Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times

Advertisements

[quote=Ace Rock;5938109]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Cost of living - much higher in NY for rental prices; moderately more expensive for dining out, going shopping, etc. However, you will save a lot of money in transportation costs because you do not need a car here. I LOVE not having a car.

This is a FALSE myth that many people perpetuate.

1. Unless you spend thousands to live in Manhattan or close to Manhattan/subway lines, you may need a car.

2. The thousands that you "save" annually by not having a car, is more than eaten up, and then some, by your rent/real estate costs. It's not that most people save money by forgoing a car, it's just that they CAN'T afford a car.

Rent - much higher in NY. A two bedroom luxury apartment for $2000/month in Miami will cost $4000/month in prime areas of Manhattan. However, if you go to less trendy areas of Queens (safe areas about 15-45 minute subway ride from midtown or downtown Manhattan) you can find nice two bedroom apartments for $2000/month and under.

$2000 2-bedroom with ocean view beats living in some plumber's $2000 basement in Queens.

Opportunity - more in NY. For banking and finance, this city is unparalleled.

LOL! Been to Wall St. lately?

Social life - I think it is better in NY due to that there is a more diverse culinary scene, a diverse offering of bars/clubs/lounges, and many more music venues than Miami. I don't like going out in Miami and having to choose a designated driver or limit myself to one drink. I love being able to let loose here while out on a Friday night on the town without having to worry about driving 10-20 miles home! It's a huge relief and you will love being able to hop on the subway or hail a cab at 3:00 in the morning.

NYC is great if you like getting drunk till 4 am. Miami is better if you like giving a ride home to a new friend at 2 am to your "afterparty".

$60,000/year will afford you a comfortable life in NYC with a roommate or two in a nice Manhattan neighborhood. It will also afford you a studio or small one bedroom apartment in a decent area of Queens close to the city like Astoria.

Definitely pick NYC if prefer a "roommate or two" or a "studio".
Juanito, a good laugh every now and again is always good. I get that a lot from the above poster.

However, if you are making an important lfe changing decision, I'd read review the other posters' take in a more serious light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,283 times
Juanito, I think it's important that you gain perspective from people who have lived in both Miami and NYC. Otherwise it's all speculative on which one is better.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito109 View Post
Hi! I a recent grad of FIU and I have two choices on were to start my professional life. I have a job offer from a large bank and they gave me the choice to either stay here in Miami or move and work in New York. This is a tough call for me as I have been living in Miami all my life and I love it here, and everyone i know and love lives here, and I dont know a soul in New York! but i also really want to try something new. Were would be the best place to start a career? Any advice would be great.

Things I am taking inter consideratoin;

Cost of living
Rent
Opportunity
Social life
ect.

FYI My base salary is around 60k a year
I hope I am not late, since this is a old thread.
I have lived in both, I actually still have a residence in Miami, and my cars have Fl lic. plates.

60k in Miami would be easy like 85k or even 100k here in NYC.
Rent is cheap, unless you want to live in south beach or coconut grove, etc.
But you can rent an apartment in Kendall or anyother place for almost half the price here in NYC(unless you are lucky and get a stabilized apartment).

And I see that you are Juan, so if you know spanish you wont have a problem in Miami.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Also you should know this,
In Fl. single your monthly paycheck would be $3,715.50
And in NY your monthly paycheck would be $3,284.47
That is 431.01 dollars a month or 5,172.36 dollars a year.
that could be almost 25% of a really nice apartment in Miami living large.
Or it could be almost 50% of an normal 1 bedroom apartment in Miami.

But to be honest, if I were on your shoes, I would come here to NYC, get experience go up in position and then go back to Miami in 5 or 8 years. And if lucky maybe in less.
Once you get a higher position with better pay, come back to Miami and live with your family like a king.
I only say this because maybe you would get better experience and maybe better job offerings withing your bank here compared to Miami.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I have lived in both, I actually still have a residence in Miami, and my cars have Fl lic. plates.
I'm confused about this statement, because I thought you said that you're a resident of New York City? If you DO live in New York City, then of course you know that you have a maximum of 30 days to turn in your out-of-state driver's license and registration. And, of course, you've done the required emissions testing. So I guess you just moved here?

If you're unclear about what constitutes New York State "residency," here's what the NYS DMV (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/resident.htm - broken link) says:

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

Also, I'm sure that you reported to your insurance company that your vehicle is now in New York City, because I'm fairly certain that the rates are much different between the two locations.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I'm curious about this statement, because I thought you said that you're a resident of New York City? If you DO live in New York City, then of course you know that you have a maximum of 30 days to turn in your out-of-state driver's license and registration. And, of course, you've done the required emissions testing. So I guess you just moved here?

If you're unclear about what constitutes New York State "residency," here's what the NYS DMV (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/resident.htm - broken link) says:

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

Also, I'm sure that you reported to your insurance company that your vehicle is now in New York City, because I'm fairly certain that the rates are much different between the two locations.
That actually depends where actually your home is.
And since I do actually travel to Miami almost every month, I almost never 90 days here in NYC.
My residence officialy is Miami, I also have a house in P.R. and I am renting here in NYC,
I actually even have a SI Residency sticker in my car, is 100% legal.
At least I asked and they said you can have Fl plates, florida registration and still get the SI residency sticker.
Also we are here because of My wife, she is a medical resident, and we have no intent to be permanent.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
That actually depends where actually your home is.
And since I do actually travel to Miami almost every month, I almost never 90 days here in NYC.
My residence officialy is Miami, I also have a house in P.R. and I am renting here in NYC,
I actually even have a SI Residency sticker in my car, is 100% legal.
At least I asked and they said you can have Fl plates, florida registration and still get the SI residency sticker.
Also we are here because of My wife, she is a medical resident, and we have no intent to be permanent.

You checked with the DMV? Because it doesn't say 90 consecutive days of residence. If you're just "traveling" to Miami, it doesn't sound to me as if you actually live there, whether you have a home there or not -- just as you don't live in Puerto Rico, although you have a house there as well.

And you don't have to be here permanently to be considered a resident for now.

But, of course, you'd know best.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
You checked with the DMV? Because it doesn't say 90 consecutive days of residence. If you're just "traveling" to Miami, it doesn't sound to me as if you actually live there, whether you have a home there or not -- just as you don't live in Puerto Rico, although you have a house there as well.

And you don't have to be here permanently to be considered a resident for now.

But, of course, you'd know best.
I did, like I said, I even have a SI residency sticker, and the my SI record states out of state residency(weird but true.)
But since I dont have the intent to stay, i gues that is the loophole.
I really dont know why, when I went to get my EZ Pass they required my plate number, Drivers Lic. Number and since I did it in SI they ask if i am staying in SI, I told them, My main residency is in Fl, and I would only be staying here because of Medical residency.
They said ok, no problem just provide any bill you have on SI (cable bill, electricity bill, etc) and I did.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
My daughter should post to this. She is renting a one bedroom apartment in Astoria for $750 a month. She is about a 20 minute subway ride to Manhattan and walks to the train. She is a teacher though. The salary she would receive in Florida is not even close to what it is as a NYC teacher. I am a TA. Yes, my salary went down in Naples, Florida. Rents? I don't know about Miami but Naples is just as expensive as LI where we used to live. Generally, a 1 bedroom is going to be well over a $1,000 a month. Try to even find a studio. They don't exist. You can expect your salary to be cut significantly. I know Florida doesn't have a state income tax, but all the other expenses make it all a wash. Our car insurance DOUBLED when we moved to Florida. Speaking of which, they want you to register your car TEN DAYS after moving here. They really push you to become a resident.

Just my opinion, but I really hate this state. Give me NY any day.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter should post to this. She is renting a one bedroom apartment in Astoria for $750 a month. She is about a 20 minute subway ride to Manhattan and walks to the train. She is a teacher though. The salary she would receive in Florida is not even close to what it is as a NYC teacher. I am a TA. Yes, my salary went down in Naples, Florida. Rents? I don't know about Miami but Naples is just as expensive as LI where we used to live. Generally, a 1 bedroom is going to be well over a $1,000 a month. Try to even find a studio. They don't exist. You can expect your salary to be cut significantly. I know Florida doesn't have a state income tax, but all the other expenses make it all a wash. Our car insurance DOUBLED when we moved to Florida. Speaking of which, they want you to register your car TEN DAYS after moving here. They really push you to become a resident.

Just my opinion, but I really hate this state. Give me NY any day.
Well the salary he said it would be the same 60k here and 60k in Miami.
Also I dont get your insurance, my insurance in Miami is 35% or even lower then NYC insurance. I mean i pay about 50 dollars a month for insurance for one of my cars(is paid off, and only the minimun insurance for it).
And a 1 bedroom in Kendall where my brother is renting, is about 700 dolalrs. And is a nice area, and safe.

And yes florida laws are a little crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City