Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM

294 posts, read 839,386 times

Advertisements

This is something the City was considering doing in all 5 boroughs which is a GREAT idea and I love it. London has been doing this for years as well.

I'm a huge advocate for QUALITY OF LIFE issues here in the Bronx. I support ANYTHING that will prevent, deter and catch criminals that reduce the quality of life in the Bronx. It's bad enough the Bronx has had a BAD REPUTATION since the 70's that still sticks TODAY of it being a crime and drug infested borough (even though is much, much, much safer now) this reputation ultimately deters nice people from moving in and deters positive change in the borough.

I am active in the community with Police and local politians to spark change. I have a vision and a desire for the Bronx to slowly transform into a safe and desirable place to live for future families. 1 building at a time, 1 block at a time, 1 neighborhood at a time.

And if that means putting up cameras and EVERY street light pole to catch and deter criminals, then so be it.

Of coarse you have some VERY LIBERAL folks and advocates who are against this idea because they "claim" its an invasion of privacy even though its in a PUBLIC street. What privacy does ANYONE have in the streets anyways? NONE!

The way I see it is...IF YOU AIN'T DOING NOTHING WRONG THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. So why should you care?

Are the cameras sobotaging the dirt you are trying to do in the streets because you know the likelyhood you might get caught and do some time? Is that why you're complaining about the cameras being put up?

Would love to hear people's opinion on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
This is something the City was considering doing in all 5 boroughs which is a GREAT idea and I love it. London has been doing this for years as well.

I'm a huge advocate for QUALITY OF LIFE issues here in the Bronx. I support ANYTHING that will prevent, deter and catch criminals that reduce the quality of life in the Bronx. It's bad enough the Bronx has had a BAD REPUTATION since the 70's that still sticks TODAY of it being a crime and drug infested borough (even though is much, much, much safer now) this reputation ultimately deters nice people from moving in and deters positive change in the borough.

I am active in the community with Police and local politians to spark change. I have a vision and a desire for the Bronx to slowly transform into a safe and desirable place to live for future families. 1 building at a time, 1 block at a time, 1 neighborhood at a time.

And if that means putting up cameras and EVERY street light pole to catch and deter criminals, then so be it.

Of coarse you have some VERY LIBERAL folks and advocates who are against this idea because they "claim" its an invasion of privacy even though its in a PUBLIC street. What privacy does ANYONE have in the streets anyways? NONE!

The way I see it is...IF YOU AIN'T DOING NOTHING WRONG THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. So why should you care?

Are the cameras sobotaging the dirt you are trying to do in the streets because you know the likelyhood you might get caught and do some time? Is that why you're complaining about the cameras being put up?

Would love to hear people's opinion on this.

Totally agree. Regardless of what the Civil Liberties folk argue, we as a society have to sometimes sacrifice some so-called personal rights for the larger rights of society in general. Examples are for national security and, in this case, neighborhood security.

Obviously, there's got to be a proper balance and crime prevention/bettering the quality of life for residents, visitors, safeguarding the lives of the same, and putting the perps away, all sound good to go.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Agree.....cameras in the streets. Streets are public places and should be safe.

Disagree.....your view of "liberal advocates", which you have stated in a few threads.

"If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about"......I had an experience where I did nothing wrong and it still got me in trouble.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
"If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about"......I had an experience where I did nothing wrong and it still got me in trouble.

Explain that to me. And explain the evidence they have on you that got you into trouble?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I'd be all for it, to me the cameras are just another set of eyes on the streets when the police can't be there. If it helps to either deter crime or assists in the conviction of criminals, then I'm all for it. So long as it has some clearly defined limitations. For example, I would not want it to be used to flag cars who are parked at meters which have expired, and then you get a ticket in the mail. I would want this to be used strictly as a deterrent and as evidence in court for violent crimes as well as property crimes.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'd be all for it, to me the cameras are just another set of eyes on the streets when the police can't be there. If it helps to either deter crime or assists in the conviction of criminals, then I'm all for it. So long as it has some clearly defined limitations. For example, I would not want it to be used to flag cars who are parked at meters which have expired, and then you get a ticket in the mail. I would want this to be used strictly as a deterrent and as evidence in court for violent crimes as well as property crimes.

I understand but if the parking meter expired then aren't you guilty for allowing it to expire without putting in more quarters? You have no one to blame but yourself. You have to be responisble and keep track of the time it expires. Hey I'm guilty of catching meter tickets as well but I can't blame the meter maid. I can only blame myself for allowing it to expire.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I don't mind the meter maid catching it, but hey we've all been a few minutes late and it would suck to have to get a ticket for something like that. The city makes enough money on bogus tickets to begin with. I've received some very questionable tickets over the last 20 years. Now the traffic cops don't even have write a summons, they point a scanner at your plate and print one out. Think about how many tickets have to be written just to pay the salaries for an entire force of meter maids and traffic cops, and then the city has to earn a profit on top of that. These aren't cheap $25 tickets either, they run well over $100 a pop. If you are parked in front of a hydrant or illegally in a handicap spot then you deserve the ticket, but routine parking stuff if out of control. I've watched meter maids stand next to a meter that was about to expire and then pounce, issuing a summons 1 second after expiration, to me that's just cheap.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Nineteen Eighty-Four - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem is not using cameras to catch criminals, the problem would be opening the door to use cameras for other things.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Nineteen Eighty-Four - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem is not using cameras to catch criminals, the problem would be opening the door to use cameras for other things.
1. Another distinguished poster has posted elsewhere on the accuracy, or lack thereof, of wikipedia's entries

2. Orwell used metaphors and hyperbole to dramatize the potential excesses of totalitarianism. I don't think putting up security cameras with one clearly defined objective and putting restrictions on use and defining parameters would lead to either a 1984 or Animal Farm scenario.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
1. Another distinguished poster has posted elsewhere on the accuracy, or lack thereof, of wikipedia's entries

2. Orwell used metaphors and hyperbole to dramatize the potential excesses of totalitarianism. I don't think putting up security cameras with one clearly defined objective and putting restrictions on use and defining parameters would lead to either a 1984 or Animal Farm scenario.
1. Wiki just gives a summary of the book's plot. In general, for Wiki, if you check the footnotes of the page for yourself, you can find the cites for each entry and decide for yourself if you find the article to be factual Perhaps this would be a better link: 1984 by George Orwell. Search, Read, Study, Discuss..

2. IMO, it absolutely could lead to that. People, in general, are corrupt. Once a system is in place, there is always potential for abuse from the people at the top. While I think it is a good idea in theory for crime deterrence, my concern would be that while it would start as one thing, it would eventually morph into another. The whole, "give them an inch and they'll take a mile". I believe that they already have this system in place in London, I'd be interested to see how it has progressed, how they are using it, what they are using it for, since implementation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City