Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM

582 posts, read 763,846 times

Advertisements

adambos, Thank you so much. Yes, I totally agree that a gym membership is important. to be quiet honest, I need it very much because I need to lose weight. the way I think about it is that having a studio with my own kitchen where I will be able to prepare my meals is a good choice.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is when I posted about this a month ago, people here encourage me and thay said it is not wise to waste all my income without actual savings.

so I am hoping with this new plan, it will work out.

any more feedbacks? thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,101 times
I would still advise against it, unless you land a part-time job before you move. But I'd guess people do crazier things...

Just out of curiosity, why are you having such difficulty finding roommate situations? There's plenty around, and surely you can find something that is more than $425 but less than $1300. As a general rule, I would not even bother looking at an apartment in which your share is less than, say, $600/month.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I would still advise against it, unless you land a part-time job before you move. But I'd guess people do crazier things...

Just out of curiosity, why are you having such difficulty finding roommate situations? There's plenty around, and surely you can find something that is more than $425 but less than $1300. As a general rule, I would not even bother looking at an apartment in which your share is less than, say, $600/month.
honestly, I remember what you said before when I found out about this room. you mentioned that less than $600 a month is not good, why?
what if I find something like that room for $425?? what is wrong with that? I think it is a normal price for an area like Ridgewood.

and the rent for the new studio is 1225 not 1300. I can't really find a better deal than this in Manhattan.

i have been looking for a studio in Astoria but can't find something cheap. they are all expensive. I am assuming that Astoria is an extension of Manhattan these days.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
I'll just re-state what I said last month: you're cutting it too close. But you're a grown-up and I think it's clear you're going to take the studio.

Just one favor- check back in with us in 6 months or a year and tell the other newcomers how life wad on this budget. I honestly & seriously think it will be helpful to many aspiring young New Yorkers.

My bet is that - unless you have extra financial support from family or land a solid second job- you will be $1,500-3,000 in credit card debt after trying to live on that budget. You're going to need amazing willpower to turn down invitations to dinner & drinks with friends and coworkers, that cute pair of boots you see in the window, name-brand groceries, a manicure before a date, chipping in for the boss' holiday present, a cute dress after you lose some weight, going skiing or to the Hamptons for a weekend with friends, taking a cab ride home at 11:30pm after a long bad day at the office, etc. You're going to have to say no to these things 99.9% of the time to stay on budget.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:37 AM

how about the area on 93-94th street and second ave??? I think there might be a chance to rent a room there.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
That's a great area. My first apartment was on 94th and 3rd. You're just afew blocks from the 6 train at 96th & Lex. Fairly quiet neighborhood, but everything you need is there.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
That's a good area as well (2nd in the low 90s), and if it's a nice room, you'd be saving a bundle each month. And, generally, with a share, unlike a rooming house situation, you would have a shared kitchen, so you could still save on food expenses by cooking at home.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 AM

ok. thanks. I am thinking about it very carefully although I am not happy. I am really sad. it is a living situation with a Brazilian hard working woman who stays in the living room and I will be in the bedroom.
I have tried this situation before and it was a complete night mare. she ended up throwing my stuff on the stairs on the last day of my stay.
I am dreading the roommmate situation.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
Wow...I can see how that would not be the best experience looking for a roommate again, especially a share in a 1BR. Although it's a great neighborhood, I don't know if that would be the best situation, either.

If you take the studio on your own, you will have to be extremely careful with expenses, which could be done, depending upon how disciplined you are with your spending until you supplement your income or get a raise. And, there might be ways to trim the budget a bit, if you're thrifty at the food store, for example, and buy things on sale to stock up -- basics like soup and other items that you can store for a while, etc.

The only hiccup is the lack of utilities in the rent because that could really cause an issue for your budget during the summer months with air conditioning costs.

I think that around $800-$900, you could get into a decent share in Manhattan, 2-3BR apartment, where everyone has a bedroom, not using the common living space as a room. It might be Midtown East, or the far east UES, or parts of the UWS, but it would not be a bad neighborhood.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM

what makes me uncomfortable also about this woman is she said she has a bf who is " crazy" and he asks her for money or/ and to move in with him. I have a feeling he is a trouble.

another thing, she has two kids from a pervious marriage and they come and sleep over on the weekend.

now, what is up with the homeless people and beggers who wander around that area? I have met at least 3 of them who bothered me. one of them is staying in front of the building " like a doorman".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City