Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,249 times

Advertisements

i was also looking at Rosedale. It looks like a nice neighborhood, I understand that there is a large Afro-Carribean population there. It used to be a hard working Irish-Italian American neighborhood. if that is in fact true, then I probably won't fit in there. the neighbors wouldn't take too kindly to me, probably.

I hope you all don't think I'm racist. I'm really not. I'm sorry if what I said sounds racist, I don't mean it in that way at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
i was also looking at Rosedale. It looks like a nice neighborhood, I understand that there is a large Afro-Carribean population there. It used to be a hard working Irish-Italian American neighborhood. if that is in fact true, then I probably won't fit in there. the neighbors wouldn't take too kindly to me, probably.

I hope you all don't think I'm racist. I'm really not. I'm sorry if what I said sounds racist, I don't mean it in that way at all.
Yeah I understand. You wont feel comfortable. When I was in PA I really didn't feel that comfortable (I'm Half Puerto Rican half Trini so I look black) around the white people. Felt like they might think I was "invading" their territory. In that case stay away from Rosedale, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens(where I'm living right now) and most of SE Queens.

Try. Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Howard Beach, Bayside, Douglaston. Do you want a condo/apartment/co-op or a house?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 17,402 times
Default Very funny....

[quote=TheTruth08;7669992]Do they even let non Italians live in Howard Beach?

Maybe now that John Gotti's gone they do.

Actually, I'm of Irish descent and lived in Howard Beach without any problems. Good friends. Good people. Very safe.

Let's face it, your commute to the city is going to suck no matter where you live.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM

362 posts, read 774,648 times
Quote:
Anywhere? i had Bayside or Flushing in mind...
Why not Corona?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
Why not Corona?
I've never thought of Corona as being a good area. It probably doesn't have good schools.

It's also mainly hispanic and OP probably would prefer a white or mixed area. From the NY Times a few weeks ago:
"The median household income for census tracts within the neighborhood ranges from $28,000 to $40,000; 71 percent of residents are Hispanic, 11 percent Asian, the rest mostly non-Hispanic blacks and whites. Two-thirds are foreign-born, and there is wide diversity among the Latino population, the most populous being Dominicans, Mexicans, Ecuadoreans and Colombians."

When was the last time you were in Corona?

Living In: Corona Queens

Old 02-28-2009, 02:59 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
Glendale, Mespath, Middle Village and parts of Ridgewood are possibilities.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
Why not Corona?
Corona as in... "Goodbye to Rosie, the queen of Corona." ?

^great song

so here's a list of areas I like that were mentioned (no particular order)

Bayside
Middle Village
Whitestone
Howard Beach

these areas are second on my list:

Flushing
Ozone Park
Forest Hills
Rego Park

Last edited by STrapani1105; 02-28-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 12,442 times
bayside.. great neck.. middle village.. whitestone.. there are plenty more

Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 AM

893 posts, read 2,862,696 times
Quote:
Corona as in... "Goodbye to Rosie, the queen of Corona." ?

^great song

so here's a list of areas I like that were mentioned (no particular order)

Bayside
Middle Village
Whitestone
Howard Beach

these areas are second on my list:

Flushing
Ozone Park
Forest Hills
Rego Park
I've heard Flushing and Ozone Park aren't exactly white. I know Ozone Park is very west indian. I also dont know if the schools are up to par in those neighborhoods. Correct me if I'm wrong.

insideschools is a great website to find out about schools in the area.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
It's 2009 folks. You can live where you very well please. If you like a neighborhood what does it matter what your neighbor's ethnic background is?

As a parent I would be somewhat concerned about my kids growing up in a neighborhood where everyone around them was from the same background. While it would definitely have its positives, I think it develops negative sheltered attitudes in people.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-01-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City