 tenants, who won't pay more than the voucher). Section 8 vouchers are the sole determinant of rents in low-income areas of the Bronx, and tge sole reason why the Bronx has rents which are high relative to the value of the property and neighborhood, ie, the Bronx is a good deal only if you have a voucher (because in that case the NYC taxpayers pay your rent so you don't care how high the rent is), or if you buy your own place (because the properfy is cheap). For people who pay their own rent, it is pretty bad, though rents are still lower than elsewhere in NYC (but not too much lower).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City