Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
that would be fun, Ohiogirl. I wish I could find something like that.

2200 dollars and two jobs will get that for ya...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM

582 posts, read 763,367 times
i swear I can't bring myself to write an email to the management company telling them that I can't rent the studio

I think they already know because I should have sent an email or called them in the morning if I were to sign the lease.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM

guys:

3 weeks ago, I put my application and paid about 60 dollars for that studio and got approved. I kept postponing signing the lease till they finish with the rennovations. now, after our discussions, I am convinced that I will have to let it go. However, I want to keep my options open with that company just in case in the last minute I might need them. what would be an appropriate excuse for not taking the studio now? I am trying to write an email now but don't know what to say.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
guys:

3 weeks ago, I put my application and paid about 60 dollars for that studio and got approved. I kept postponing signing the lease till they finish with the rennovations. now, after our discussions, I am convinced that I will have to let it go. However, I want to keep my options open with that company just in case in the last minute I might need them. what would be an appropriate excuse for not taking the studio now? I am trying to write an email now but don't know what to say.

Honestly you are in no position to be calling all the shots. You are being to picky for someone in your situation.nothing will ever be perfect.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I'm not really sure you have your priorities straight because you say that you want to keep the gym to socialize, but then say having a social life is not important to you right now. Then you say being able to save $100-$150/month extra is not that big of a deal for you? I would think that is a pretty decent amount considering your income, but that could just be me?

My advice if you give up the studio, take your mindset out of Manhattan and consider Queens. Open up your options and have a open-mind. As I mentioned before, my friend passed on a studio in Astoria that was asking $800 and has a private full bath and kitchen - but it was in the basement with windows. But Astoria is only one option. If you don't want to be in a basement, then you might consider a share 2-bedroom in Queens/Bklyn, where most likely you will pay less than $1,000. I have even seen 2-bedrooms in Forest Hills going for $1,800 so your share would be $900 (or possibly $1,000 with utilities). Still better than $1,300/month in Manhattan.

Next, seriously consider changing gyms. Not give it up, but change to a less expensive one. NYSC, Ballys, and Lucille Roberts, are all cheaper than Equinox. I've been to a Equinox, and yes it is nicer and cleaner and they give you slippers for the showers, but in your position - you should be more concerned with saving the extra $100.

By moving out to Queens and changing gyms, you can possibly save any extra $200-$300/month. This can go towards savings or having a social life outside of a gym.

You can definitely cut your cable cost and watch basic TV, then get a basic DSL plan from Verizon for around $20/month and you can watch TV shows online. Almost all shows that are on non-premium channels are available online within 24-48hrs of showing.

You have to open up to more options and as others have already said, living paycheck-to-paycheck will eventually lead to disaster.

I don't know how I missed your post, Dana. thanks for such a great advice. I have to agree with you that living from paycheck to paycheck is not a good idea.

when I talk about social life, I meant going out with friends for dinners or movies or travelling or even going to the opera and that is not important to me now.

but having a decent workout in a clean nice gym IS important to me. but anyway, this is a different topic.

I will start looking in Astoria hopefully I will find something. if you have another recommendation for another neighborhood, that would be great. thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Another option, though the commute will be longer is Riverdale. It's possible to get a studio on the small side in an older building for well under $1k. The commute will be longer, but it's not much more than you're paying now, and Riverdale is a very safe area, very similar to the UES. With some apartments, even if you took the express bus, which is $45/week, you would still be saving money, compared to Manhattan rents, at double the transit fees. Also, you can take the city bus to the subway from parts of the area not directly on the subway line (much of Riverdale), and can take the 1 train from Broadway, which takes a bit longer as it's not an express, but you can switch to a 2 or 3 at 96th St. for a faster commute. Some Fridays, it's faster than an express bus to take the subway, 2 or 3 to 96th, and then the 1 train to the local bus.

The fastest Riverdale commute option is Metro-North which is under 30 minutes to Midtown, but is $160/month. It's less than the express bus, but it only covers Metro-North, and you would need to buy a Metro Card for use on the subway or bus. The total would be about $250/month, getting passes for both systems, but it would be a very fast commute to Midtown if you need to go to the Grand Central area. If you need to be further uptown, the buses, express or city to subway, might be a better option.

It's worth considering if you don't mind an extra commute, especially since you could save a good deal of money on rent, even paying for transportation, and not compromising safety.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
Quote:
thanks
I don't need a TV then. I pay now about 53 for my cell phone from AT&T and 30 dollars for verizon. I thought if I get cable , phone and internet from verizon, it will be cheaper for me.

am I missing something ?? is this realistic?
get internet,then just watch tv on hulu

Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
Quote:
talking about tenant rights. the people in my current residence want to kick me out. I have done nothing but reached the max stay which is 4 years. Now, I don't get the point why would they kick a foreigner with no family or relatives in the country just to make the room available for another person ? they say that their mission is to help people to find affordable housing on a temp basis. and that I signed an agreement that i would be leaving after a certain amount of time. they argue that I should leave the room for another one who is in need??

wtf, I am in need too.

guys, do I have a case here to fight back and stay in my current place?
you were supposed to get acclimated and established so you wouldn't be in need anymore.

Whoever subsidized you these past years is doing something really great and you want to spit in his face? Come on.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 PM

guys, I have an update and still need opinions.
I gave up the studio and tried to find other shared stituations. I have been interviewing and meeting people to share an apt but nothing has worked so far. so I tried to look for another cheap studio and found one in a pre war building in the 60s off first ave for 1225 a month+ elec. I got approved for that studio.

Now, I also found a room on Putnam Ave for $425 a month. the area is not very good and the M train will make it harder to commute to work in midtown.

anyway, I know that with a home take salary of $2220, it is not wise to rent a $1225 studio. But I am just thinking if I could try this for a year and try to get a part time job. I only have one job at the moment. and if it doesn't work out, and if I can't find a part time job, I will leave.

so the budget will be something like this.

I take home $2220

$1225 rent
$50 -55 electricity ( I am not sure about that number, I am just assuming).
350-400 food ( groceries - coffees- etcz0
83 internet + cell phone
90 transportation
142 gym ( I might cancel that or might not I am not sure yet)
total of 1995- 2000 a month

what is left is $220 ( 110 personal expenses - 100 savings. ) + whatever I get from any part time job.

is it an ok plan for a year? or do you still think it is not wise?

your thoughts??

I have only two weeks to decide because I need to move out by the end of this month.

Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 01:36 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,378 times
To be honest its going to be really tight, but MAN what a great deal!! You can do it. The money is there, you'll just have to be really REALLY careful how you spend your money. Make lunch and bring it, make coffee at home NO CABS. Things of that nature. Personally, I think a gym membership is nonnegotiable. I need to work out, its important for your health and anybody who is in shape wont argue with this. Jogging in central park is a supplement to my work out. A 150/per month memebrship might be a bit much. I pay 110 at H Club. about as nice as equinox, but a but cheaper. Good luck. Let me know what you do! These are good problems to have "Oh which manhattan studio do I rent!" :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City