Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 06:09 PM

870 posts, read 414,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That may be, but my comment was what you could get with say $1700, and what rents are going for in the South Bronx and on the Upper West Side. The point still remains that a quick search online shows that you can get an apartment (a one bedroom) on the Upper West Side, just as you could in the South Bronx for the same price, something that previously was not doable, so prices are comparable, even if the amenities may not be. The only difference I have seen to be honest is that some apartments in the South Bronx have been renovated compared to the Upper West, but big deal. Looking at the amenities on the Upper West to the South Bronx, there's no comparison.
Exactly what happened with North Brooklyn, some people are/were determined to get a place in Brooklyn, even if it meant having the Marcy houses or Sumner houses across the street, just so they can be “cool”, when rentals go for about the same in the UWS. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 07:05 AM

579 posts, read 945,989 times
https://www.facebook.com/10651860451...9873937842259/

This is the advertisement that is posted on Facebook. Still seems reasonable compared to similar properties in east Harlem.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:44 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
https://www.facebook.com/10651860451...9873937842259/

This is the advertisement that is posted on Facebook. Still seems reasonable compared to similar properties in east Harlem.

Note they don't show the surrounding neighborhood. Development is still better for the Bronx then not having it. We'll have to see how these shiny new buildings are in a few years. If the 'affordable apartment' tenants end up being welfare and section-8 then the market rate tenants will be driven out, which may be what the plan really is. BTW, those smartphone enabled door locks are a hacker's dream.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Note they don't show the surrounding neighborhood. Development is still better for the Bronx then not having it. We'll have to see how these shiny new buildings are in a few years. If the 'affordable apartment' tenants end up being welfare and section-8 then the market rate tenants will be driven out, which may be what the plan really is. BTW, those smartphone enabled door locks are a hacker's dream.
What do you mean by the "surrounding neighborhood," the entire south Bronx or just the immediate area near these buildings? The immediate area (Bruckner Boulevard and streets south of it, East 138th Street from Third Avenue to the Grand Concourse, the Grand Concourse up to East 149th Street and the river from west of the Major Deegan Expressway) is definitely in transition, from a predominantly industrial area to residential. There are several new market rate and affordable developments going up and/or planned so I think it is likely that this area will look very different in the next few years. Affordable apartments are not Section 8 or "welfare" as you indicated. These are two different programs and you should not lump them together. As for the direction of the entire south Bronx, who knows? I would say it can only get better. You can call me an optimist but it's my opinion.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by the "surrounding neighborhood," the entire south Bronx or just the immediate area near these buildings? The immediate area (Bruckner Boulevard and streets south of it, East 138th Street from Third Avenue to the Grand Concourse, the Grand Concourse up to East 149th Street and the river from west of the Major Deegan Expressway) is definitely in transition, from a predominantly industrial area to residential. There are several new market rate and affordable developments going up and/or planned so I think it is likely that this area will look very different in the next few years. Affordable apartments are not Section 8 or "welfare" as you indicated. These are two different programs and you should not lump them together. As for the direction of the entire south Bronx, who knows? I would say it can only get better. You can call me an optimist but it's my opinion.

Real Estate videos usually show the exterior and at least the block that the building is on. This is NYC, there's a good chance that affordable will end up being section-8 or welfare. I hope the Bronx gets better too.

NYC could require developers to reserve units for the homeless. - http://u.pc.cd/P5cctalK

Old 10-18-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
NYC could require developers to reserve units for the homeless. - http://u.pc.cd/P5cctalK
The article is saying that the city "could" require that affordable housing developments accept homeless tenants but goes on to say that it's legality is questionable. As for Section 8 tenants, any landlord could decide to accept Section 8 anywhere since it is a federal housing program. There are Section 8 housing all over the city.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
The article is saying that the city "could" require that affordable housing developments accept homeless tenants but goes on to say that it's legality is questionable. As for Section 8 tenants, any landlord could decide to accept Section 8 anywhere since it is a federal housing program. There are Section 8 housing all over the city.

The way it stands right now is that a NYC landlord cannot refuse to rent to someone just because they have a section-8 voucher. I believe the law is being challenged but I'm not sure.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-requi...man-rights-law

Old 10-18-2020, 03:11 PM

5,688 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Quote:
What's your definition of "the next few years"?

Old 10-18-2020, 03:57 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
The way it stands right now is that a NYC landlord cannot refuse to rent to someone just because they have a section-8 voucher. I believe the law is being challenged but I'm not sure.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-requi...man-rights-law

I am never going to be a landlord again, I fortunately had enough good sense to pull out of that, but I believe (am not 100% sure, but am pretty sure) that:

1. landlords who own fewer than 6 rental apartments in NY are not required to accept Section 8, and

2. all landlords are still free to set the minimum income requirement. Suppose the cutoff for section 8 voucher in the amount of $1,600 per month is the income under $39,800 per year. If voucher itself is considered an income, then this section 8 voucher holder cannot possibly have the total annual income of more than $59,800. If the landlord sets the rent at $1,600 per month, and the minimum income requirement at $60,000 per year, that automatically excludes section 8 holders from renting the apartment.

What effectively happens is that low-income or lower-middle-income people who do not have Section 8 cannot afford the rent because they neither can pay $1,600 per month (the minimum rent determined by the amount of the voucher), nor have an income of $60k per year (the minimum income landlords are forced to require in order to avoid Section 8 tenants). That is how Section 8 program harms decent lower-income people who struggle to support themselves by honest work rather than by playing the system.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:30 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Pandemic or not, I would pick the Upper West Side over the South Bronx any day. The prices there are absurd, and the apartments are not that big either. With all of the quality of life issues there, there is no reason to pay such high rents there if you can find better elsewhere.
Dude, if that were the case, no one would be living in the Bronx. Why would anyone chose to commute when they can walk to work, or, have a very short ride. Any equitable priced apartment is either a scam, a closet or some other thing that we don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City