Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 09:25 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I brought it up because elnrgby said that rental prices in the Bronx were cheaper. Regardless of the reason, prices are not that different across the boroughs NOW. That's the point. In other words, if someone wants to be closer to the action, they are jumping on it and renting in areas like the Upper West Side. Who cares what will happen down the road when they are renting? They can move when prices go back up. For the here and now, they have cheap rent and landlords are giving all sorts of concessions, so yes, prices will eventually go up maybe a few years from now, but for now, that is not the case. I only gave one example, but I know realtors who see what's going on. People are moving OUT of Manhattan, which means opportunities for others for much cheaper rents in prime areas of the City, so it's nuts to pay $1700 in the South Bronx when you can get something at the same price or a little more in prime areas of Manhattan or elsewhere.

What is weird is the rents are not really going down in the Bronx, and they should be, and the reason they likely aren't is because of all of the people on Section 8 in the poorer areas like the South Bronx. It just shows how artificially inflated the rents are there, especially when compared to nice areas like Riverdale, Country Club, Morris Park, etc. There are plenty of places in the South Bronx now that are more than that and are tiny studios, so more space in the Bronx is not a given.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/bronx/13...54--2501996497

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/bronx/53...0#lil-mediaTab
So you choose to listen to someone who
1. Do not live in NYC
2. Do not rent in NYC
3. Have out of date knowledge about the borough
4. Do not live in NYC (I know its a repeat but I don't know why yall kept feeding the trolls)

Your method of getting a place close to the action because of the COVID price drop and not caring what happens down the road when they are renting is exactly how people end up in a worse situation once the LL raises the rent. Who in their right mind wants to be moving every time their lease renews because they cant afford the new rent and thats if they find a better or similar place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 09:34 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
So you choose to listen to someone who
1. Do not live in NYC
2. Do not rent in NYC
3. Have out of date knowledge about the borough
4. Do not live in NYC (I know its a repeat but I don't know why yall kept feeding the trolls)

Your method of getting a place close to the action because of the COVID price drop and not caring what happens down the road when they are renting is exactly how people end up in a worse situation once the LL raises the rent. Who in their right mind wants to be moving every time their lease renews because they cant afford the new rent and thats if they find a better or similar place.
It's not my method. This is what other people are doing. That's the reality. People move to where they can get cheap rent. If they're already paying market rate and can afford to pay a little more, they are taking the jump. You don't have to agree with it. That is happening NOW. As I said, I know a number of realtors that are getting people from Upper Manhattan and elsewhere that are moving to the Upper West Side because of the cheaper rents.

Me personally, I don't like moving often and just pay the increase until I'm ready to buy, but I'm not like everybody else.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:37 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
Lol, I'd rather live in the UWS than in Parkchester. Central Park, beautiful townhomes, Riverside Park, the churches in the 100s, my friends in the 90s, possibly being able to walk to Columbia University (it's a pretty campus to me). Living space for me isn't a QOL indicator given I can't even reasonable furnish this 450 sq ft studio.

Also, Parkchester has nothing to do with Mott Haven outside of sharing the 6 line afaik.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Lol, I'd rather live in the UWS than in Parkchester. Central Park, beautiful townhomes, Riverside Park, the churches in the 100s, my friends in the 90s, possibly being able to walk to Columbia University (it's a pretty campus to me). Living space for me isn't a QOL indicator given I can't even reasonable furnish this 450 sq ft studio.

Also, Parkchester has nothing to do with Mott Haven outside of sharing the 6 line afaik.
Pandemic or not, I would pick the Upper West Side over the South Bronx any day. The prices there are absurd, and the apartments are not that big either. With all of the quality of life issues there, there is no reason to pay such high rents there if you can find better elsewhere.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:22 AM

8,338 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Do you folks know how to read?? I am NOT RENTING anything in NYC. I OWN a condo in NYC, not as a home, but as an alternative to a hotel when I get to NYC for a couple of weeks from time to time, which I will be doing a lot in my retirement, after this Covid situation is over. A Parkchester condo works well for that purpose for me - it was very cheap to buy ($95k cash, which I will recoup when I sell the place eventually), it is cheap to maintain ($450 per month including HOA, property tax and ConEd bill - the whole monthly expense is equal to two nights at a mid-range Manhattan hotel, or 4 nights at AirBnB in the boroughs), it is near enough to Manhattan for a retired visitor, it is safe to walk on the condo complex grounds in the daytime, and it is safe to sleep in my condo at night. I do not keep anything there, everything I own is inside my primary home (a condo in a historic building in the best part of Boston).

Correct, Parkchester is not Mott Haven, but the thread took a turn into the question of whether it is safe to live in the Bronx, and that question pertains to 90% of the Bronx ourside of Riverdale, whether it is Mott Haven or Parkchester. I responded to a post where that other poster, Tencent, was threatening everyone who is not a POC living in NYCHA with kidnapping and murder if they dare to move into the Bronx. My response was that a place that advertises itself as a luxury complex, or even just as a comfortable complex, in the Bronx will take care to have an adequate security as well.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:47 AM

579 posts, read 945,438 times
Quote:
Pandemic or not, I would pick the Upper West Side over the South Bronx any day. The prices there are absurd, and the apartments are not that big either. With all of the quality of life issues there, there is no reason to pay such high rents there if you can find better elsewhere.
On what planet do all of you spend your time? Rents in the South Bronx are not equal to those for the upper west side, even with the current dislocations caused by COVID. Seriously.

If you compare the rents at the Arches to comparable apartments (I mean new construction with lots of amenities) on the upper west side, they are priced much lower. I will admit maybe not low enough, but the market will find it's equilibrium.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Do you folks know how to read?? I am NOT RENTING anything in NYC. I OWN a condo in NYC, not as a home, but as an alternative to a hotel when I get to NYC for a couple of weeks from time to time, which I will be doing a lot in my retirement, after this Covid situation is over. A Parkchester condo works well for that purpose for me - it was very cheap to buy ($95k cash, which I will recoup when I sell the place eventually), it is cheap to maintain ($450 per month including HOA, property tax and ConEd bill - the whole monthly expense is equal to two nights at a mid-range Manhattan hotel, or 4 nights at AirBnB in the boroughs), it is near enough to Manhattan for a retired visitor, it is safe to walk on the condo complex grounds in the daytime, and it is safe to sleep in my condo at night. I do not keep anything there, everything I own is inside my primary home (a condo in a historic building in the best part of Boston).

Correct, Parkchester is not Mott Haven, but the thread took a turn into the question of whether it is safe to live in the Bronx, and that question pertains to 90% of the Bronx ourside of Riverdale, whether it is Mott Haven or Parkchester. I responded to a post where that other poster, Tencent, was threatening everyone who is not a POC living in NYCHA with kidnapping and murder if they dare to move into the Bronx. My response was that a place that advertises itself as a luxury complex, or even just as a comfortable complex, in the Bronx will take care to have an adequate security as well.
No need to go into a whole diatribe about you owning. We KNOW you own, thanks to you stating so a thousand times. However, you are WRONG about prices in the Bronx being cheaper than elsewhere. Artificially inflated or not, they are on par with the other boroughs now.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
On what planet do all of you spend your time? Rents in the South Bronx are not equal to those for the upper west side, even with the current dislocations caused by COVID. Seriously.

If you compare the rents at the Arches to comparable apartments (I mean new construction with lots of amenities) on the upper west side, they are priced much lower. I will admit maybe not low enough, but the market will find it's equilibrium.

Btw, yes, that is exactly what I said: rents in the Bronx are too high for what you get in the Bronx (courtesy of Section 8 vouchers inflating the rent floor in the Bronx), but they are still lower than the rents for equivalent properties in Manhattan.

As an aside, the real value of the Bronx is not in renting your place, it is in buying your place. If you can find a pocket of safety in the Bronx (and the new development we are discussing in this thread is indeed very likely to create such a pocket of safety around it), then you can buy yourself a co-op or condo within that pocket of safety for very little money. I am pretty sure I have enough insight into that, considering that I have owned a condo in such a pocket of safety in the Bronx for the past 12.5 years.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
No need to go into a whole diatribe about you owning. We KNOW you own, thanks to you stating so a thousand times. However, you are WRONG about prices in the Bronx being cheaper than elsewhere. Artificially inflated or not, they are on par with the other boroughs now.

How long is "now"? Until we all get vaccinated?

Old 10-13-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post

A simple search shows that you can get a place on the Upper West Side for the same price as the South Bronx, so clearly you are not living on the same planet. Forget about comparable apartments...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City