Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM

32 posts, read 35,753 times

Advertisements

So where'd you end up? A lot has changed since 2009. District 24 looks a lot better now than it did then. So does District 30. I don't get the love for suburban parts of Queens. They're fine, but if you want to live in suburbia, you can move a little bit further east and lock in schools without having to deal with the NYC school system. High school can be a crapshoot in the city even if you live right next to a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:42 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
You ever go to the Starbucks on Crossbay Blvd down the block from Gold's Gym? I've met numerous Guyanese people there. And that was 1 year ago since I've been there. The old Italian men I chat it up with in there like mention it to me frequently. So you can roll your eyes all you want
Well going to the gym and living somewhere are two different things. Howard Beach is a white neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthe7 View Post
So where'd you end up? A lot has changed since 2009. District 24 looks a lot better now than it did then. So does District 30. I don't get the love for suburban parts of Queens. They're fine, but if you want to live in suburbia, you can move a little bit further east and lock in schools without having to deal with the NYC school system. High school can be a crapshoot in the city even if you live right next to a good one.
Districts 24 and 30 are far from suburban. Check out a density map.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 PM

224 posts, read 134,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well going to the gym and living somewhere are two different things. Howard Beach is a white neighborhood.
Who said anything about going to the gym? I said the Starbucks down the block from the gym. Are you even familiar with the area at all? Do you know what's even behind the Starbucks? Or in front of it?

Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
When people who spell and punctuate like this talk about how good the schools are, I just can't take them seriously. Sorry, but I just can't.
Your rep is over 17,000 and you responded to somebody who posted almost 6 years ago?

Were u bored?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Guyanese in Howard Beach since when? Sounds like somebody needs to get out more. Maybe you mean East New York?
This is all I could find:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...ticle-1.236307

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 PM

32 posts, read 35,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Districts 24 and 30 are far from suburban. Check out a density map.
Didn't say they were, but I guess my post wasn't too clear. Most of the suggestions on this thread were suburban (bayside, fresh meadows, etc), while urban neighborhoods were largely spoken of poorly. What I meant to say was urban schools are better than they once were. If you want to live in queens, go for district 24 or 30. If you want to live in suburbia, go to Nassau county instead of eastern or southern queens.

For what it's worth though, Glendale has maybe the worst transit access in all of queens and is about as low density as 24 gets. I wouldn't move there either if I was looking for city life. And if I was looking for suburbia, long island looks easier when it comes to making sure your kid isn't in a bad high school.

Last edited by onthe7; 05-16-2017 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 07:22 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthe7 View Post
Didn't say they were, but I guess my post wasn't too clear. Most of the suggestions on this thread were suburban (bayside, fresh meadows, etc), while urban neighborhoods were largely spoken of poorly. What I meant to say was urban schools are better than they once were. If you want to live in queens, go for district 24 or 30. If you want to live in suburbia, go to Nassau county instead of eastern or southern queens.

For what it's worth though, Glendale has maybe the worst transit access in all of queens and is about as low density as 24 gets. I wouldn't move there either if I was looking for city life. And if I was looking for suburbia, long island looks easier when it comes to making sure your kid isn't in a bad high school.
Glendale consists mostly of 2 family semi-attached and attached housing. It has higher density than Maspeth and Middle Village. Both density and transit wise it is similiar to Astoria Heights and East Elmhurst, but with better schools and greater access to recreational parkland.

BTW...that North Brooklyn gentrification thing thats been spreading rapidly into Ridgewood...you're now starting to see it trickle into Glendale.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
good job telling us this, 6 years after the last post
Better late than never.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:22 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Your rep is over 17,000 and you responded to somebody who posted almost 6 years ago?

Were u bored?
No. Bad spelling, grammar, and punctuation just drive me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City