Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:02 PM

387 posts, read 870,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post

Call me pc, that's not exactly an insult. The point is, you come to NYC and you don't know how to act in public and you think it is someone else's fault -- possibly the fault of "those Hispancs"? NY women know to ignore it all, and to not make any assumptions about ethnicity. Stay classy on the street, be respectful of all, and they will be respectful of you.
Perhaps it continues, in part, because some women enable it?
I've been a visitor to NYC twice and have experienced the 'hissing and kissing' noises.
Think I stayed 'classy' and 'respectful to all' but I still received it .... ie they weren't respectful toward me
What century do some of you women live in? I'm from a little insignificant country and we don't ignore behaviour like that ...thus enabling it.
Turn around and say something to the little twerps for goodness sakes

Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
In fact, some men prefer to harass "classy" women over the ones who would actually be responsive to their whistling and hissing. Somehow it makes them feel like they've brought her down to their level. If one of these low self-esteem having, poorly-raised losers had two women walking by him—a modest upstanding woman and a trashy-looking hoodrat—he'd harass the modest woman every time.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:58 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I do it less now but I usually say "God bless you" and always get a smile and a thanks in return. Would that bother all of you uptight fairies in this thread?

Fact is im a guy. You're a female. If you have attractive physique, I am going to look...and there is NOTHING you can do about it. It's my eyes dammit. It's also not illegal to look.

This rascist talk is also funny. I bet you're all a bunch of white females. SMH.

I don't care is it's a bunch of 5 ft tall Mexicans from Puebla, some dark skin Dominican from Santo Domingo, or some Daddy Yankee looking Puerto Rican from San Juan, you white females are not better than them. We are all humans, don't act like your ish dont stink. Give me a break.
Obviously I don't know everyone's life story, but to be perfectly honest I've never seen a white woman being harassed by a non-white man. I've noticed in the past that men usually reserve their street harassment for women of the same race/ethnic background what have you. Black women get harassed by black men, white women are harassed by white men, etc...

Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus12 View Post
Yeah, I mean god forbid someone point out that all of the people harassing them are hispanic, not white, not black, not asian but hispanic... see a trend there? There was absolutely nothing racist about that statement at all, thats not racist thats the truth. People like you are one of the main things wrong with society, way to sensitive and overly pc. What meaning do you expect your delusional statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would hold any weight? I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
You seem to be a little brain dead. Hispanic men are not the only ones who do this. I've seen more white and African American men do it, that doesn't mean that they are the only ones.

Are you kidding me? What's not racist about saying 5 ft village people when referring to Mexicans? Even going as far as calling them subhuman. Give me a break. If Hispanics where just mentioned, that would have been fine. Unfortunately, this thread took a turn for the worse.

I bet if it was Johnny Depp all you females complaining would wet your little panties.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:58 PM

810 posts, read 836,628 times
Quote:
You seem to be a little brain dead. Hispanic men are not the only ones who do this. I've seen more white and African American men do it, that doesn't mean that they are the only ones.

Are you kidding me? What's not racist about saying 5 ft village people when referring to Mexicans? Even going as far as calling them subhuman. Give me a break. If Hispanics where just mentioned, that would have been fine. Unfortunately, this thread took a turn for the worse.

I bet if it was Johnny Depp all you females complaining would wet your little panties.
Are you a man or a woman? The TC is speaking from her perspective, which she noticed that virtually all of the men who cat called her on the street are Hispanic males.
This could be due to several reason, the areas she frequents have Hispanic men who come from backgrounds where that kind of thing is "common". They are probably immigrants who came relatively recently to the country. There is nothing "racist" from that observation.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 PM

387 posts, read 870,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Are you a man or a woman? The TC is speaking from her perspective, which she noticed that virtually all of the men who cat called her on the street are Hispanic males.
This could be due to several reason, the areas she frequents have Hispanic men who come from backgrounds where that kind of thing is "common". They are probably immigrants who came relatively recently to the country. There is nothing "racist" from that observation.
Yep agree
The OP made a cultural observation - as she noted that the majority of the men who did this were Hispanic.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Did you not see these white snobs talking about 5 ft village people and subhuman when referring to Mexicans? Is it ok if I refer to all of you as cracker?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Did you not see these white snobs talking about 5 ft village people and subhuman when referring to Mexicans? Is it ok if I refer to all of you as cracker?
I've heard much worse to be honest. *shrug*

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I've heard much worse to be honest. *shrug*
Yeah I could also call you much worse but unfortunately I'm not allowed to on these forums.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
This thread is 1000 years old. The OP is a senior citizen, now living in FL, where nobody bothers her, except her arthritis (from time to time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City