Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad397 View Post
I second that. I'm in the lower 800's and would love to get hired even if I were to be layed off right away. at least I would know I'm comming back.
I am sorry but dont count on it. They wont be hiring a new class until 2012. When the class of 93 gets ready to retire

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM

335 posts, read 747,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanManHopeful View Post
So Epyon, you have really noticed a significant increase in retirement applications? Is it noticeable enough to think it may prevent layoffs and maybe even have another class sometime this year? I'm in the lower 500's just like you and can hardly take another day at my current job.

Good luck to you.
yeah i have .. some weeks we get alot .. like this week( maybe there was an class in late march 20 years ago). Then some weeks we get like 3-5. But it add up. Like someone else said sometimes it is a "trick" they do to use their terminal leave then they stop the process and stay on but not many do that. The markets are doing good. If the ecomony and the state does good then we do good. Sometimes all these rumors about layoffs are so bipolar sometimes that i get all dizzy. Somedays its like the sky is falling, then somedays there might be some light at the end of the tunnel :S . But its no lie that soon we are going to need a class of sanitation workers to replace all the guys that have been leaving. Whether they are going to hold off till next year to play it safe i am not sure. Things can change in a heart beat here as well anywhere.

The only problem is those that are like me (552) that are supposedly a class away might not be in the same class. Because all of those guys that were skipped over and/or put it off might go put their number back on the list now. And there might be more that come on the list than before because guys that skipped it because they had job already might of been laid off or guys that thought they had a secure job might feel less secure now and might want to have something that has more security. We are up to 484. We only hired 200 guys.... there is like another 284 guys unaccounted for. Now lets say half of them failed their medicals and didn't show up for their phyiscals or they are just too young to take the job right now. Thats 142 left. even if we cut that by half thats 71. So they might not even reach to 520 if there was a next class. Hell they might not even be able to move the list forward if 142 guys that were passed are ready now.

Granted that chances of that happening aren't good since people are lazy but then again times are changing and people are willing to do anything for good money. I would cry if they stopped at 551. lol

Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM

156 posts, read 370,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
But its no lie that soon we are going to need a class of sanitation workers to replace all the guys that have been leaving. Whether they are going to hold off till next year to play it safe i am not sure. Things can change in a heart beat here as well anywhere.
Epyon I'm just curious about this part- when you say the city is going to need to replace the guys who have been leaving, you're basing that on the previous all-time high headcount right? do you think the city will try to maintain that headcount with all the talk of "doing more with less", possible layoffs, etc...

I know every junior guy wants as many new hires as quickly as possible, but what I've been hearing around the job is more in line with what DSNYSANMAN said, that it might be years before they hire again

Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
Epyon I'm just curious about this part- when you say the city is going to need to replace the guys who have been leaving, you're basing that on the previous all-time high headcount right? do you think the city will try to maintain that headcount with all the talk of "doing more with less", possible layoffs, etc...

I know every junior guy wants as many new hires as quickly as possible, but what I've been hearing around the job is more in line with what DSNYSANMAN said, that it might be years before they hire again

I say what i say based upon my knowledge of current numbers and my belief that the purpose of a headcount is to keep it leveled. Not over too much but def. not under. But who knows, maybe they save money staying under headcount for awhile. oh well.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 PM

I mean if you want you can just take the numbers from what the major put up there in that budget outlook and you can have a general idea. Thats what i do when I post here since i cant give you other information.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 PM

156 posts, read 370,185 times
thanks man...oh and just so you know I wasn't saying "do you think the city will try to maintain that headcount" in a condescending way, I really was asking your opinion, but after re-reading my post I wasn't sure how it came across...

the all-time high headcount that we once had was in effect during a different economic climate, and even then there was all the talk about how many guys we were over (what was it, a day in May of last year that the city was over something like 500 guys?)...so when you said the city will need to replace guys soon, I just wondered if you based that on that same headcount, even though less guys will be needed with trucks being cut, routes being extended, etc.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I am sorry but dont count on it. They wont be hiring a new class until 2012. When the class of 93 gets ready to retire
I have to agree with that statement. It took me a long time to see it that way but it is shaping up to turn out that way.

The #6063 list is toast. It is what it is people. There is a reason why Bloomberg persuaded Doherty to come out of retirement...only way for DSNY to hire again will be if Bloomberg loses the election and a new competent DSNY commissioner is put in place.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM

231 posts, read 466,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I have to agree with that statement. It took me a long time to see it that way but it is shaping up to turn out that way.

The #6063 list is toast. It is what it is people. There is a reason why Bloomberg persuaded Doherty to come out of retirement...only way for DSNY to hire again will be if Bloomberg loses the election and a new competent DSNY commissioner is put in place.

They will hire before then. People retire, get hurt and quit/fired. I dont know if it will be this summer, but i would think next spring.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM

372 posts, read 830,215 times
i heard that there mite be layoffs cuz the union doesnt wanna give anything back like they want unlimited sick to be gone and a bunch of other keys things about this job and the union isnt giving nothing and hey i will get laid off for stuff like that...unimited sick is so important and people just take advangtage of it...if you get a heart attack or break a leg u are gonna get paid so important...people dont understand if you stay in A u get 3 instances 8 days 3-3-2 and there free thats another mini vacation where they dont call or check u so stupid

Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJU2000 View Post
They will hire before then. People retire, get hurt and quit/fired. I dont know if it will be this summer, but i would think next spring.
Not if what Doherty said was true..that he can run the dept with 3,400...nobody has mentioned about next years budget deficit and the year after that one,they are going to be much bigger gaps in the deficit..NYC Faces $7 Billion Deficit by 2011.

There is no guarantee that those who get laid off this summer will come back in 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City