Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Like one person said, a lot of it has to do with your body language and the vibe you put out. I'm told I'm attractive by people, but no one bothers me on the streets. I don't know, I guess I have the attitude of "I'm happily engaged so leave me alone" lol. If a guy starts giving me a look, I give him a dirty look.
I dunno, depending on if you've grown up here, its actually not all as bad as you girls make it. No offense, but the pssters (that's the sound certain types of men heretofore mentioned make rather than talking) can be very very annoying). But maybe cuz I grew up here and have been thus getting catcalls since age 13 I'm used to it. But it can sometimes be an internal measure of how good or bad you're looking. While its true that many men will leer at almost anything with two legs, you do get a lot more attention the better you look. And of course from different types of people depending upon who's interested in your type of look. Like after I gave birth I really wasn't getting much attention at all, being overweight for several months and definitely not looking my best. Before I gained 10 lbs I also used to get way more play. So its sort of comforting in the strangest way, but again, probably only if you're from here and you can tune it out and not be angry about it. Not saying its great to be objectified but it can give you a measure. So I guess the "short hispanics" are into the fake vegas look of big boobs and blond hair LOL. I usually got other types, often very hot tall types looking. Not that I'd ever talk to the guys, but its still a measure. I usually will just say thanks and keep it moving. Getting catcalls from teenagers when you've just turned 40 is also marginally indicative that you look half way decent, if nothing else (it makes me laugh actually as I think to myself "jailbait" LOL).

Old 07-25-2008, 02:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Default you ladies...

are lucky to get bona fide catcalls meant for you. I once blushed immensely when a young lady on the second floor of a building I was passing by looked in my direction and whistled, "Oh baby, aren't you the tall handsome one!"

Just as I was getting so carried away that I almost got run over by a delivery guy on a bicycle, I looked to my left and there was Brad Pitt.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Unfortunately the comments directed at women aren't as innocuous. They're actually pretty disgusting. I grew up here, too, and I've never gotten used to it.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:01 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Well it certainly does depend on the specific comment that's for sure. Agreed some of it is highly annoying, but I still dont let it affect me in any way at all, expect maybe think to myself I must be looking better lately (which does indeed tend to coincide with the reality).

Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM

93 posts, read 309,407 times
Some of you guys are jumping on this girl a little hard. Look, the thing that makes NYC interesting is that you have so many different types of people bumping up against one another and its inevitable that you are going to form impressions based on your experiences. The fact that a LOT of hispanic men act this way is undeniable and while most girls I know tend to find humor in it a young single woman new to the city is not being unreasonable by being put off by it. By the same token I've never seen a hispanic man hit people up for money, cigarettes or anything else on the streets. That tends to be black men or dirty-squatter-burnout-hippie white folk. So three cheers on that count!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I dunno, depending on if you've grown up here, its actually not all as bad as you girls make it. No offense, but the pssters (that's the sound certain types of men heretofore mentioned make rather than talking) can be very very annoying). But maybe cuz I grew up here and have been thus getting catcalls since age 13 I'm used to it. But it can sometimes be an internal measure of how good or bad you're looking. While its true that many men will leer at almost anything with two legs, you do get a lot more attention the better you look. And of course from different types of people depending upon who's interested in your type of look. Like after I gave birth I really wasn't getting much attention at all, being overweight for several months and definitely not looking my best. Before I gained 10 lbs I also used to get way more play. So its sort of comforting in the strangest way, but again, probably only if you're from here and you can tune it out and not be angry about it. Not saying its great to be objectified but it can give you a measure. So I guess the "short hispanics" are into the fake vegas look of big boobs and blond hair LOL. I usually got other types, often very hot tall types looking. Not that I'd ever talk to the guys, but its still a measure. I usually will just say thanks and keep it moving. Getting catcalls from teenagers when you've just turned 40 is also marginally indicative that you look half way decent, if nothing else (it makes me laugh actually as I think to myself "jailbait" LOL).
I respect your experience, but mine has been different. Catcalls are not flattering. It is assault when someone tries to speak to me and when I ignore them they call me b*tch or have them become offended and start asking me about "who do you think you are anyway?" It is as bad as I have written. I may have taken offense at the OPs categorization of all Hispanic men as lecherous goons, but I support her rage at the treatment she has received. There is no excuse for such behavior from any man. Period. Don't blame the victims.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I respect your experience, but mine has been different. Catcalls are not flattering. It is assault when someone tries to speak to me and when I ignore them they call me b*tch or have them become offended and start asking me about "who do you think you are anyway?" It is as bad as I have written. I may have taken offense at the OPs categorization of all Hispanic men as lecherous goons, but I support her rage at the treatment she has received. There is no excuse for such behavior from any man. Period. Don't blame the victims.

YouTube - Dave Chapelle on how women dress.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Nope. I don't even own a dress that is shorter than knee length.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
I really dont understand..
My wife is a tall blonde, and she hasn't experienced this....
I mean what are you wearing???

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-25-2008 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: copyright issue

Old 07-25-2008, 04:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
[quote=cjma79;4603718]I really dont understand..
My wife is a tall blonde, and she hasn't experienced this....
I mean what are you wearing???
QUOTE]

Most likely because when YOU'RE there, this doesn't happen. Believe me, it happens. All too frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City